Josh and Papa, sick kid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh and Papa, sick kid!

We havn't done much on Joshua's Lark lately. He's been busy with school and after school activitys. He's been driving it around the farm some and I noticed the tell tale signs of a broken motor mount.
    Saturday we decided to get into fixing it. BIGGER job than I thought! There's not much to replacing mounts on my silver Hawk. I've done it several times over the past 35 years.
    A 60 Lark V8 with power steering is different story. First remove PS pump, all belts and heater hoses. Then I can see the top nuts, can get a wrench on them but not enough room to turn them. Can't get a socket and ratchet in there. Drag link is in the way on the bottom left.
    Finally resorted to the dreaded FLEX socket. IT WORKED!!! Gently lifted the engine with the hoist, put the new mounts in and set'er down. Got it all put back togather and Josh was ready to call it a day.
    We were both covered with the nastyest dirt and grease you ever saw, so after some intense scrubbing and a change of clothes, Josh wanted to ride some back roads in it. A favorite pastime in South Ga.
    We probably put more miles on that old car yesterday than it has had in the past 20 years.
    We rode out by the Lake, by the old confederate campground cemetery, explored the back roads of 2 countys and found ourselves on a dirt road near the river. Josh asked if he could drive. Well, he's only 12 and has only been driving for 5 years, but noone uses this road except hunters, and hunting season is about over, so what the heck?
    Josh rambled all over the river swamps and dirt roads til the gas gauge said we needed to head for home.
    We had a great time except, even though the exhaust system was brand new in January, We must have pulled somthing loose when we lifted the engine. To make matters worse the right side window won't open.
    Joshua has suffered with Asthma since birth, but has not had an attach in a long-long time. We had hoped he had out grown it. We were wrong. Josh is in the ER right now getting Breathing treatments. His grandma who is a nurse at the local hosp. said the fumes coming into the car must have triggered it.

And I had to answer to his Mama and Grandma for it. Those Grandsons are always getting me in trouble.
    Neil Thornton

geesh, Neil, this comeback of the asthma is upsetting. I'm sure he'll be ok.

You gotta fix that stupid exhaust leak!

Comment

Gotta fix that window too!
      Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
      geesh, Neil, this comeback of the asthma is upsetting. I'm sure he'll be ok.

I'm sure he'll pull through OK. He's a tough kid. HE has had more than his share of illness.
      You gotta fix that stupid exhaust leak!
      Last edited by rockinhawk; 05-13-2012, 04:38 PM.
      Neil Thornton

Comment

If you don't find a leak in the exhaust system check and make sure your trunk is sealed well, with no holes in the floor boards because that can cause suction into the passenger compartment from the rear exhaust outlet. The is especially true if you have a window open. Just drive down the road with your trunk open and you can experience this. you may have a leak at the manifold which could come in if you have holes in the passenger area.
        don

Comment

Other than the ER trip, sounds like a fun day! Hope Josh is OK now.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

I'm all too familiar with what asthma will do to you. I hope he recovers quickly.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Could be just the dust and dirt kicked up on the back roads too ?
              Hope all is better by now !

Dean.

Comment

Hi Neal, hope Josh will be feeling better soon

Comment

Joshua is doing much better today. Turns out the ER Doctor is a former Studebaker owner.
                  Josh has been to the ER for several Studebaker related incidents.
                  At age 2 He drank gas from a Mountain Dew bottle I was using to prime a carb.
                  At age 4 He sliced his foot on a piece of rusty metal.
                  At age 7 Asthma triggered by dust from sanding.
                  At age 10 Stitches from a starter falling on his head.
                  Now at 12 Asthma triggered by exhaust fumes.

Yet he still loves his car! He's one tough and cool kid. He is looking forward to his first trip to South Bend This year.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

Found the leak!! Blown gasket where head pipe bolts to right manifold. i guess we broke it loose when we picked the motor up.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                      Josh has been to the ER for several Studebaker related incidents.
                      At age 2 He drank gas from a Mountain Dew bottle I was using to prime a carb.
                      At age 4 He sliced his foot on a piece of rusty metal.
                      At age 7 Asthma triggered by dust from sanding.
                      At age 10 Stitches from a starter falling on his head.
                      Now at 12 Asthma triggered by exhaust fumes.
                      Neil, that is my kind of kid. And, my kind of life. Seems like too many kids are sheltered in the text and Facebook and video game world. Those scars will just add character. Good for him- and his Grampa!
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Mr. Thornton, he will remember all those mishaps fondly
                        in years to come.Wish i still had my Grandpa today to hear what
                        he thought of the cars in his days.
                        He taught me to drive in a Holden HA pickup.
                        Hope Josh feels better soon.

Regards,
                        Peet

Comment

Glad to hear Josh is better and you found the leak. He sounds tough. Memories he will have from all this, are what I have in my mind from my Dad and Grandad. GREAT memories. I am the Grandad now, and I know, I still have the memories.

Comment

Thanks for all the WELL WISHES everyone, Josh is doing much better now. Looking into a different type of treatment that was reccomended here. Josh seems receptive to the idea.
                            We have been working on his car each afternoon. Got 2 of the windows working. Removed the regulator from another and rebuilt it but havn't got it back in yet. At least he can get some fresh air.

Every once in awhile Josh will sigh and say"I just love my car." That makes it all worth while for me.

School ended for him Tuesday so he has been going to work with me and his Dad. When it came time to pay off today He told me to just keep his pay untill we went to South Bend. He says he is going to work all summer nd not draw his pay so he will have a pocketful of money to spend on parts.
                            But then he wanted to stop by the local parts store. He needed a few things but didn't have any money so ha says "Papa, can you get this for me?"
                            I tell you this kid is slick! Reminds me of another kid that usta hang out with me.
                            Neil Thornton

Comment

Must of had some of that "smart southern" rasin'!! <G>

Jim
                              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                              their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                              X