Bill Cathcart's Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Cathcart's Book

....or so I've heard. Is there really a publication from Bill regarding performance enhancements for the champion Six? Anyone have one they'd like to sell?

thx
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

I've never heard of it myself but if it was available I'd want it too. I'm sure alot of the info he has stored in his head could be applied not only to the 6's but to all engines too. How about getting Jack Vines, Mike Van Veghten. Bill Cathcart & others all get together & author a book on building Stude's & the modifications you could make to them. The only one that I'm aware of ever doing such was Dick Dodson years ago. I had those but lost them in the moves the past few years.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thought you meant an autobiography.
      "Ningen Kokuhō," they call it in Japan.
      I hear the Australians do it, too.

Comment

Here is an article:

http://www.studebaker-info.org/TW/tw0599/tw0599p10.html

Comment

and another link:

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Cathcart/bc.html

Comment

Good stuff.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

In one of the above referenced links Bill Cathcart mentioned (May 1999 Article) building a 185 cid flathead to 150 hp for an Avanti for Bonneville. The way I understand it the Avanti never did run at Bonneville with Bill's modified 185. In late 2001 I called Bill and inquired about buying one of his Stg-4 185s for my '50 Champion Starlight Coupe. He offered me that particular "Avanti" engine but he didn't thing that it would make a long running durable life span due to it having very high compression. I asked he he could "de-tune it" a bit and I'd buy it. He lowered the compression back to 8:1 and installed smaller Holly Carbs and drove it down to York in 2002. I bought it and brought it back here and installed in into my car. Later that year I drove it to the Int'l Meet in SB. It's been a great engine and runs "SUPER". The car has an electric fuel pump. The engine starts right up as if it was fuel injected. Bill does great work. He used to guarantee his reworked 169s & 185s for 24 mths/unlimited mileage. I've got almost 10 years & 6,000 miles on my "special" 185 Stg-4 Engine ... Harv
              StudeBakerHarv
              * 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe (Cathcart Stg 4 Engine)
              * 1971 Avanti II (RQB-1659).

Comment

looking for someone in u.s. who does flat 6 engines to cathcart specs.champion 169 for 1950 starlight want to purchase. give me a price and see how we go,i'll organize shipping to oz thanks.

Comment

also just remembered the only part i really need is righthand drive idler arm any clues would help

Comment

If you are looking for an article on hopping up the Studebaker flathead Champ six, try seeking out the September, 1955 issue of Rod and Custom. This is back when itr was one of those smaller, "pocket" sized car mags. This issue has a five-page article on hop up tips for the Stude motor.
                    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                    \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                      If you are looking for an article on hopping up the Studebaker flathead Champ six, try seeking out the September, 1955 issue of Rod and Custom. This is back when itr was one of those smaller, "pocket" sized car mags. This issue has a five-page article on hop up tips for the Stude motor.
                      I just bought that one. It's primarily a showcase of the Frank Morgan equipment. Scanning the illustrations and re-typing it is on my "to-do" list.

I'd also like to get an expanded look at what's been done with these engines in the intervening 58 years, though.
                      9G-F5 - '50 Champion two-door sedan

Comment

Rod and Custom, September, 1955

Hopping Up The STUDEBAKER 6Cutaway of the 1955 Studebaker Champion 6. Though this engine has never been famous for performance, rugged construction makes it a natural as bait. HP can go to 194.

This 3-1/8" bore engine is slated for use in an MG. Note expert relieve job by Morgan Co.

The Morgan Company offers, among many other items for the Stude 6, the above equipment. Economy minded enthusiasts should start by purchasing the head first, then progressing to the manifold, cam and, lastly, the full race setup in the bottom photo. Parts can be purchased separately or as a complete kit. All above parts would run just over $200.
                        9G-F5 - '50 Champion two-door sedan

Comment

Working...
                        X