Cheap gas on Route 66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap gas on Route 66

On my way home from Mt. Vernon today my son and I stopped in Spencer, MO for a photo op.

Gas is still pretty cheap in Spencer!

Last edited by Gary1953; 05-12-2012, 07:22 PM.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Neat picture Gary.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have seen an old postcard of that building. But then again, there are hundreds of those old "Ozarks Giraffe" style buildings still standing. My grandparents house and all out buildings were built that way.
      "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
        I'm pretty sure I have seen an old postcard of that building. But then again, there are hundreds of those old "Ozarks Giraffe" style buildings still standing. My grandparents house and all out buildings were built that way.
        Yes, Gary; neat picture.

Dwain: To what does the phrase "Ozarks Giraffe" refer? 'Never seen / heard of it before. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Very cool picture.
          Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
          Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

I like the car. Bud

Comment

That says Turning Wheels cover to me....cool. Junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Dwain: To what does the phrase "Ozarks Giraffe" refer? 'Never seen / heard of it before. BP
                It's a fairly new term to me also. I've always just called it Ozarks sandstone. In that part of the country there is a lot of this slab rock. Usually applied to a wood frame building as siding and using morter or more often what appears to be asphalt. It was cheap, lasted forever, insulated well, and needed hardly any maintenance. The rock can be found in a range of colors from light tan to dark brown, and the irregular pattern supposedly resembles giraffe markings.
                Actually the 'Spencer' building in the photo above might be entirely rock.
                "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                  It's a fairly new term to me also. I've always just called it Ozarks sandstone. In that part of the country there is a lot of this slab rock. Usually applied to a wood frame building as siding and using morter or more often what appears to be asphalt. It was cheap, lasted forever, insulated well, and needed hardly any maintenance. The rock can be found in a range of colors from light tan to dark brown, and the irregular pattern supposedly resembles giraffe markings.
                  Actually the 'Spencer' building in the photo above might be entirely rock.
                  Interesting, Dwain. Thanks. Bob
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Awesome picture!!!

Comment

Great Picture.
                      Hopefully we can stop there for a photo op on the way home from the IM this Summer.
                      Plan to come home via Historical Route 66.
                      Thanks Gary
                      Good Roads
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Great looking car -- I love that "minty" color!
                        sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                        Regal Deluxe Trim
                        Automatic transmission
                        46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Great shot, I continue to look for old vintage service stations to serve as a back drop for calendar shoots. Picture perfect. . .
                          Curt Devan
                          Kirksville, MO

Editor, Mid Missouri Chapter Newsletter "Studie News"
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X