1950 and 1951 Commander dashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 and 1951 Commander dashes

I learn something new almost every day. While at the May meet the other week I got a 1950 Commander dash. I compared it to the dash in my '53 prototype which has a 1951 Commander dash. Call me unobservant, but I never noticed that there was a difference in the center of the dashes until I put them side by side. The dash in the '53 is deacent, but beat up. The '50 is in a little better shape. Are '50 and '51 dashes the same size to bolt on? And can somebody post a couple photos of a complete 1950 and 1951 Commander interior for comparison?
    Thanks
    Chris Dresbach

They should interchange.
    Here's a fun site for you, Chris.
    http://sites.google.com/site/identif...entpanels/home

On the left side, select Instrument panels, 1950's N-Z

Instrument Panels
    1930s A-DE-MN-Z

1940s A-DE-MN-Z
    1950s A-DE-MN-Z
    1960s A-DE-MN-Z

Last edited by rockne10; 05-17-2012, 07:53 PM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

That had exactly what I was looking for.

1950 Commander/Land Cruiser

1951 Commander

1951/53 prototype
      *note the center gauge is cut at the bottom, possibly to hold a steering column?
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

I'll take a page from my '55 to answer about the steering column. There is probably a bar back there on the dash, that holds a clamp that was bolted in place. The clamp holds the steering column in position, and the decorative part of the instrument panel on the front is, or was probably notched to fit over the upper half of the tube on the steering column, or the instrument panel was designed to mold around the upper part of the column. The instrument panel overlay, and it's notch, was not much more than a decorative piece, and may not have held the steering column in any major fashion.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

The 50 Commander dash was so much better looking than the 51's. When they downsized for 51, they cheapened the dash too!
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

True, Brad, but, they more than made up for it in the new powerplant! And suspension!
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

But, 50 Commanders had a very similar set-up as 51-up, and the houdialle shocks were adjustable, and nearly lasted forever. The suspension was a forerunner of the next years design, in that it was coil spring, and center point steering too. (and the frames didn't flex)
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
              X