Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zip Van questions

Hello everyone,
    new to the site! This post is seeking help in some questions about my recent purchase of a 1958 Studebaker Zip Van? From what I can tell, the guy is wrong about the year. I'll have title in a few days, but I think
    I've found proof that it's a 63, 64 or a 65,
    This is 100% original, rust free and is ready for restoration. I have about 95% of all parts, on the
    van. 6 cyl motor is there, orig wheels minus hub caps, all orig doors, glass, etc.

My questions are:
    What's this worth? It's right hand drive, neatest looking vehicle ever. Red white and blue paint is faded
    What is the bolt pattern? I haven't even pulled wheels off yet, but since it's been in storage for 30+ years, I'm sure I'll have to replace everything. The bolt pattern looks like half ton 5 lug Chevy. Are any of the suspension or brake parts compatible with another vehicle?

My orig intentions were to trick it out a little. I have a 1999 supercharged 3.8 ready to go in. I have an automatic trans, headers, and I planned on installing factory GM air conditioning. (I live in Phx)
    I have restored several vehicles, along with some customization. This is my first
    Studebaker project.

I'm having a hard time finding another Zip Van for sale anywhere. In fact, I haven't been able to find another one except in a postal museum. I don't want to ruin this one, by customizing it if it's going to really hurt any historical value.
    Please, any information is greatly apprecitated.
    Last edited by 1958 Zip Van; 05-10-2012, 01:31 AM.

Hi Don and welcome to the forum. Here is some information on the Zip vans, which were a special product to deliver the US Mail, hence the Right Hand Drive you Americans use in Post Office Vehicles (I'm in Australia).

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...uckHistory.asp
    Last edited by avantilover; 05-10-2012, 02:13 AM.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

As noted in the history excerpt above (thanks John!), all Zip Vans were considered to be 1964 models.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I have a nice Zip Van that has been offered up for sale here on this forum for $3000 (with no takers)
        If it will help your knowledge base, some pic's of it are at: http://rides.webshots.com/album/561374130vSddGL
        If you do modify it from stock, be sure to size your powerplant for a BIG air conditioner.
        I cannot imagine a hotter box in Arizona than an un air conditioned Zip Van....

Originally posted by 1958 Zip Van View Post
        <snip>
        My orig intentions were to trick it out a little. I have a 1999 supercharged 3.8 ready to go in. I have an automatic trans, headers, and I planned on installing factory GM air conditioning. (I live in Phx)
        I have restored several vehicles, along with some customization. This is my first
        Studebaker project.

I'm having a hard time finding another Zip Van for sale anywhere. In fact, I haven't been able to find another one except in a postal museum. I don't want to ruin this one, by customizing it if it's going to really hurt any historical value.
        Please, any information is greatly apprecitated.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I am in total agreement with Jeff (DEEPNHOCK) on the A/C. When I carried the mail in Shreveport (hot AND humid), we referred to the trucks of this size that we were driving as "pizza ovens on wheels". Tom

Comment

Studebaker International have windshield glass for the Zip Vans, NOS.
            sigpic
            55 President Deluxe
            64 Commander
            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
              As noted in the history excerpt above (thanks John!), all Zip Vans were considered to be 1964 models.
              I know that they were all assembled during the 1964 model year, but I thought that they were all considered to be, and titled as, 1963 models. I understood this to be because of the wording of the US Government contract (they were to be 1963s). My own Zip Van was a 1963 and others that I have known about were 1963s.

I just checked in Richard Langworth's book "Studebaker 1946-1966" and he refers to the Zip Vans as 1963s.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

More photos of Zip Vans posted here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=2003

And another one currently being restored: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=scotchlite

Craig
                Last edited by 8E45E; 05-10-2012, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  I know that they were all assembled during the 1964 model year, but I thought that they were all considered to be, and titled as, 1963 models. I understood this to be because of the wording of the US Government contract (they were to be 1963s). My own Zip Van was a 1963 and others that I have known about were 1963s.

I just checked in Richard Langworth's book "Studebaker 1946-1966" and he refers to the Zip Vans as 1963s.
                  Gary-
                  I will have to go back and check on where I got that datum. I seem to remember that it was a Fred Fox article, but my memory is notoriously unreliable these days. The contract with the PO was not awarded until late in 1963, pretty much around the time that production of the 1964 models started. And many of the Zip Vans were actually built in calendar year 1964, so they logically should have been 1964 models. That said, the Navy 4x4s were all built in calendar year 1960, but were titled as 1959 models, in part to conform with the government's RFP requirements (and also because Stude no longer offered a half-ton C-cab in 1960). And there were several other cases where the company built small numbers of the previous year's models for special orders, so there was plenty of precedent for titling the Zip Vans with the "wrong" year.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Check out the So.Ga. Chapter website: georgiastudebaker.com i bought this van around 1987, donated it to the So.Ga. Chapter who in turn restored the body and donated it to the SNM. in 1997.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

Someone please answer his question about the wheel bolt pattern and brake and suspension parts.
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

5 x 5 bolt pattern.
                        Dana 44 rear.
                        Champ or Ccab front axle.

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                        Someone please answer his question about the wheel bolt pattern and brake and suspension parts.
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Just to add to Jeff's answers: Zip Vans were model 8E5FC, which means that most of the underpinnings were shared with 8E5 Champs. There obviously were a number of unique items to accommodate the forward control steering, but most of the other suspension components were the same as the 8E5 Champs.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

So to translate for the original poster, (a new Studebaker guy) the brakes and suspension parts are common Studebaker truck parts. Readily available from many vendors listed on this site.
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

During the tour of South Bend, Studebaker International, last year we were shown , Zip van rear door tracks, and cables and other new items in stock. Call them for your needs.

husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

Working...
                              X