Clutchless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutchless

On the way home from a show with the R2 clone Thursday night this happened.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark! Did the clutch just "explode"? Hope no other damage was done.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Must have been a Corvette or something quickly disappearing behind you

My Dad once had all but one of the rivets bust out of a clutch on his 53 coupe. Bumped the pedal until it centered itself and then drove it the 70 miles to my grandparents house where it was fixed...

Comment

Been there, done that.
        When SI or other suppliers rebuild these clutches, do they replace JUST the fiber material or do they also replace the sheet metal mounting tabs that are riveted onto the center disc?

If you look at thier catalog, they sell just the fiber material, but not the black spring steel mount tabs. I worry that if those are not replaced, at least every so often, those will worry and break.

On my old race bug motors we would twist off the fiber and those tabs alot. We had to start going to the 3 puck ceramic disc because the center steel was alot thicker under the pucks.

Side question, related though, Sadly my truck has the 9.25" clutch, does anyone have a crossover part number or a high performance disc and PP cross reference I could find?

Comment

That was a NOS disc. If your truck has the truck bell housing, Studebaker had an 11 inch . Also there is enough room to use a diafram pressure plate. I'm using the 11 in diafram out of a 4.3 s 10 in mine. If you use the gm clutch disc, the center of the flywheel needs to be made larger as the hub has a larger diameter. Jim

Comment

Kelly, with a bit of digging, I could probably scare up the proper truck V8 bellhousing, flywheel, and transmission. Unlike the crank, they wouldn't be freebies. The chancier part would be finding the proper engine mounts and shift rods to complete the deal.

Edit: Quite likely I have a new clutch disc and PP as well.
            Last edited by Roscomacaw; 05-19-2012, 12:19 PM.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I am sure that the 11" disc would be much better, but everything is dialed in with what I have. The bell housing is dialed in to the block. The clutch works smoothly and perfectly. The shift rods are perfectly adjusted. I hate the thought of having to change all of that for a bit bigger clutch. Unfortunately I have the small car bell housing and can not just swap flywheel, and disc and PP. It would require all of the list I just sited to be redone.

Then my motor mounts are all set. They are a bit far forward from what they should be if they had used the correct trans cross member and everything else.
              I am just not sure I am ready to pull out all of the stuff that works so well. Then of course if I toast any more clutches, that is a pain to swap mout and expensive as well....how do you spell canundrum?

edit: Just realized going to the truck bell housing and bigger clutch may also affect my drive shaft length, radiator hoses, throttle linkage, power brake booster vacum line, and goodness know how much more stuff. And thanks for thinking of me Bob. Any chance you have a NOS 9.25" disc and PP for sale?
              Last edited by kmac530; 05-19-2012, 01:54 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Yep! Just about EVERYTHING is different save for the engine block. Even the water pump manifold is different for a truck!
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yeah that is TOO much stuff to change just to increase the clutch size. I will just put in a new 9.25" and try to be less hard on it than I have been lately.

Comment

I may well have a new disc here. I'll look.

Comment

You have a 9 1/4" clutch in an R 2??? You say you have a "small car bell housing". If it out of a '55 or later car, then you should be able to use at least a 10" clutch and probably a 10 1/4" or even a 10 1/2" or sometimes referred to as 10.4".

Ted

Comment

Ted, he has a 2r5 pick up. Sure is easy to mix that up. Jim

Comment

No Ted the R2 has a 10 1/2.
                          The 9.5 is someone else
                          James
                          sigpic

Comment

I am sorry....I think I inadvertanly hi-jacked here. My bad.

Comment

Thats cool no harm done
                              James
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X