Meet pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet pictures.

For the first time since about 25 years ago I was selling my Studebaker parts that I no longer have any plans to use.
    This left me with very little time to look at the cars on display.
    Some club members take a few pictures of the cars and post them on the forum here.
    It would be nice if the host chapters could designate someone to take pictures or video of all cars on display and post them on the forum.
    The people displaying their cars have to pay.
    They and the rest of the club certainly would like to see their beautiful cars
    displayed here.
    Paul

During the Meet I had to be over at the Chippewa plant for most of the time, so I too would like to see some photos from the car show. Last year I had the weekend off and I personally went around and took photos of all the cars at the meet and gave the SD card to the chapter for the records. Obviously couldn't do that this year.

Lets see some photos from the meet.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Hi Paul-

I'm not sure how your idea will go over. I did a video of the '08 IM in Lancaster, on my own hook. I tried to get looks at all the cars, both before and during the Concours. I took footage of the Swap area both indoors and out, the auction, the Meet hotel grounds, and many of the people there. I spent a lot of my time doing so. Then I made a series of videos and put them on YouTube, then offered them here on the Forum for anyone to see, free of charge. I think the Keystone Chapter had them linked to their site at one time.

The problem was, they weren't very good quality. I used a tiny Flip camera I bought just for this purpose. The footage came out shaky and in general low quality. Some liked the effort but I got several e-mails criticizing them. I did what I could with what I had, but it seemed that overall they were a disappointment to the viewers. C'est la vie.<G>

So the point is, this sounds like a potential bag of vipers. I stopped doing it because it didn't prove out worth my effort. It seems there are two options: Have a novice try again, or hire a pro. Based on previous experience, either are subject to critics- too much this, too little of that, too long, too short, too much narration, etc; you get the picture. Imagine if it's a paid videographer, paid with SDC CASO money? Yikes.

I have always been a big fan of recording Meets for posterity. I will forever be saddened that I didn't take many pictures during my childhood in the car business and 24 year racing career. What video and photos do exist are cherished. I have a firebox filled with videotape of my family and especially my son growing up. I would be glad to try recording Meets again, but it starts with a better camera, which I'm not sure I'm willing to buy not knowing if I can produce anything acceptable. At this year's IM I'd love to see a video of the whole shebang- the grounds, the cars, the people, the city- and some laps around the Proving Grounds track. I'll probably have someone driving my Lark on the track, so I'll be riding shotgun and taking pictures and/or video.

Let's see if the idea gets any traction. I'm game to give it another shot if nobody else is.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Interesting. Before taking a job running a group home for youth a couple years ago, I spent over a decade as a professional video producer. I also dabbled in photography. I still have almost all my gear, which is top notch high def stuff. I'd be happy to do work like this for next to nothing, perhaps travel and lodging at the local discount hotel. It's not free, but its way cheaper than hiring someone from outside, and the final products would be pro grade stuff made by someone with expertise in filmmaking and video production. Just a thought.
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
          Interesting. Before taking a job running a group home for youth a couple years ago, I spent over a decade as a professional video producer. I also dabbled in photography. I still have almost all my gear, which is top notch high def stuff. I'd be happy to do work like this for next to nothing, perhaps travel and lodging at the local discount hotel. It's not free, but its way cheaper than hiring someone from outside, and the final products would be pro grade stuff made by someone with expertise in filmmaking and video production. Just a thought.
          Jim,
          figure out how much you would need to charge and let us know. If nothing else, maybe there would be several of us willing to throw some money your way.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Try this link. The pix were all taken by my 11 year old son. http://s1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii559/DadandDino/

Comment

Here's a link to the pictures I took......
              http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/l...end/?start=all

Comment

Milaca,

(long!) PM sent. Basically, IF I have the time (That's a big IF - I live in a group home and don't always have a couple days off in a row) figuring out how much I charge would be close to figuring out how much a trip from the Omaha area would cost to wherever the show was, and padding about $150 on top, to cover buying stuff like tapes and batteries and a very little bit for my time. I'm not looking to make anything from offering this. Really, I'd do it for free if I could afford to do so, but my chosen profession doesn't hand out million dollar expense accounts or golden parachutes, sadly.

The nice thing is that at least as far as photos are concerned, there are a lot of talented people (like the photos from the above posts - good stuff!!) who are happy to share theirs for free if someone asks. And I'd rather have a really bad cell phone video from a car show than nothing at all, so hopefully there are people out there who can oblige there as well
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Working...
                X