Avanti II RQA serial # question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti II RQA serial # question

I am attempting to buy an Avanti II - seller states it is a 1966, but the RQA# is in the 170's and original bill of sale is dated aug. 1968. were these cars non- sequential ? were the serial numbers determined after sale?
    61 lark cruiser
    64 daytona 2dr hardtop

What's the serial number
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I looked up the production data and serial numbers and in 1968 they start with RQA 0158- RQA0257 so maybe it's a 1968 model .
      Joseph Kastellec

Comment

I have RQA 0088. As there were only some 59 units produced in 1966, it's a bit of a stretch. Body numbers moved around more so than serial numbers with some holdovers sold as the next model year, but I doubt they went the other way. Serial numbers would be assigned by the manufacturer to issue a certificate of origin for the first dealer sale. Otherwise more than one car could get the same number. The RQA # would be the serial number, but at that time or since due to changes in VIN laws all kinds of things ended up as VIN's on titles, including engine numbers, body numbers, whatever satisfied the state.
        Last edited by jlmccuan; 04-24-2012, 06:00 AM.
        Jim
        Often in error, never in doubt
        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have RQA 0253 and it is a 67
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

I owned RQA0212 - it was a '67.

Comment

Originally posted by studerodder View Post
              I am attempting to buy an Avanti II - seller states it is a 1966, but the RQA# is in the 170's and original bill of sale is dated aug. 1968. were these cars non- sequential ? were the serial numbers determined after sale?
              The car is a 1968 Avanti II.
              The Serial Numbers were sequential within a year, but some of the build got "mixed" and there were gaps in S/Ns between years.
              The Serial Numbers were assigned at build, long before sale.
              Last edited by studegary; 04-24-2012, 11:02 AM. Reason: expanded answer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
                I have RQA 0088. As there were only some 59 units produced in 1966, it's a bit of a stretch. Body numbers moved around more so than serial numbers with some holdovers sold as the next model year, but I doubt they went the other way. Serial numbers would be assigned by the manufacturer to issue a certificate of origin for the first dealer sale. Otherwise more than one car could get the same number. The RQA # would be the serial number, but at that time or since due to changes in VIN laws all kinds of things ended up as VIN's on titles, including engine numbers, body numbers, whatever satisfied the state.
                RQA 0088 is one of 60 1966 Avanti IIs.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                  I have RQA 0253 and it is a 67
                  RQA 0253 is one of the last 1968 Avanti IIs.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by Effie View Post
                    I owned RQA0212 - it was a '67.
                    RQA 0212 is mid-way in 1968 Avanti II production.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

OK guys, here's what i have found out. this was a one owner car until 2 weeks ago. title says 1966 - original bill of sale says aug. 20, 1968. serial # is RQA-0175. this is a big purchase for me, so tell me, am i making a mistake? 10 - 15 years from now, when i am ready to sell, will this issue affect the sale, or is it common among these cars? i have seen cars on the registry listed as 67's which seem like 68's. many Avanti II owners don't seem to refer to their cars by year.
                      61 lark cruiser
                      64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by studerodder View Post
                        OK guys, here's what i have found out. this was a one owner car until 2 weeks ago. title says 1966 - original bill of sale says aug. 20, 1968. serial # is RQA-0175. this is a big purchase for me, so tell me, am i making a mistake? 10 - 15 years from now, when i am ready to sell, will this issue affect the sale, or is it common among these cars? i have seen cars on the registry listed as 67's which seem like 68's. many Avanti II owners don't seem to refer to their cars by year.
                        RQA 0175 is a 1968. Your original sale date also supports this. I believe that there was a typo on the title at some point. This is not the first that I have seen that happen. When was the title issued that you are referring to. Because it is a one owner car does not necessarily mean that it is on its original title. It could have a different title due to a number of things, like the owner moved to another state, the title was a reissue due to the original title being lost, etc. As a 1968, it should have sidelights in the front fenders or holes where they were just beyond the bumper, unless they were filled as someone on this Forum has recently done. A 1966 would not have side lights. Does the Serial Number plate on the frame match the number on the title? I would definetly want to get this straightened out.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

gary, thanks for the info on the side lights. this car does not have them, and does not appear to have been altered or painted. any other differences between 66 and 68?
                          61 lark cruiser
                          64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

A '68 should have a dual circuit master cylinder, though that could have been retrofitted as many Avantis have been. If it has a single circuit master cylinder, that would be a good indication it's a '66.

You're correct when owners refer to the cars as Avantis rather than by year. The year is more for registration purposes and what safety and emissions laws it's required to meet. I think that as far as the Avanti goes, the differences seem to be between Studebaker (R1, R2, R3), Avanti II's by RQA or RQB, Blake or Kelly or Kelly/Caffaro cars. The model year...at least with Avanti owners is more important for sourcing correct parts replacement.

BTW - does your car still have a manufacture date label on the drivers door jamb, right under the lock receiver on the body? That should give month and date of assembly.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I now have the feeling that this Avanti is made from parts of more than one car and the body, frame, Serial Number, etc. may not all match.

I will ask again. Does the Serial Number plate on the frame match the Serial Number that you have been posting? Does the S/N plate appear to have been repositioned or do you think that the frame may have been changed (quite common - especially in the rust belt)?
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X