Studebaker Avanti Pace Car at Sebring 1963

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Avanti Pace Car at Sebring 1963

Here is a nice picture I have never seen of the Avanti at Sebring in 1963.
    Attached Files

Nice photo, but those twin racing stripes really do nothing for the looks of that Avanti!

Comment

I seem to remember reading that Studebaker built other pace cars for other events besides Indy for 1962-63. I know one was an Avanti and I think the other might have been a Wagonaire. (Ever seen a station wagon pace car?) I'd have to look up the photo to see what event the cars were at, but I think it might have been the 24 hours of Sebring.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Oh , Duh , Chris , it IS stated that this photo IS for Sebring .

Don't worry too much about it though , 'cause we ALL stuff

Things up occasionally . What I would like to know 'cause I

can't see it properly , is what colour are those stripes . Once

I got a very old , circa 1965 AMT 1/32 slot car bodied Avanti

and the two stripes put on it by the builder were dark green .

CRUISER

Comment

That is cool. I did not know that an Avanti was used as a Sebring Pace Car. Thanks for the pic.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I like the big circle "S" on the side roof section. I wouldn't put those stripes on my Avanti either but they do give it that 1960's race car look!

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser View Post
              Oh , Duh , Chris , it IS stated that this photo IS for Sebring .

Don't worry too much about it though , 'cause we ALL stuff

Things up occasionally . What I would like to know 'cause I

can't see it properly , is what colour are those stripes . Once

I got a very old , circa 1965 AMT 1/32 slot car bodied Avanti

and the two stripes put on it by the builder were dark green .

CRUISER
              I know about this photo, but the reason I said that is because I know of another photo that shows the same or a similar car in it. The photo I'm thinking of also shows the "other" pace car.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Here's a different car (or the same car repainted) in similar striping and some other Studes ready for Speed Week in the Bahamas...
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I agree, stripes on an Avanti are questionable....
                  But a white car with blue stripes is very 60s...(the US racing colors) give a real 60's look.
                  Perhaps a narrow-wide-narrow stripe offset to the driver's side would look better.
                  For driving my Avanti I wanted a 60's-style racing jacket, so i got a Gulf racing jacket witgh orange-blue racing stripes on the right side and added an Avanti patch.
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                    Here's a different car (or the same car repainted) in similar striping and some other Studes ready for Speed Week in the Bahamas...
                    ]
                    I came within minutes of buying one of the Shelby Cobras that was raced at the Bahama Speed Weeks.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                      For driving my Avanti I wanted a 60's-style racing jacket, so i got a Gulf racing jacket witgh orange-blue racing stripes on the right side and added an Avanti patch.
                      I have a pair of 1960s racing jackets from Watkins Glen. I never thought to modify them into Studebaker or Avanti items.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        I came within minutes of buying one of the Shelby Cobras that was raced at the Bahama Speed Weeks.
                        If it was after1963 the racing season it would have cost you several thousand dollars. Today's "value" up to maybe two million dollars. I have similar stories , but have been fortunate to own a few Cobras in the past.

Bob Caser
                        mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                          If it was after1963 the racing season it would have cost you several thousand dollars. Today's "value" up to maybe two million dollars. I have similar stories , but have been fortunate to own a few Cobras in the past.

Bob Caser
                          It was in the last 12 to 15 years. The price was above "several thousand dollars", but closer to that than to "two million dollars". The Cobra had never been registered for street use and had been in the same barn for decades.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

THAT is the photo I was thinking of. (Where did I get sebring???) Thanks
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

I like the Wagonaire. Daytona, but with small hubcaps, and check the body colored wheels on both cars.

Food for thought for mine. I've done something similar with my B GT...

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X