No announcement yet.

Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This eBay listing has one of those "private listings...bidders identities protected".

Bids on the Avanti

I have never come up with a valid reason why sellers would do this. Bidders identities are already protected without doing a private listing.

Does anyone know why a seller would do a "private listing"?
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think the point is .......He's trying to SELL his car!!! (hence the e-bay thing). He didn't offer it here nor would I. Out of somewhere about 14.000
      SDC members, less than 200 are active on the forum.......with all this nit picking, do you wonder why?
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
        Yes he owns one of the nine. He is also a SDC member and forum lurker. I spoke with him last night by phone on a unrelated matter. So let's just "rip" his car apart and nit pick some more. Who really care if the spare tire is not from '63 but oh it's actually from '66. IMHO it's neat he has a Firestone tire with the flags on it in the trunk! The car is what it is and the market will decide whether it likes it or not with the reserve he has set.

Allen
        Maybe an apology is in order for nit picking his car. When you make a statement regarding equipment and it's rarity be prepared to be criticized if you are not correct. I wanted to point out a fact regarding his spare tire, and his statement. If a false statement is accepted then possibly down the road when it becomes time for documentation by others ,the falsehood becomes the truth. This happens to often in the car hobby.

As stated by others a paint job , engine rebuild, etc removes you from the "Survivor" claim.

Bob Caser

Bob Caser
        mrbobinc

Comment

Like I said in post#2 ......it's the Studebaker Avanti We'd all like to own!

Comment

Is it nit-picking or member helping member?

IIRC there is at least one forum member in quest of a nice Avanti. This Avanti was posted to the forum as a Nice vehicle. Several members noticed that there were deviations from the posting and pointed them out to the membership.

I don't see any post that did anything other the note the deviations. So what has happened here? WELL!!! in my view the forum members that noted the deviations may well have saved a buyer the frustration of purchasing a vehicle that differs from the post and possibly saved the seller the embarrassment and financial loss of refunding an unhappy buyer the purchase price and receiving a negative on Ebay.

If that is nit-picking than I commend the observant posters of doing a very member friendly job. I sell on Ebay regularly and I'd be pleased if I made errors in my posts and they were caught in time for me to correct the listing. JMHO

Bob
            Last edited by sweetolbob; 05-07-2012, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Right on, s-o-Bob!!!

as i get ready to enter the market for my next stude soon (pending no more doctor bills), i've wondered about placing my next potential stude's ad here, and would want it nitpicked to death!

the problem with that is i would be worried that someone that was unaware of the car, before my post, would outbid me!!!
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Well....no, said Avanti was certainly NOT posted to this forum. It WAS posted on Ebay. A forum member posted a link to the Ebay ad. I happen to think there is a difference. I am sure the owner is aware of any flaws, but again he is trying to sell it to the average Joe that watches Ebay, not to a forum member.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                  This eBay listing has one of those "private listings...bidders identities protected".

Bids on the Avanti

I have never come up with a valid reason why sellers would do this. Bidders identities are already protected without doing a private listing.

Does anyone know why a seller would do a "private listing"?
                  Once upon a time, I had to use private listing since a few folks did not like me reselling Studebakers and would e-mail my bidders and say I was a crook for example. Now that bidders ebay names are hidden, you are no longer able to interfere with a auction and I have no idea why you'd need a private listing.
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

After hanging out with Jim McCuan and his 10K mile R2 Avanti (which truly was an immaculate, all original car in Turquoise), I unfairly judge all other Avantis against his. His car made me a fan of Avantis, which I guess is the reason why I like this one. I like the turquoise color more than any other color.
                    Last edited by mbstude; 05-07-2012, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                      Once upon a time, I had to use private listing since a few folks did not like me reselling Studebakers and would e-mail my bidders and say I was a crook for example. Now that bidders ebay names are hidden, you are no longer able to interfere with a auction and I have no idea why you'd need a private listing.
                      Yes...it had a purpose when bidders ID's were fully displayed. That is no longer the case.
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'd have to say that I'd swap my Avanti (that I have well over $25k invested in including new paint, tires, bright package, electronic ignition, interior work, a gazillion other parts and soon to be rebuilt S/C (it's at Myer's right now) plus kick in another $5-8K for this baby.
                        edp/NC
                        \'63 Avanti
                        \'66 Commander

Comment

Every time Tom sells a car on EBAY the forum has this same exact discussion. Why do you think that is?

Comment

I thought the purpose of a forum is to assist each other with knowledge, tips to solve a problem and keeping these cars running. If you advertise something for the public to see you are open for comments either positive or negative. I do not think our comments will effect the sale of this beautiful car. I have a turquoise car as well that I stopped restoring in 1995, it has been sitting since then in a variety of storage. I have promised myself to finish it next year for my 50th anniversary of ownership of this car. Since I made comments about the Ebay car it is only fair that I post pictures of my project for comments from the forum. By the way one of the photos shows one of those rare Firestone 500 tires. I enjoy this forum and want to learn along with others how to improve /

Bob Caser
                            mrbobinc

Comment

Were some Avanti's factory equipped with the outside rear view mirror on the fender like this one?

If not, might it have been built without an outside mirror and the first owner installed it there?
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I believe all mirrors were installed by the dealers for Avanti's .

Bob Caser
                                mrbobinc

Comment

Working...
                                X