Advance Party transporting trucks to front line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advance Party transporting trucks to front line

This photo was taken by a fellow local Stude Club member, he transported these trucks on a 2,000 mile round trip to Military Vehicle Show.

Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Is that his rig or is he paying for the transport? Trucks look nice.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Wow; very nice picture and units. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wow,

That's a lot of $ in those tanks. Hope it was worth the trip for him.
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

That is a really nice picture.
          Nice trucks of course too,.. Including the big rig.
          We don't have trailers quite like that here in California.
          Makes me want to drive it ! (all of them)

Dean.

Comment

That is the way to do it~ DIGG IT!!!

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
            We don't have trailers quite like that here in California. Dean.
            They're closer then you think.
            Take a trip up this way, you'll find similar ones up here!!!
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Matt. Any idea how many of these still survive in Oz?
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Excellent photo - bet they didn't even need ramps to get those trucks on - just crawled them up there.

I believe the Australian military received a number of these vehicles at the end of the war. And considering the British control in the Middle East there were probably many rescued before the Soviets could snatch them all up.

By the way, the Roo Bar on the big rig sure brings back memories. Actually starting to see many bigger trucks here in the states with similar arrangements - our pesky Roos have four legs on the ground and males can many times have a nice spread of horns...sure mess up a good front end and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                  Thanks for sharing, Matt. Any idea how many of these still survive in Oz?
                  John - The truck was loaned to him by his boss, it's his every day work truck. Originally he was going to hire one but the cost was $9K, so his boss helped out.

Here are some pics for the truck lovers.

A ' Double B Double' road train

Mike - The fuel cost about $2K for the trip. (Diesel is on average about $5.67 / US gal here)

Ross - There are about 50 Stude 6 x 6 on the road here in Oz, and from what I've been told the Australian Army still uses them for driver training. About every twent years or so when they wear out the army assembles some replacments from the crated ones still in storage left over from WW2, (not an urban myth).
                  http://youtu.be/64NxXb_4Omk
                  Last edited by Aussie Hawk; 05-16-2012, 04:37 PM.
                  Matt
                  Brisbane
                  Australia
                  sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

I notice all those trucks have a heavy rad guard, I presume they are for beating off the kangaroo
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

If I relocate "down under" can I drive one of those ????
                      I do have an "A" liscense here in the U.S.

Those are so cool !

Dean.
                      Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
                      John - The truck was loaned to him by his boss, it's his every day work truck. Originally he was going to hire one but the cost was $9K, so his boss helped out.

Here are some pics for the truck lovers.

A ' Double B Double' road train

Mike - The fuel cost about $2K for the trip. (Diesel is on average about $5.67 / US gal here)

Ross - There are about 50 Stude 6 x 6 on the road here in Oz, and from what I've been told the Australian Army still uses them for driver training. About every twent years or so when they wear out the army assembles some replacments from the crated ones still in storage left over from WW2, (not an urban myth).
                      http://youtu.be/64NxXb_4Omk

Comment

I like the looks of that Mack Superliner in the top photo. Must have a MUCH larger engine than was available when that series of Mack was built here in the states as I dont recall having ever seen any with dual air intakes.
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                          I like the looks of that Mack Superliner in the top photo. Must have a MUCH larger engine than was available when that series of Mack was built here in the states as I dont recall having ever seen any with dual air intakes.
                          Need to watch a few YT videos of some road trains going through the outback - then you will understand the need for a lot of air filtering!

Comment

Cool trucks! I've got a thing for big military trucks. Here's what I've been playing with the last couple months:

She's a 1971 AM General M-813. Originally for Army equipment loading, then owned by a Midwest city, and bought as surplus before coming here. It's 6 wheel drive, 30 ton winch on front, and the boom will lift a 5600 lb. Lincoln off the ground, no problem. Goes 55 on the road with ease. It is just simply unstoppable. I call it The Boss. Completely in love!
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Man Bob your killing me, That has to be so fun to operate.
                              Is it yours ???, It has a center pin and rotates right ? I don't see any outriggers?
                              If you need a fully certified operator give me a call, I'll work for free you fly me there!

As long as I get a picture of me in it.

Wow just mount a welder and some other equipment on there and get to work !

Dean.

Comment

Working...
                              X