Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 IMS Celebration of Automobiles: Studebakers and a few friends.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 IMS Celebration of Automobiles: Studebakers and a few friends.

Today (Saturday, May 12, 2012) was Opening Day of The Indianapolis Motor Speedway, in preparation for the 96th running of The Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.

As they've done the last couple years, they had an invitational Celebration of Automobiles Car Show on the grounds in conjunction with Opening Day activities.

Here are the three Studebakers shown (yes, only three, and don't get picky about the Packard Hawk), and a couple Friends of Interest from the 100 or so cars shown:

1931 President Roadster of Charles Morgan / Carmel IN:

1958 Packard Hawk of Ron Rheinhardt / Evansville IN. (Shadows on the LF fender; the paint is very nice):

1961 Lark Six DeLuxe of Don Plesner / Indianapolis IN:

....and a few friends:

Drop-dead gorgeous triple black 1962 Bonneville convertible with all power, tri-power, and factory 4-speed. 'Talked to the owner at length. 'Said it was such a rare combination and he liked it so much that he spent 8 years at $10K per year (do the math) to restore it from an Albany NY rust bucket. (His description as purchased; not mine!):

Is that Speed Minder set at about 105 MPH? Note the power vent window switch!

The only one of these officially entered in the show. (Eat you heart out, Bob Andrews):

Of course, Corvette is The Official Pace Car this year:

But there are seemingly hundreds of these Official Cars running around here, too:

Lots of these running around, too, taking advantage of Indiana's plentiful, relatively low-cost, coal-generated electric power! (Sorry; this just looked like an interesting contrast, with the early-70s Camaro on display in the background <GGG>):

Overall, a gorgeous day at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway; sunny, a nice breeze, with temps in the low 70s....and they still sell the Aussie's Fosters beer for a change of pace...big cans, though; 'had to split one with Cari! BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 05-12-2012, 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I'm jealous, thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures!
    sigpic
    1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

The 1961 Lark: Appropriate for any occasion!!

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
        The 1961 Lark: Appropriate for any occasion!!
        Yes, Quentin; it is good to see the little Lark among the million-dollar Duesenbergs and such. There really were probably a dozen "Duesys" in the show, and a dozen classic-era Packards, Cords, etc.

Remember, this is an invitational show. You must submit photos of your car and be accepted for entry.

It's a credit to the Celebration of Automobiles Committee that they accepted Don's Lark Six, as it is a very nice car. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Must be that "Performability" !

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Yes, Quentin; it is good to see the little Lark among the million-dollar Duesenbergs and such]
            That (or a very similar) Lark was at the event last year which was limited to 1911-61 cars. It was the lowest value car there among the 250 show cars, plus the Stutz and Marmon Clubs cars.
            When they let us out on the track, the Lark was immediatly behind the famed multi-million dollar Mormon Meteor Duesenberg record setting car.
            Talk about contrast! Made me laugh. Last year, there were 2-3 C/K coupes as well.
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Yes, John; Don's Lark was at the event last year, too. No C/Ks this year, save the Packard Hawk.

I'd say there were probably 2/3 of the cars as 2011. 'Not sure why the number of cars was lower, but the crowd attendance was about the same as last year when you were here.

'Still a wonderful show with lots to fill the eyeballs. BP

Comment

Yes , it was our Lark there last year. I had an official from the Motor Speedway come up to me and asked how I like the show this year . I replied that it was better for the participants this year due to the added owners lounge where you could get lunch on Friday ,Breakfast and Lunch on Saturday. He also commented that there was more applications than cars they wanted and that they relied on judges for selection of cars and they were adamant that certain cars were in the show. The theme this year was car makes that had raced or paced the 500

Comment

I forgot there was a 52 or 54 Champion from south bend there also. I didnt get around much on saturday due to recently having knee replaced so I didn't see his car or the packard hawk in my short travels. Got to see most on friday when all cars were in the flag lot at the track
                  Don

Comment

You know I love the 69 Camaro But that Bonnevlle... WOW! Great thing about it is, with what he spent, if her paid less than $35K for it, he's not upside down. Probably paid $10-15, so he could make a good buck on it if he wanted to.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Foster's is now an American/South African Beer as the business was purchased by SABMiller late last year.
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                        Foster's is now an American/South African Beer as the business was purchased by SABMiller late last year.
                        I wondered about that, John...but as you know, perception is everything! BP

Comment

Originally posted by 3dfury View Post
                          The theme this year was car makes that had raced or paced the 500.
                          AS was last year's...but last year it was for cars 1911-61, which is why your car was probably the newest car there last year. This year they allowed car 61 and up, in addition to the earlier models.

I briefly met you on the wet Sunday last year, your Lark was under a tent in back of the Museum. Glad you were able to make it a second year. Lucky guy.
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

to be selected again just blew us away . if you go to the IMS web site and get to the photo galleries for the Celebration of Automobiles on the second page of the pictures is a shot of cars going down the back stretch into turn three and what is the second car the Lark!

Comment

Bob, how do I get tickets for the Inday event. This race has been on my wish list for many years. Thank you. Harvey

Comment

Working...
                              X