Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to restoration and studebakers (1965 studebaker daytona)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to restoration and studebakers (1965 studebaker daytona)

hey, im a 16 yr old kid who bought a 1965 studebaker with tons of brand new parts and im looking to restore it, theres alot of rust on the chassis but that can be sand blasted, the car is not running currently.

Im just wondering how much this car might be worth restored and if anyone would buy it restored or not? idk much about cars im just a kid but i sure love this one and i want to have somthing to be proud of!
    any help/ pointers/ or advice would be great!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by StudeDan23; 05-17-2012, 03:33 PM. Reason: adding pics

Welcome Dan!

Those are good cars. Inspect it carefully for the major repairs/ rust. Try to look it over and create a realistic work plan based on skills you have, skills you can learn and be prepared to get dirty, get help or sometimes pay for what you can't do.. Hang out here and learn as you go/ learn before you run into problems. Have fun.

Comment

Look it over good before you buy. Know going in you will more than likely have more in the car than its worth when your done so only buy it if you want it for you. Find a small Ma-Pa body shop in your area looking for a bodyshop helper and go to work for them if you work hard most small shop owners will teach you what you need to know to rebuild your car.

Comment

Very few of us got into Studebakers with the idea of making a profit on it. So don't worry about what it might be worth when you're "finished". Just enjoy the rebuild, spend within your means, and then enjoy the heck out of it! Welcome to our world!
        ~Matt Connor
        '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Welcome Dan!

If you haven't already, you should purchase a shop manual and body parts manual from one of the many parts dealers listed on the Studebaker home page. And while you're at it, join the SDC club. The monthy newsletter/magazine, Turning Wheels, has a wealth of information in it and for first time members there is a discount on dues.

Mike

Comment

Hey Dan, welcome to the Forum! That's a great car and will make a wonderful driver when you're done, should you choose to do so. We're glad to have you here - don't be shy about asking questions and posting photos! We're here to help

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome aboard Dan.
              There are a lot of very helpful people here and loads of fun to be had with your new hobby.

Dean.

Comment

I was 17 when I bought my first one (1973) and enjoyed working on it and driving it. They are a nice sensible car but I'll warn you that 283 is THIRSTY! We need pictures! As to value, if you can get it up to a strong safe driver, cleaned up ....I'd guess a few thousand. Nice new paint , good interior, reliable drivetrain and a twenty footer , maybe 8k...do it all up, close to show with rebuilt or NOS everything...top notch long term restoration ...probably 15k. The kicker here is no way unless you become a good mechanic/body man...the $$$$$ you spend on a restoration of a non"special" studebaker will never be recouped. You do it as a labor of love and forget about value. I personally think these late Daytonas 64-66 are near the top of the Studebaker Food Chain and have lots of room to appreciate in value. At the risk of offending 97% of forum members, these late 2 door Sedans, the flashier the better, are perhaps the only "non goofy" looking Studebaker you will see today. Putting good money into a correct restoration rather than a rushed in and out patch and re engine...essentially diminishing the value of the car...you'd be smart doing that. Listen kid, you have something us old farts would give up our hound dog for....youth. Grrrrr

Comment

Just wondering if you have a 2dr Daytona Sports Sedan or if it's a Daytona Wagonaire. I didn't see it mentioned. I have a 65 Daytona Wagonaire myself. Both are nice cars to have.

Comment

well how thirsty is that 283? lol and I agree, we need pics!
                    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Welcome to the madness Dan!!!
                      You are not alone~
                      there are quite a few '65s and '66s up there and just South of the Border from you.

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
                      well how thirsty is that 283? lol and I agree, we need pics!
                      I've managed as high as 22MPG towing a trailer...

but your mileage may vary depending on how heavy your foot is...
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                        Welcome to the madness Dan!!!
                        You are not alone~
                        there are quite a few '65s and '66s up there and just South of the Border from you.

I've managed as high as 22MPG towing a trailer...

but your mileage may vary depending on how heavy your foot is...
                        lol I am very light on the pedal 99/100. Going to do what I can to save the MPG's in it.... ditch the back seat to cut weight lol. Just Kidding...

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                          Welcome aboard Dan.
                          There are a lot of very helpful people here and loads of fun to be had with your new hobby.

Dean.
                          ...........what he said.
                          Welcome, Dan! Have fun with you new project.I have owned my '65 Daytona for about 12 years or so and it's FAAAAR from done.Enjoy it, have fun with it,and when it gets to be too much like work, let it go for a few days.PM me any time; I'll tell you what I did/am doing with mine.I'll give you the straight scoop and help you (via the magic of the Forum) as much as I can.Good luck!!

Comment

im not looking to make a profit i just wanted to know if i got a good deal

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDan23 View Post
                              im not looking to make a profit i just wanted to know if i got a good deal
                              Anytime you get a Stude its a good deal. We need pics to give you a better idea. It's only a good deal if you think you got it for a fair price. I guess we just need more info...

Comment

Working...
                              X