Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    She's a 1971 AM General M-813.
    As cool as that rig is- I think it'd be even cooler if the builder's plate read

S T U D E B A K E R

Yup~ Stude made 'em too!!!

StudeDave '57
    I kid 'cuz I'm a kidder
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Dean, I would imagine that you'd need to make inquiries from the registration and licencing department in your state of future residence, likely if you have an American truck license you could get an Aussie one. Where are you thinking of living?
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
        Man Bob your killing me, That has to be so fun to operate.
        Is it yours ???, It has a center pin and rotates right ? I don't see any outriggers?
        If you need a fully certified operator give me a call, I'll work for free you fly me there!

As long as I get a picture of me in it.

Wow just mount a welder and some other equipment on there and get to work !

Dean.
        Dean- funny story on how I got to know the truck.

I am downsizing my stuff in preparation for a move to my other property where my dream shop/home is in the process. I listed a bunch of cars on eBay. One thing was a Holmes 440 wrecker without a truck. When it sold, the buyer said he could load it with his own truck. He showed up with a dump truck and this one! Plucked the wrecker and put it in the dump truck without a problem. I fell in love with that truck right then.

Since then, Eric (owner) and I have become fast friends, and he has been over several times loading equipment and parts cars. I can't believe he lives 20 minutes away and I had never met him before. We're both car lovers, plus he's into military trucks as well, and has several. I love playing with the thing, and seeing just how far it can be pushed. So far, we have not been able to find any limitation- literally. It will carry a DeSoto through mud up to the cab and keep right on going. We tried it!

Yes, the crane and operator cab pivots. I think I saw outriggers, but thus far there has been no need for any. Eric tells me it can lift a deuce-and-a-half; so a car barely affects it.

Somewhere (I believe Midwest) they get together and have competitions pushing the capabilities of these things. One I'm settled in the new place (couple years) I plan to go with him to see that. In the meantime, I have his word that if he decides to sell it I get first dibs. Not likely to happen anytime soon from a guy whose daily driver is a camo ex-Army '83 Blazer As much as I have loved the big trucks I could never justify owning one just for looking at. But one like this, that can do work I need done? Whole different story.....
        Last edited by Bob Andrews; 05-17-2012, 03:18 AM.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Hi John,
          I wish I could move there Australia has always seemed so exciting and just "different".
          If I were to move there I would like for it to be in the greener rainforest type area as I am also a cycad collector and there are some amazing natural cycad habitats there. If you don't know what they are google macrozamia macdonnellii, a plant I would love to have just seed of and they only come from one small area on the entire planet another is lepidozamia peroffskyana.
          I would imagine they are far apart as far as localities and the first far more rare than the latter.
          I always thought that it was hard to gain citizenship there ?

Smart folks you aussie's

Dean.
          PS. Sudebakers rule (for content)
          Originally posted by avantilover View Post
          Dean, I would imagine that you'd need to make inquiries from the registration and licencing department in your state of future residence, likely if you have an American truck license you could get an Aussie one. Where are you thinking of living?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            Dean- funny story on how I got to know the truck.

I am downsizing my stuff in preparation for a move to my other property where my dream shop/home is in the process. I listed a bunch of cars on eBay. One thing was a Holmes 440 wrecker without a truck. When it sold, the buyer said he could load it with his own truck. He showed up with a dump truck and this one! Plucked the wrecker and put it in the dump truck without a problem. I fell in love with that truck right then.

Since then, Eric (owner) and I have become fast friends, and he has been over several times loading equipment and parts cars. I can't believe he lives 20 minutes away and I had never met him before. We're both car lovers, plus he's into military trucks as well, and has several. I love playing with the thing, and seeing just how far it can be pushed. So far, we have not been able to find any limitation- literally. It will carry a DeSoto through mud up to the cab and keep right on going. We tried it!

Yes, the crane and operator cab pivots. I think I saw outriggers, but thus far there has been no need for any. Eric tells me it can lift a deuce-and-a-half; so a car barely affects it.

Somewhere (I believe Midwest) they get together and have competitions pushing the capabilities of these things. One I'm settled in the new place (couple years) I plan to go with him to see that. In the meantime, I have his word that if he decides to sell it I get first dibs. Not likely to happen anytime soon from a guy whose daily driver is a camo ex-Army '83 Blazer As much as I have loved the big trucks I could never justify owning one just for looking at. But one like this, that can do work I need done? Whole different story.....
            Bob, Careful pushing it to the limit, When you find the point of no return it can sometimes be too late and depending on the reason could result in tipping or even worse yet structural damage.
            Tipping as long as the load is close to the ground is one thing it will just set the load on the ground and stop but it is also possible to buckle the boom or tear out an outrigger. I'm sure it has a chart on it, If you and the owner are not familiar with it there is a distinct line across it and one side when you reach the max. is tipping and the other side when you reach the max. you tear something up.

Be careful and dont have too much fun.

Dean.

Comment

Here's some information for you Dean,

The first is a "How to get a driver's licence in Queensland" which has tropical rainforest and I'm sure Matt would help you if you came down http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/...e-holders.aspx

This one is from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship and has all the information and contacts to answer any questions you have. http://www.immi.gov.au/

Best of luck
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Very kewl videos,

Cep'n those nutters are driving on the wrong side of the street! Where's a traffic cop when you need one?
                Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                Kenmore, Washington
                hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                '69 Pontiac Firebird
                (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

I hasten to add once more, upside-down, too.
                  You have to wonder how they manage it.

Comment

Originally posted by comatus View Post
                    I hasten to add once more, upside-down, too.
                    You have to wonder how they manage it.
                    That's easy. They're so full of hot air that it keeps them pressed against the underside of the planet. Heck, everyone knows that!!!
                    Kenmore, Washington
                    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                    '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Hi John,
                      I wish I could move there Australia has always seemed so exciting and just "different".
                      If I were to move there I would like for it to be in the greener rainforest type area as I am also a cycad collector and there are some amazing natural cycad habitats there. If you don't know what they are google macrozamia macdonnellii, a plant I would love to have just seed of and they only come from one small area on the entire planet another is lepidozamia peroffskyana.
                      I would imagine they are far apart as far as localities and the first far more rare than the latter.
                      I always thought that it was hard to gain citizenship there ?

Smart folks you aussie's

Dean.
                      PS. Sudebakers rule (for content)
                      Here's a trick Dean - Just float ashore in a clapped out fishing boat, say your refugeee and the Govt will put you up in a 4 star motel and throw money at you, hell they might even buy you a Stude if you ask !

Mike: Leave the comedy to me OK ... ;-)
                      Matt
                      Brisbane
                      Australia
                      sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Matt,

Can I stow away in one of your containers with an inflatable raft and then jump overboard a mile from shore and claim I'm a weather refugee?
                        Kenmore, Washington
                        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                        '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Hey,
                          I'll just see if I can mount some paddles on my 52 A little sealer around the bottom and get someone to shove us off a boat nearby.
                          Call you when I get close.

Dean.
                          Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
                          Here's a trick Dean - Just float ashore in a clapped out fishing boat, say your refugeee and the Govt will put you up in a 4 star motel and throw money at you, hell they might even buy you a Stude if you ask !

Mike: Leave the comedy to me OK ... ;-)

Comment

Hey,
                            I'll just see if I can mount some paddles on my 52 A little sealer around the bottom and get someone to shove us off a boat nearby.
                            Call you when I get close.

Dean.
                            Hey Dean , if you and Mike arrive in the row boat, and claim your a couple, Australia is your oyster..... ;-) But you might have to paint your 1st Stude pink bababhahahahahahaha.
                            Matt
                            Brisbane
                            Australia
                            sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

I'll only do that if I can be the husband half. I look lousy in pumps.
                              Last edited by hausdok; 05-19-2012, 08:20 AM.
                              Kenmore, Washington
                              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                              '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Working...
                              X