Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warrlaw1
    replied
    Good stuff, Craig. Canada did have a martime car operation for a while, Bricklin. Sort of a humble deLorean

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
    It was Clairtone. They started in Ontario but ended up producing the product in Nova Scotia with provincial government fionancial support, but got too big, too fast, and also were dabbling with Canadian Motor Industries and the whole thing finally ended. Peter Munk invested in a tourism project with his then partners in the South Pacific but finally ended up in gold.
    Stu Chapman
    I posted more here, including a scan of the chapter on Studebaker from Peter Munk's autobiography by Richard Rohmer.
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=merger

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Stu Chapman
    replied
    Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
    You inspried me with this thread Stu. I got to wondering what a gold-plated Golden Hawk might look like. A sort of harkening back to the gold-plated chassis Stude toured around the country in the teens of the 20th century.
    Wouldn't that be a show piece! Maybe one day I should try and contact Mr. Munk to see if he would like to support the Studebaker National Museum Endowment program. We need $3 million and that's just a little over 3 hours net earnings.
    Stu Chapman

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    You inspried me with this thread Stu. I got to wondering what a gold-plated Golden Hawk might look like. A sort of harkening back to the gold-plated chassis Stude toured around the country in the teens of the 20th century.

Leave a comment:

• Stu Chapman
    replied
    Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
    Hi Stu. Good to see you at Badenoch. I remember the stereo system, but can't recall the name. Clairtone?
    It was Clairtone. They started in Ontario but ended up producing the product in Nova Scotia with provincial government fionancial support, but got too big, too fast, and also were dabbling with Canadian Motor Industries and the whole thing finally ended. Peter Munk invested in a tourism project with his then partners in the South Pacific but finally ended up in gold.
    Stu Chapman

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    "clarion"

I usta have a Clarion cheers jimmijim
    Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
    Hi Stu. Good to see you at Badenoch. I remember the stereo system, but can't recall the name. Clairtone?

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    Its good to see the family business doing well !

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stu Chapman
    started a topic Just thought you'd like to know...

Just thought you'd like to know...

Barrick Gold, the world's largest gold company, announced its 1st quarter net earnings yesterday. They were $1.03 billion! That's over $11 million a day. So what does that have to do with Studebaker?

The Chairman and Founder of Barrick Gold is Peter Munk of Toronto, Ontario. Back in 1965, Mr. Munk was the key player in the Canadian consortium that almost saved Studebaker. In those days, Peter Munk ran an electonics company, producing some of the finest high fidelity stereo package products available. He also was involved with Canadian Motor Industries, the original distributor of Toyota in Canada. You can read all about it in my book, "My Father The Car", pages 27, 28, 29, 30, 73, 77 and 78.

Can you just imagine with that all that expertise what Peter Munk could have done with Studebaker had the deal gone through? Oh well, that was then. This is now. We've all gone on with our lives. But then just maybe the world would have preferred gold to a Studebaker. Food for thought.

Stu Chapman
Working...
X