Borrani Value ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borrani Value ?

I am considering an Avanti II that comes with Borrani wire wheels that I do not want. There are five wire wheels and the accessory items, such as the special wrench. The wheels are in good/average condition. I am wondering what they may be worth so that I could figure that into my offer on the Avanti.
    The wheels were original equipment on this Avanti II. I noticed someone considering wire wheels for a Hawk and it made me think of these.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Borrani wire wheels are beautiful when they're new and perfect. But when they age and start to get rusty (and possibly have balance problems due to curb damage) who would want them?

Comment

I sold a set needing restoration last year for $1,100 dollars. (Five wheels , adapters and knock-offs) . Is the car you are considering on the west coast if so I would be interested in the wheels. If you are interested in selling them, you can PM me.

Bob Caser
      mrbobinc

Comment

I'll step in since I am in the business of making spokes, nipples and rims for wire wheels, as well as servicing them. While the majority of our work involves motorcycles, we do a lot of car wheels as well.

These were well made wheels, (unlike some that were available in that era, Tru-spokes in particular) but they had some weaknesses.

The biggest problem was that having fine tooth splines between the hub and the adaptor, these are prone to wear. If the splines were greased, usually not a big problem but a lot of poeple that bought these were the sort who paid lavashly to have their cars detailed and didn't want to see grease weeping from the spoke holes in the hubs. Mechanic washes off all the grease in the splines and one problem solved only to have the splines rust up and wear out. Sometimes the wheel doesn't even come off after a while!

At this point in time it is possible that spokes could be breaking but not likely, these had fairly heavy spokes up at the bend at the hub. Avantis aren't that heavy, Benzs are.

Many confuse balance and trueness of the rim. This is a weak point if the driver parks by braile. If the wheels haven't been hitting the bumpstops and curbs, these wheels don't tend to bend and therfore they tend to stay true. The best way is to spin each wheel, a pain when they are on the car and it's not on a lift. A lot of tyre shops have trouble balancing these wheels. And they do require innertubes.

If the chrome on the rims and hubs is still good, the spokes and nipples can be replaced with stainless but it does add up, fast.

That wheel was used on several different cars, the difference was that the adaptors varied for offset.

In nice shape, they might be worth $750.00-1,000.00

Good luck,

Kennie Buchanan,
        Buchanan's Spoke and Rim
        www.buchananspokes.com

Comment

Hey Kennie -great to have someone with your epertise here on the forum! I have a few spoked wheel vehichles that will be needing spoke work in the future(I live in Hawaii so corrosion is a real problem). I have been trying to decide wether ot not to tackle the job myself since no one offers spoke service locally and shipping hubs off island is costly. I just checked out your site and will definitely keep your products and services in mind in the future

Comment

Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net View Post
            Hey Kennie -great to have someone with your epertise here on the forum! I have a few spoked wheel vehichles that will be needing spoke work in the future (I live in Hawaii so corrosion is a real problem). I have been trying to decide wether ot not to tackle the job myself since no one offers spoke service locally and shipping hubs off island is costly. I just checked out your site and will definitely keep your products and services in mind in the future
            Ah, so Hawaii isn't the paradise we have all been led to believe it is!
            Chip
            '63 Cruiser
            '57 Packard wagon
            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

If the wheels come with a silver Avanti currently on Ebay, those wheels are not in good to average condition. About 6 weeks ago, I bought a set(5) of Dayton wire wheels for $450 and had them shipped to Dayton for reconditioning. The wheels looked good in the pictures, but the pix didn't disclose a bent rim and another rim that would cost more to fix than replace. Dayton reconditioning does offer a very significant price break on new wheel replacements, using stainless steel wires. I ended up keeping just one of the old wheels for a spare and getting 4 new wheels at a much better cost than listed in their catalog.
              If the wheels are on the brown 76, they probably are in better shape than the silver 76. I also have a 76 with serial number 67 later than the brown 76. According to the brown car's build sheet, its order was placed 9/10/75 and shipped 12/14/76. My car was ordered 4/09/76 and shipped 10/01/76. I wonder if the Brown 76 was being paid for and built on the "installment" plan. The brown car had more equipment than mine, but there were also some visible differences under the hood such as the air cleaner not being fitted with the cold air intake system, a different location for the overflow bottle on inner fender instead of the right side of the radiator up front, and the coil being mounted on the fender well behind the carbon canister, not on the firewall like mine is.
              Last edited by plwindish; 05-06-2012, 10:02 AM. Reason: Additional info
              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                I sold a set needing restoration last year for $1,100 dollars. (Five wheels , adapters and knock-offs) . Is the car you are considering on the west coast if so I would be interested in the wheels. If you are interested in selling them, you can PM me.

Bob Caser
                The wheels and I are in the Northeast.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                  If the wheels are on the brown 76, they probably are in better shape than the silver 76. I also have a 76 with serial number 67 later than the brown 76. According to the brown car's build sheet, its order was placed 9/10/75 and shipped 12/14/76. My car was ordered 4/09/76 and shipped 10/01/76. I wonder if the Brown 76 was being paid for and built on the "installment" plan. .
                  I noticed those dates also. I figured that it was an early car kept at the factory and/or driven by Neuman/Altman and then retailed for the first time at the end of the model year. That brown 1976 was the first Avanti built for 1976. That probably also supports my hypothesis.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    The wheels and I are in the Northeast.
                    Thanks for your response, they reason I asked, there is a car for sale on the west coast with Borranis and I thought that might have been the one you bought.They are beautiful wheels.

Bob Caser
                    mrbobinc

Comment

I LIKE wires!

This is my avatar over at the MG forum...and the wheels on my B roadster...

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                        I LIKE wires!

This is my avatar over at the MG forum...and the wheels on my B roadster...

UH....

That looks like a spinner?

And, while it may not be gold, it certainly looks like it could be gold.

I like it! You have better taste than I thought, after all!!

sigpic
                        Dave Lester

Comment

Tom Elliott had an '82 Avanti that he bought in 1994, and sold in 2011. He had Dayton make him a set of knock-offs to his specs. They never did grow on me.

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                          UH....

Last edited by mbstude; 05-06-2012, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Tom Elliott had an '82 Avanti that he bought in 1994, and sold in 2011. He had Dayton make him a set of knock-offs to his specs.
                            FWIW, not exactly a new idea. My '65 Avanti had Dayton knockoffs added by the original owner back in the late '60s. They were rusty by the time I bought the car, so I had them sandblasted and painted them a dull metallic gold to match the car. Not bad, but heavier than the hubs of hell, with the knockoff adapter and the tubes in the tires.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                              UH....

Don't get your hopes up.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X