Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the archives #103 (Plant 8 parts warehouse South Bend)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It 'looks' like the employee cars that are GM, etc., are segregated to the RHS of thet parking lot...
    Was that a common practice at Studebaker?
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
      It 'looks' like the employee cars that are GM, etc., are segregated to the RHS of that parking lot...
      'Never heard of anything like that, Jeff, although that's not to say the practice didn't exist, formally or otherwise.

When cousin George and I walked the employee lots and environs nosing around circa 1960-1963, we didn't notice any particular segregation by brand loyalty.

Perhaps someone more knowledgable will post.

They've long since taken it down, but this reminds me of a large sign formerly on a pole in the Parking Lot of the UAW Union Hall on the west side of South Tibbs Street in Indianapolis, right across from one of the Detroit Diesel Allison plants when they were a Division of Generous Motors:

IF IT WASN'T
      MADE IN THE USA,
      PARK IT IN
      TOKYO!

Amusing, I thought. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The veiw of Plant 8 is of the north end of the bldg, looking to the south east. There was an addition to the front of the Plant 8 bldg. that was added later. The part of Plant 8 that you see in the photo was razed a few years ago, but there was an addition down the length of the west side that still stands and can be see just to the north of the Chippewa Plant. It is visable from the show room door of S.I. The building just to the east and running parallel to Plant 8. is the Sibley Foundry. It was torn down last year. The tall tin sided bldg. to the south is part of the Edwards Iron Works, a business with a long history with Studebaker. Edwards (2901 S Main St.) was bought out by COPCO steel of (I think) Detriot Mi. sometime in the '60's. When they quit semi trailer production here, the place sat unused for a few years untill it was cleaned out and either leased or sold. The last occupant was Centennial Steel. The most recent owner caught the front bldg.(brick) on fire while doing some work inside. It sits waiting demolition.
        Last edited by R2Andrea; 06-28-2012, 09:09 PM.
        R2Andrea

Comment

Thanks Andy, that clears it up. I didn't remember exactly where Sibleys foundry was.
          Sibleys on Sample St. was a machine shop, tool and die now that I think about it. I haven't seen much activity in there in a LONG time. The Centennial Steel building is a disaster, I mean it made Studebaker's foundry look good before it was demoed. The only part of Plant 8 still standing, like Andy said, is the rear area that was a dock and extra space. I can see it every time I walk out of work, makes the sight a little less painful to look at I guess...
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

The large structure off to the east of the Sibley Foundry is the James Monroe Elementary School. It sits on the corner of Donmoyer Ave. and Fellows St., three blocks south of Eckman St. and approx. 4 blocks east of Plant 8. The water tower was in the block south of the rear of the Monroe shcool property. There is also a large concrete water storage reservoir located next to the tower. Both are part of one of the South Bend Water Works well fields.
            The Sibley Machine and Foundry Corp. had their machine shop and general offices located at 206 - 224 East Tutt St. the facilities there are bordered on the south by Sample St. The address of the foundry itself was 220 W Eckman.
            Last edited by R2Andrea; 06-28-2012, 09:07 PM.
            R2Andrea

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              It 'looks' like the employee cars that are GM, etc., are segregated to the RHS of thet parking lot...
              I don't know about Studebaker, but I do know that Chrysler and, I think, GM and Ford did this. I had a friend that had a good job at Chrysler. He always had some Chrysler Corp. beater to drive to work so that he could park close.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                I don't know about Studebaker, but I do know that Chrysler and, I think, GM and Ford did this. I had a friend that had a good job at Chrysler. He always had some Chrysler Corp. beater to drive to work so that he could park close.
                I've heard stories from old workers at Studebaker that if an employee bought a car other than a Studebaker, the rest of the workers would go on a temporary strike and shut down the line until the problem was resolved. I can't imagine that would go over well today.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

'Sold a late-model Dodge Dakota pickup from inventory maybe 15 years ago, to a contractor who had landed a big job at the new Chrylser Corporation Transmission Plant up the road in Kokomo IN. He had a fleet of Chevys, but was told he'd better show up in a Dodge truck for that job. He said it was pretty much going to simply be left at the site as a decoy. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

About 25 years ago I was in the Buffalo NY area and drove by a UAW Hall and a big sign stated:
                    Don't even think of parking a foreign car here.

Comment

The remaining portion of Plant 8 appears to be where AMG had their small parts painting operation, some fixture welding and fab operations, and the Bonderite (paint preparation / washer) for the DJ5/Scrambler production during the early 80's. If my memory serves, there was also a wash/paint booth for prime and first coat of dump and cargo bodies for the larger AMG military trucks.

Dennis

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                      Thanks Andy, that clears it up. I didn't remember exactly where Sibleys foundry was.
                      Sibleys on Sample St. was a machine shop, tool and die now that I think about it. I haven't seen much activity in there in a LONG time. The Centennial Steel building is a disaster, I mean it made Studebaker's foundry look good before it was demoed. The only part of Plant 8 still standing, like Andy said, is the rear area that was a dock and extra space. I can see it every time I walk out of work, makes the sight a little less painful to look at I guess...
                      Last edited by Dennis L. Henry; 07-12-2012, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X