Beautiful Speedster on BaT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
    Some of Mikey's comments have truth to them however. Over the next 10-20 years we are going to see a "changing of the guard" over what we generally considered classic vehicles. What the value does will remain to be seen. Many of our cars will outlive us as they outlived previous owners. Original cars will become increasingly less practical and expensive to drive and more difficult to maintain. There are a couple generations already that have never been in a car without airbags or driven a car with a carburetor. I'm not trying to be a doomsday messenger, but I am a realist. My plan is to enjoy them as much as I can and to share and promote them to those who are interested.
    Nice, Pat

I don't think my generation (I'm 64) tried to enjoy the same things in the same way my father's generation did. I don't expect my kids and grand kids to do exactly the same as I did (and do)...at least I hope not

As Pat says...let's not worry that other folks and other generations may or may not enjoy Studebakers the same way we do (if at all). If they are fun for us, that's good enough.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

And to think I could have discovered that Packard Hawk in San Miguel. Always intended to drive through, snooping for old cars. Bet I woulda found it. Dang. Now the "town" of Bradley has a few interesting things sitting around...
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

The Speedster is up to $42,600 with 2 hr and 50 min to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...ht_5907wt_1165

Comment

Like I mentioned on another Thread recently, the days of a twenty-five thousand dollar ceiling for Studebaker's rarer models are long gone......like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
            Some of Mikey's comments have truth to them however. Over the next 10-20 years we are going to see a "changing of the guard" over what we generally considered classic vehicles. What the value does will remain to be seen. Many of our cars will outlive us as they outlived previous owners. Original cars will become increasingly less practical and expensive to drive and more difficult to maintain. There are a couple generations already that have never been in a car without airbags or driven a car with a carburetor. I'm not trying to be a doomsday messenger, but I am a realist. My plan is to enjoy them as much as I can and to share and promote them to those who are interested.
            I can agree with that. The thing I can't get off my mind is that there are less Studebakers out there every year. Sometimes it's for a good cause, such as becoming a parts car so that another car can get back on the road. Other times, it's that a car is deemed "undesirable" by today's standards, and it's crushed even though minimal work could bring it back. Like someone said, "even 4 doors are starting to sell". As more of the undesirables die a premature death, they might ironically become more desirable.

My mom is a fishing fanatic, and today we were talking about failed business ventures based out of South Bend Indiana. Interestingly enough, at the dawn of the 20th century, South Bend Lures began making all sorts of fishing lures. Their last days were fairly close to those of the South Bend plant, interestingly enough. My mom was telling me about one particular South Bend Lure that sold for tens of thousands of dollars at auction not too long ago. What made it so valuable was that they were seen as cheap and replacable when new, and so most all of them had been thrown out, long lost to time. Yet today, finding one is a prize to antique lure collectors.

I have high hopes that long after I'm gone, someone will see my cars and say "wow, I want that." But I can't control the future, so for now I know that I like them and because of that I'll keep working on 'em.
            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Working...
            X