Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

studebaker factory parts bin holder thingy? what is this?! HELP PLEASE :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studebaker factory parts bin holder thingy? what is this?! HELP PLEASE :)

Hi! I am new here, I signed up hoping you studebaker buffs could send some of your knowledge my way.

I found this at a garage sale and bought it, but I don't know what it is:

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I don't know what it is either but it sure is cool!! I have somthing similar to it that I use to transport dogs in the back of my truck. Only mine has a top and doesn't Studebaker on it. But now that I,v seen this, I may put it on. NT
    Neil Thornton

Comment

Clothes hamper for dirty uniforms?
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

forgot to mention it's also collapsible

Comment

My guess is a mail tub. Studebaker got lots of mail and they would just have their own tubs to make it easier.

This would look great in the back of a zip van. Wanna get rid of it????

Comment

Used in machine shops the world over for holding and transporting machined parts.
            They are called wire baskets.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
              My guess is a mail tub. Studebaker got lots of mail and they would just have their own tubs to make it easier.

This would look great in the back of a zip van. Wanna get rid of it????
              I would get rid of it, once I figure out a rough value... So far, I haven't seen much to base a good idea off of...

Comment

Yes sir, that's the real deal. That one would have either been used for taking parts to the production line or used in the parts and service division. We have a few of them still in use at SI.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

I wonder how it ended up south of the twin cities. There was the parts repository in Minneapolis...perhaps it came from there?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                    I wonder how it ended up south of the twin cities. There was the parts repository in Minneapolis...perhaps it came from there?
                    That's probably the case. The other way is if a dealership ordered a large order, Plant 8 could have sent out the whole order in that basket and never got it back.
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                      That's probably the case. The other way is if a dealership ordered a large order, Plant 8 could have sent out the whole order in that basket and never got it back.
                      actually i found it at a garage sale in cokato... i should have asked the guy how he got it

Comment

Originally posted by Hannahconda View Post
                        actually i found it at a garage sale in cokato... i should have asked the guy how he got it
                        Any chance you could go back and ask him? There may be a good story here!
                        sigpic

Comment

I worked 30 years in the Auto industry (Fisher Body/Oldsmobile) these types of wire bins called 'gondolas' were common for shipping, storing, and delivering parts to the assembly line. I have pulled literally tens of thousands of parts out of similar bins.
                          Back when SASCO was still operating there were still bins like this filled with leftover parts. I remember this particularly, because one May swap meet at Sasco I had purchased a set of nice but used '64 stainless stone guards. Another vendor upon seeing them asked me how much I had paid, and then motioning behind him said; 'Look at this'; There sat one of these identical bins filled with thousands of NOS stone guards. Evidently part of that leftover inventory that SASCO never got around to inventorying or offering for sale.
                          I have often wondered what became of all of those stone-guards, I would guess there were more in that single bin than all of '64s surviving.

It is common for the manufactures to ship such bins out to their suppliers of sub-assemblies (wiper motors, starters, wire harnesses, small trim, and such.) to be filled and returned. Parts which are to be delivered directly to the assembly lines are not usually individually boxed.
                          No doubt when Studebaker ended production there would have been a great many of these containers still out at suppliers, never to be filled or returned.
                          Last edited by Jessie J.; 05-21-2012, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Were these bins moved with forklifts?
                            sigpic

Comment

Yes, they are heavy, and designed for stacking, and when filled with parts can weigh well over a ton. Forgot to point out the hinged drop-front which allows the workers easier access to load and unload as the parts pile is depleated.

Comment

Working...
                              X