X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    I think the point is .......He's trying to SELL his car!!! (hence the e-bay thing). He didn't offer it here nor would I. Out of somewhere about 14.000
    SDC members, less than 200 are active on the forum.......with all this nit picking, do you wonder why?
    At today's check, their are 7569 Forum members. There are more than 200 active and I believe that a large majority of SDC members that actively purchase Studebakers and Avantis at least monitor the Forum even if they are not active on it.

EDIT: I also believe that there is closer to 11K SDC memberships.

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    I've restored many Avantis, and never seen a plastic insert that the mirror screws into. I have seen rubber 'wellnuts' where the rubber expands as the screw is tightened. Exactly like what the rear license plate bracket and under the rear seat hold downs use. Is that what you mean?
    Sorry, rubber, not plastic inserts, but no need to remove the door panel to install.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    I've restored many Avantis, and never seen a plastic insert that the mirror screws into. I have seen rubber 'wellnuts' where the rubber expands as the screw is tightened. Exactly like what the rear license plate bracket and under the rear seat hold downs use. Is that what you mean?

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    I was in Linesville, PA just this past Saturday! It was a beautiful, sunny day and an old high school buddy of mine and I swung by the 'spillway' there, for old times' sake. I saw an MFG plant there but was never aware of one previously. MFG was headquartered in Ashtabula, OH, maybe 45 mins. (?) away. Were the bodies actually assembled at Linesville? That's a small, NW PA town, the type of which I've long appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by lschuc View Post
    Dick, I know you're a long way from Linesville, Pennsylvania, but it would be nice to show your Avanti at the Molded Fiberglass Co. 60th anniversary celebration and open house on July 14 which honors both the Avanti and Corvette. Body panels from both were made at MFG.
    I noticed from your post that your Avanti R-4141 was sent to MFG president Mr. Morrison. Maybe you should contact MFG to arrange having your car at the open house show.
    More on this event will be in the next issue of Avanti Magazine which will be mailed on May 21.

Lew
    Lew,
    I sold that Avanti. It actually went to a friend of mine in Redding, CA. I can put you in touch with him if you wish.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Caser
    replied
    Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    Nicely done, Tom.

You could have just as easily (and understandably) ignored our nit picks, but I think you made your listing even stronger by including them. Buyers want to know that the seller is being honest about the car and by going the extra mile to do that, you most likely cemented that fact with them. Thanks for taking the nit picks in the spirit in which they were intended.

BTW, nicely photographed and written listing.

Good luck with the sale.
    Thank you, Dick for this posting
    You have expressed my feelings as well in your response to Tom. This is a beautiful car than anyone would be proud to own

Bob Caser

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    Originally posted by JDP View Post
    What retainer nuts ?? The mirrors were installed into plastic inserts with stainless screws on every factory mirror installed Avanti I've owned.
    That's what I was referring to...I referred to them by incorrect nomenclature. My apologies.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Caser
    replied
    From my experience I have never seen a factory photo or build sheet that showed the mirror being installed. The Morrison build sheet clearly shows the opposite.
    The mirror was a option and not included with the standard features of the car. The only factory photo that I have ever seen showing a mirror is the dealer sell sheet offering the new grill and drip rails. In this photo the mirror is mounted on the fender. The mirror was listed in the accessory catalog as a dealer installed piece.

But wait, I have been playing with cars for a long time and welcome when something new and different is discovered and brought to light ( Morrison Build Sheet )
    In collecting other types of cars I have learned that just when everything was known and conclusive someone uncovers a new fact or detail. Thats what makes the hobby interesting.

Bob Caser

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Not all states required outside rear view mirrors back then. Even if ordered it was often dealer installed regardless of make...maybe due to possibility of damage during shipping?

I've read that the factory recommendation for mirror installation was on the front quarter panel in 1963 and the recommendation was changed to the door for '64 models. That could be due to the mirror being in the way of underhood servicing or lack of desire of taking off the interior upholstered panel for the retainer nuts is anyone's guess. Regardless, it was up to the dealer and maybe purchaser's desires where the mirror ended up being mounted.
    What retainer nuts ?? The mirrors were installed into plastic inserts with stainless screws on every factory mirror installed Avanti I've owned.

Leave a comment:

• lschuc
    replied
    Dick, I know you're a long way from Linesville, Pennsylvania, but it would be nice to show your Avanti at the Molded Fiberglass Co. 60th anniversary celebration and open house on July 14 which honors both the Avanti and Corvette. Body panels from both were made at MFG.
    I noticed from your post that your Avanti R-4141 was sent to MFG president Mr. Morrison. Maybe you should contact MFG to arrange having your car at the open house show.
    More on this event will be in the next issue of Avanti Magazine which will be mailed on May 21.

Lew

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    Mine shows on the production order (AC3310)...

...and is installed on the driver's door...

No "X" in front of the AC # which generally meant packed in trunk for dealer installation (note the "X" in front of AC3286-Seatbelts)

Since the mirror appears to be an option on the PO, perhaps some were ordered without?

Leave a comment:

• Son O Lark
    replied
    Originally posted by mbstude View Post
    After hanging out with Jim McCuan and his 10K mile R2 Avanti (which truly was an immaculate, all original car in Turquoise), I unfairly judge all other Avantis against his. His car made me a fan of Avantis, which I guess is the reason why I like this one. I like the turquoise color more than any other color.
    I agree, turquoise is the most beautiful color for an Avanti. Looks great on some of those GM boats of the sixties too.

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    Not all states required outside rear view mirrors back then. Even if ordered it was often dealer installed regardless of make...maybe due to possibility of damage during shipping?

I've read that the factory recommendation for mirror installation was on the front quarter panel in 1963 and the recommendation was changed to the door for '64 models. That could be due to the mirror being in the way of underhood servicing or lack of desire of taking off the interior upholstered panel for the retainer nuts is anyone's guess. Regardless, it was up to the dealer and maybe purchaser's desires where the mirror ended up being mounted.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
    I believe all mirrors were installed by the dealers for Avanti's .

Bob Caser
    Mine shows on the production order (AC3310)...

...and is installed on the driver's door...

No "X" in front of the AC # which generally meant packed in trunk for dealer installation (note the "X" in front of AC3286-Seatbelts)

Since the mirror appears to be an option on the PO, perhaps some were ordered without?
    Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 05-08-2012, 07:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by R3studee View Post
    Hello guys, thank you for all the honest input. I have revised my ebay ad in response to your comments....
    Nicely done, Tom.

You could have just as easily (and understandably) ignored our nit picks, but I think you made your listing even stronger by including them. Buyers want to know that the seller is being honest about the car and by going the extra mile to do that, you most likely cemented that fact with them. Thanks for taking the nit picks in the spirit in which they were intended.

BTW, nicely photographed and written listing.

Good luck with the sale.

Leave a comment:

• R3studee
    replied
    Thanks for the honest opinions

Hello guys, thank you for all the honest input. I have revised my ebay ad in response to your comments.

Most of its been very complimentary and some of its been constructive criticism, but I think all of it is warranted opinion and I don't think anyone was trying to be difficult. I will admit, using the term "survivor" will automatically warrant the evaluation of any car, almost like a judging at a show.

This car falls somewhere in between, which makes for a difficult description. It is not quite a survivor, but its certainly the next step down. I'll call it a semi-survivor. It is also (as some pointed out) not "99% original" and Ill have to agree (my fault) so Ill call it "mostly original" if that works. I had a similar scenario years ago when I used the term "Superlark" for a non package factory R2 lark, although I clearly stated it was a NON PACKAGE car. I guess I need to be more careful in my use of adjectives. For the record, I have tried to correct my ebay ad, but the only thing they allow me to do is add to the already permanent description, which I have done.

I want to thank Bob Caser for pointing out the Firestone tire is from 1966, not 1963. The original owner of 49 years told me it was the original and I took it for gospel. Value is the same, but accuracy for the Avanti is wrong.....Good catch and again I have revised my ebay ad to reflect that error.

Any other deviations from "original equipment " were detailed in my initial description of the car as I want to be as accurate and honest as possible. The last thing I want is to misrepresent anything to anyone. That being said, if I missed something else please let me know.

Aside from my initially overzealous interpretation of the car, it is truly a special Avanti. While not exactly comparable to Jim McCuan's amazing survivor, it is certainly in its shadow and my reserve is roughly half of what his sold for within the last year. I will put my name on the fact that it is a true 44,000 mile car and there are not a whole lot of Avantis left that are in the same condition. Regardless of the final selling price, I have the reserve set at a fair value.

As far as the the "private listing" goes, I have only sold one (1) car in the last 2 years and that is an oversight from a past listing when my account was hacked into. I did'nt even notice it until you guys pointed it out. Again, I tried to change it but Ebay will not allow it.

Bezhawk, thank you too for your interpretation of who I geared the ad for as well. You are 100% correct that the ad was infact written for the average ebay guy and never solicited to the forum. I have found that many, many Avantis sell to someone who knows very little about studebakers or at least not part of the forum. Was McCuans car sold to a forum member? How about Nimesh's R3 clone Avanti that brought nearly twice as much as Jims car? Was the last FACTORY R3 avanti that brought almost $100,000 sold to someone on the forum? The list goes on. It seems to me that the real high dollar studees rarely sell to anyone on this forum, regardless if thats good or bad.

In closing, I want to thank all of you for your comments. Even the less than complimentary ones were well within the acceptable protocol for healthy stude conversation. 10 buyers will each have a different perception of a vehicles condition and value, all I can do is describe it to the best of my ability.

That being said......
    AS ALWAYS, any car I have for sale is always open to a thorough inspection of the vehicle by the interested party.
    In fact, I welcome it. That way, there is no room for unsatisfied buyers, only friends.

Tom

P.S. Thank you Allen and all the rest of my friends for having my back ......you guys are the best.
    And in case anyone is wondering, I normally use TOMMO as my username but cant remember the darn password.
    Last edited by R3studee; 05-08-2012, 12:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X