No announcement yet.

Studebaker Oil Dipstick Recall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe, that's 5 quarts without filter. You add an additional quart for a PH11 filter and a bit less for a smaller filter (PH25?).

Comment

Per the Shop Manuals
      1955 = 6 qt oil pan capacity
      1956 = 5 qt oil pan capacity
      Since the engine capacities didn't change, is the oil pan different on a 55 ?
      Does this mean a different dipstick and tube for the 55 ?
      Since a lot of parts could have been swapped around over the years, is there any place to find the dimensions of the oil pans, dipsticks and tubes in order to check what's on the car ?
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Gotta love my wife, Carrie...
        When I quipped to her about this thread and said "Did you know there was a dipstick recall?"
        She didn't miss a lick and said "You're going aren't you?"
        Jeff
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Question related to oil pan capacity. My oil pan on my R-1 Avanti is one I purchased from Lionel Stone. Should one of his modified oil pans have any significant effect upon capacity and readings on the dip stick?
          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Per the Shop Manuals
            1955 = 6 qt oil pan capacity
            1956 = 5 qt oil pan capacity
            Since the engine capacities didn't change, is the oil pan different on a 55 ?
            Does this mean a different dipstick and tube for the 55 ?
            Since a lot of parts could have been swapped around over the years, is there any place to find the dimensions of the oil pans, dipsticks and tubes in order to check what's on the car ?

As far as I can remember, yes, they were different by quite a bit. The pans, at least for the '55 259's, were used on the partial flow 259 flow blocks. The sump is longer, and extends almost the length of the pan, there is a partition in the center of the sump on the pan, and the drain plug is larger and in the center of the bottom of the pan, rather than in the rear. The tube for the dipstick is a two piece affair, and uses a larger tube. The dipstick itself is also different, and reads for six quarts, rather than five quarts on the later pans. The pans however, will bolt up to the later engine blocks without any modification, so the earlier six quart pans were probably modified to become five quart pans.

(Oh and the photo is different from the original pans. They didn't have the turbo drain bungs drilled into the sides of them either )
            Last edited by PlainBrownR2; 05-16-2012, 02:39 PM.
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

So that's it then. There indeed WAS a problem with factory installed dipsticks in 1963, but it concerned transmission fluid dipsticks, not engine oil dipsticks. Thanks everyone... especially Mr. Q !!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                So that's it then. There indeed WAS a problem with factory installed dipsticks in 1963, but it concerned transmission fluid dipsticks, not engine oil dipsticks. Thanks everyone... especially Mr. Q !!!
                Glad to assist. Back in 1998 I did a Index to all of the Service Letters from 1946 thru 1968. Runs about 25 pages.
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
                X