Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preping Early For Road Trip and Found...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preping Early For Road Trip and Found...

I am beginning to prep for the trip to Rutland here's some thoughts:
    • I found a large chunk of hood insulation in the air cleaner (caught by filter but there).
    • Remember to greese the U Joints
    • Remember the oil hole UNDER the distributor and the oil tubes on the distributor and generator.
    • Air in the spare
    There are a million things to check and I'm no expert just passing some thoughts on stuff I forget. Oh yeah make a checklist.

Fire extinguisher in the trunk.
    Extra oil
    Water
    Check the condition of the fan belt.

Comment

Good safe Jack and maybe a couple of spare tires or a can of fix-a-flat, extra alternator or generator, maybe even a water pump, points, condenser.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

With the exception of a spare starter, everything you need to get around the "I don't wanna be crying on the counter at some local auto parts place" baloney, will fit in a good-sized shoebox. And that includes the tools to replace the spares if needed.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Is that a box for Shaquille O'neill's shoes Bob?
          I agree though, some of you folks are a bit anal about what to take...a couple of spare tires? There are tires stores out on the hiway, the one spare in the car is enough.
          Bailing wire, duct tape, 7/16-1/2-9/16" wrenches, straight n phillips screw driver, and a 0.025" feeler gauge blade. Maybe, I mean maybe, a set of points and condenser, and that is only if you have not replaced them recently.
          Everything else just needs to be checked before you leave and maintained well. Some oil and water is always a good idea, but the best thing I carry is a AAA card just in case of a worst case scenario.

Comment

Well Kell, you know what a Stude fuel pump and water pump (without the manifold, of course) look like. There's those two items (although NAPA still carries fuel pump # M2211 for V8s) two or three fan belts (which if you know of the Gates or NAPA numbers you could fogo) (they still can get relevant carb kits too - but if you find yourself needing one mid-trip, it's your fault), points, condensor, rotor and cap (again, these SHOULD be at a local store if you're forearmed with relevant numbers) as well as few wrenches and a 3/8s" socket set. That'll fit in all but the smallest shoe boxes. You COULD include formed radiator hoses, but the universal sorts can do in a pinch. This parts kit could come in under a hundred bucks - tools not included.

NOW........ If you're worried about not being able to get new rods or a cam gear, you need to get a Camry to tour in. Put some S emblems on it and drive with pride. I can't REMEMBER when I've had to put a fresh starter on Pete, but if it broke on a long-distance trip, I'd groan that I hadn't brought one along. But that's maybe just me.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Is a round trip, Lompoc Ca to Modesto Ca a road trip? 540 miles total. I do it about once a month to visit the kids.
              Went up 101 on Friday.
              Traffic stopped on HWY 5 south on Sunday I had to head over toward Coalinga to get around it.
              55 President State Sedan. Dual master cylinder, radial tires, Pertronics ignition[same one Bob installed in 2001 or 2002] alternator, still 6 volt, Edelbrock carb.
              I agree with kmac530, well maintained is the key. AAA card, cell phone, credit card.
              It's starting to get warm up there so it's time to swap in the seven blade fan [in place of the stock 4 blade fan]
              Don't forget the oil hole at the starter.
              A small tool box and Yeah about a shoebox of spares.
              Best thing to do if you want a safe, dependable car is to DRIVE IT. Repair and maintain it like any good car.
              If you don't drive em they forget and start thinking that they are doilies or a tea set or something.
              With the lubricants and the roads available today as compared to what was available when the cars were new, a drive today is a walk in the park for any Studebaker.
              DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE
              Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 05-01-2012, 12:03 PM. Reason: add carb
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Because I'm 6V too, I carry one of those booster packs that will power my 6V battery charger. Thing weighs about ten pounds. Car is getting driven daily and is behaving very well. Good luck.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

The absolute WORST thing you can do to improve a Studes temper (or any old car for that matter) is to keep it ensconced in a car cover for months at a time between attempted trips to meets or other outings.

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                    Is a round trip, Lompoc Ca to Modesto Ca a road trip? 540 miles total. I do it about once a month to visit the kids.
                    Went up 101 on Friday.
                    Traffic stopped on HWY 5 south on Sunday I had to head over toward Coalinga to get around it.
                    55 President State Sedan. Dual master cylinder, radial tires, Pertronics ignition[same one Bob installed in 2001 or 2002] alternator, still 6 volt, Edelbrock carb.
                    I agree with kmac530, well maintained is the key. AAA card, cell phone, credit card.
                    It's starting to get warm up there so it's time to swap in the seven blade fan [in place of the stock 4 blade fan]
                    Don't forget the oil hole at the starter.
                    A small tool box and Yeah about a shoebox of spares.
                    Best thing to do if you want a safe, dependable car is to DRIVE IT. Repair and maintain it like any good car.
                    If you don't drive em they forget and start thinking that they are doilies or a tea set or something.
                    With the lubricants and the roads available today as compared to what was available when the cars were new, a drive today is a walk in the park for any Studebaker.
                    DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE
                    I could not have said it any better. A driven car is a happy, more dependable car. To prep for the 675-700 mile, round trip to South Bend this weekend, I will raise the hood, check the oil & radiator levels, and flip the belts with fingertips. A small tool box is kept in the trunk, which includes a few spare parts. So no need to add anything else in the trunk, or pack anything special.

Comment

When I drove my Lark to the International meet in Omaha[600 mi round trip] I found a bit of anti freeze in a line on the under side of the hood. Wiped it off,and bought a rebuilt water pump at the swap meet. Put the rebuilt in the trunk and drove home-the water pump on the car never leaked again!
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                      X