Tire Question for the PSMCD racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Question for the PSMCD racers

Are you guys running radials or bias ply tires? And what typical air pressure are you running?

Thanks

Pat
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

I don't run there but I go to the races and most are using bias tires.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
      Are you guys running radials or bias ply tires? And what typical air pressure are you running?

Thanks

Pat
      Most of us Stude people are running radials. The bias seem to hold better if you get them hot and put a lot of pressure in them but the car drives and rides so much better with the radials that's the reason I run them and I suspect is the same for the others. I run about 25 pounds pressure, not sure about the others.

Ted

Comment

Thanks, that helps.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA

Comment

As with Ted I run radial Firestone 500s with 26lbs of air. As 2R5 said a lot of brand X racers run bias and have some great 60' times with them. And as Ted said they put a lot of air in them and get them good and hot. I didn't have good luck with them.
          Richard
          The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Input from successful racers as Ted and Richard really helps. Even if the bias ply do work for some like 2R5 said, I don't plan to switch, just want to figure the best way to run my everyday radials on my very occasional trips to the track. I have watched the videos of you guys and see that you just do short dry burn out then stage and go. In the past I have not done the dry burn out, but will give that a try. We have some nice cool weather this week and I am planning to hit the Wednesday night street drags at Sacramento Raceway.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA

Comment

I am running Michelin 215X70X15 Radials with 40lbs in the fronts ( to lessen rolling resistance) and 32lbs in the rear tires for traction. I recently switched to Michelin X ICE radials which provide better traction.

Comment

Originally posted by KOOL R2 View Post
                I am running Michelin 215X70X15 Radials with 40lbs in the fronts ( to lessen rolling resistance) and 32lbs in the rear tires for traction. I recently switched to Michelin X ICE radials which provide better traction.
                I'll bet those X Ice radials will be had to find in California! Peter's Avanti hooks up really well those tires.

Allen
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I believe that the PS in PSMCD stands for pure stock. If the cars are supposed to be pure stock, how can any Studebaker run with radial tires?
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, the PSMCDR tire rules read as follows: "Reproduction tires or radial tires only. No soft compound tires of any kind allowed. Retread tires are not allowed. Use of traction compounds or rubber softening chemicals on tires is strictly prohibited. Suspicious tires will be durometered." About tire sizes, they will not allow Studebakers to use 60-series tires because that size did not exist when Studes were new. They do allow G-70 or equivalent. And "all four tires (and wheels) must be the same size." Safety probably enters into their decisions.

The Wrapper has Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 radials; size is 235/70/15. Front and rear tires do not have to be the same manufacturer, but they must have the same size on the sidewall.

Years ago, I spotted one car (not a Studebaker) with retreads. That situation caused the organizers to ban retreads, thus preventing a very soft tread from being installed on a standard street tire casing.

I have kept all of the hundreds of time slips for the Wrapper, and a couple of years ago, I calculated the average 60 foot time for the reproduction F-70/G-70 Firestone bias-ply tires. The average 60' for the Firestone Indy 500 radials is almost exactly the same. We run about 25 lbs.

Using street tires for drag racing is kind of like having a fuse in an electrical circuit...you don't break as many stock parts when the tires spin.

Hope this helps.

George
                    Last edited by R3 challenger; 05-21-2012, 12:01 PM.
                    george krem

Comment

Thanks for the complete response, George. See you in SB.
                      Like the old saying; "It is better to break traction than to break parts." or "If I have to break something, I hope that it is traction."
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I wonder if someone had a vintage pair of Atlas Bucron(sp?) tires they would allow them.

When my dad and uncle were racing their '51 starlight in the late 1960's that was about the only tire they would use in the rear. My dad said they got great traction but the compound was such that they would not make any sound when they were slipping...

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                          I wonder if someone had a vintage pair of Atlas Bucron(sp?) tires they would allow them.

When my dad and uncle were racing their '51 starlight in the late 1960's that was about the only tire they would use in the rear. My dad said they got great traction but the compound was such that they would not make any sound when they were slipping...
                          That's what we ran on our 55 Chebby drag car in the 60's but I'll bet the aforementioned, Michelin X ICE radials, will be every bit as good.

Bob

Comment

Good thought on the Bucrons. The R2 Super Lark tested in the December, 1963, Motor Trend had 6.70 X 15 Firestone Butylaires. It posted a very good (for the time) 0-30 time of 2.9 seconds. Anyone know if those were similar to the Atlas tire?

George
                            george krem

Comment

just in case anyone is interested:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X