windshield scratch repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windshield scratch repair

Does anyone know of a glass dealer in or around Richmond/Norfolk, Va that still polishes windshields. Have called several, none now do it. Ken, Deltaville Va

Added 5-7: Thanks for input, called about 10 glass shops, none will grind out scratches. One nearby glass shop loaned me the equipment they bought to go into the business but soon found they could not compete with cheap overseas glass. one worker at a shop said he would do it, away from shop, but would not be responsible for results or breakage at $75 per hour for about 4-5 hours. Anyway, the powder from the shop cut much quicker than the Eastwood kit that I started with and I've been grinding on, and off, for two days. All cloudiness is gone but a few scratches from grinding are visible. They will be out in a few days. I wanted to keep the original windshield; it will fit, and it has a 1977 Va inspection sticker and 1977 county tax sticker. Thanks again, ken, deltaville va
    Last edited by ken-renda; 05-08-2012, 05:23 PM.

In the past I have bought the polishing kit from Eastwood Co. and did it myself. Results vary, I personally was not happy with the results. It is a very labor intensive process,in other words it takes a long time to do a scratch. Rule of thumb is, if the scratch can be felt with your finger nail, it will not polish out and if you polish too much it will distort the glass. The fact that it is a tedious process may be the reason glass companies stopped doing it.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Remember, if you get it very hot, it is tempered and will shatter. It is a slow and tedious process as Frank said and has limited and varying success rates.

I need my C-cab winshield done as well and I am having trouble also finding somewhere I am comfortable with. Mine is dust screatches from it sitting for 35 years in a barn and people rubbing the dust to look in thru the winshield.

Comment

As Frank mentions, the process is VERY labor intensive. Takes a LOOOONG time to take out a wiper mark for example. Even then, many marks are not going to come out.

One glass shop told me that replacing most windshields is cheaper than having a pro polish an old one...that's why they stopped doing it.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

How deep are the scratches? You may be able to get rid of them by using a random orbital that you would use to polish and wax a car. I've done that with a mildly abrasive car polish (Griot's Machine Polish #3) and it works pretty good. Even the scratches that are still visible are much less obvious than they were before. Griot's makes a dedicated glass polish now but I haven't tried it...their machine polish has worked quite well.

The downside is that no matter how you do it, you end up destroying more glass to make the "repair"...just taking off more surface down to the depth of the scratch.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
            Remember, if you get it very hot, it is tempered and will shatter. It is a slow and tedious process as Frank said and has limited and varying success rates.

I need my C-cab winshield done as well and I am having trouble also finding somewhere I am comfortable with. Mine is dust screatches from it sitting for 35 years in a barn and people rubbing the dust to look in thru the winshield.
            Windshields are never tempered.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
            X