No announcement yet.

Grandpas Hawks Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only fast studebaker I ever owned was a 58 Packard Hawk-it surprized a few Camero's & Mustangs but not too many Chrysler's.The 2bbl. V/8's I found 2-B a bit of a slug.

Comment

IIRC, dad's ole 51 cmdr would do 90 in 2d od and 105 in high. not bad considering it was 10 years old at the time and had been rode hard and put up wet. sorry to say it now resides in the pasture with briers and saplings, not much left. I assume the speedometer was close to correct.

pwbrown

Comment

IIRC, dad's ole 51 cmdr would do 90 in 2d od and 105 in high. not bad considering it was 10 years old at the time and had been rode hard and put up wet. sorry to say it now resides in the pasture with briers and saplings, not much left. I assume the speedometer was close to correct.

pwbrown

Comment

episode 7 class and style.

Grandpa was tending bar and a car salesman came in and had a drink. While he was there he told Grandpa he should stop in and Check out the new Fords for 65 and trade his old tired Studebaker. Grandpa said he paused for a moment and asked what kinda mileage does that new ford get. The guy said about 19mph. Grandpa ask What kind a torque they were getting out of that car? They salesman said 285 ftlbs. Granpa then ask if it looked like the 64's. He said the salesman pulled out a flyer and gave it to him to look at. Grandpa said he looked at the flyer a moment then said " So i guess what your asking my if i am ready to downgrade from Class and Style to a soup can, with less torque and not near the mpg that i get now? I reckon i will hang on to my old tired studebaker a little longer." He said he said it all with a smile and that salesman never said another word just finished his beer and headed down the road.

you know i miss hearing all these old stories from him.... bet i heard them all 100 times...

Erin Hays
          "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
          RZRECTD
          1961 Hawk
          1962 Lark
          1963 Wagonaire

Comment

episode 7 class and style.

Grandpa was tending bar and a car salesman came in and had a drink. While he was there he told Grandpa he should stop in and Check out the new Fords for 65 and trade his old tired Studebaker. Grandpa said he paused for a moment and asked what kinda mileage does that new ford get. The guy said about 19mph. Grandpa ask What kind a torque they were getting out of that car? They salesman said 285 ftlbs. Granpa then ask if it looked like the 64's. He said the salesman pulled out a flyer and gave it to him to look at. Grandpa said he looked at the flyer a moment then said " So i guess what your asking my if i am ready to downgrade from Class and Style to a soup can, with less torque and not near the mpg that i get now? I reckon i will hang on to my old tired studebaker a little longer." He said he said it all with a smile and that salesman never said another word just finished his beer and headed down the road.

you know i miss hearing all these old stories from him.... bet i heard them all 100 times...

Erin Hays
            "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
            RZRECTD
            1961 Hawk
            1962 Lark
            1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Great stories. It was definitely a different time. Do any of this now and the cops will throw you in the can and throw away the key. Back then, you might get off with a warning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Great stories. It was definitely a different time. Do any of this now and the cops will throw you in the can and throw away the key. Back then, you might get off with a warning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The first car I owned, in 1964, was a '60 Hawk, just about like your grandpa's. It was a 225 hp, OD, TT car. I'd owned it for a few months, but never had driven it very fast until two of us were going to New Orleans one night. Just outside of NO is the Lake Ponchatrain bridge, 26 miles long, dead flat and dead smooth. it was 3 AM, not another car in sight, so I put my foot it it and watched the speedo wind around, way past 120, even a tad past the bottom and headed back up...about 150 indicated.

On recapped tires, on a bridge, in the middle of a lake. {shudder}

All the road tests at the time reported 110-115 MPH as top end for the 225 HP Hawks, so that speedo must have been WAY optimistic.

Comment

The first car I owned, in 1964, was a '60 Hawk, just about like your grandpa's. It was a 225 hp, OD, TT car. I'd owned it for a few months, but never had driven it very fast until two of us were going to New Orleans one night. Just outside of NO is the Lake Ponchatrain bridge, 26 miles long, dead flat and dead smooth. it was 3 AM, not another car in sight, so I put my foot it it and watched the speedo wind around, way past 120, even a tad past the bottom and headed back up...about 150 indicated.

On recapped tires, on a bridge, in the middle of a lake. {shudder}

All the road tests at the time reported 110-115 MPH as top end for the 225 HP Hawks, so that speedo must have been WAY optimistic.

Comment

An Avanti owner in Denton, Texas told me that the reason he got into Studebakers was because of a race that he was in. He had a 58 Olds and was racing down the interstate with a guy who had a 56 Chevy. They would pass each other when they could and were going flat out, when a gentleman in a 4 door president, with one arm across the back of the front seat, one hand on the wheel, passed them both up. They were both quite humbled by that experience.

Comment

An Avanti owner in Denton, Texas told me that the reason he got into Studebakers was because of a race that he was in. He had a 58 Olds and was racing down the interstate with a guy who had a 56 Chevy. They would pass each other when they could and were going flat out, when a gentleman in a 4 door president, with one arm across the back of the front seat, one hand on the wheel, passed them both up. They were both quite humbled by that experience.

Comment

I love hearing stories from "The Old Days". There is a fellow named "Gord Hazlett" here in Ontario who worked in the auto business (mostly service) since the 30's. He wrote a book called "Old Auto Tales" which I really enjoyed reading. Worth picking up.
                          Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

I love hearing stories from "The Old Days". There is a fellow named "Gord Hazlett" here in Ontario who worked in the auto business (mostly service) since the 30's. He wrote a book called "Old Auto Tales" which I really enjoyed reading. Worth picking up.
                            Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Hey, Erin, how fast have YOU gotten the Hawk up to? [)]

Matthew Burnette
                              '59 Scotsman
                              '63 Daytona
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

Hey, Erin, how fast have YOU gotten the Hawk up to? [)]

Matthew Burnette
                                '59 Scotsman
                                '63 Daytona
                                Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

Working...
                                X