Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker Master Mechanics awards...do you qualify?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Master Mechanics awards...do you qualify?

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Now if you had a few of those different 'tests' I'd be interested in seeing them.

Comment

What's interesting is alot of the requirements sound like the basics for the ASE and Master ASE requirements that came along a few years after Studebaker closed.
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
        Now if you had a few of those different 'tests' I'd be interested in seeing them.
        I do have all of the Service Bulletins from 1926 thru 1963. This includes some of the Service Bulletin quizzes and I suspect the test questions are taken from that source.
        Richard Quinn

Comment

Here pictures of the actual lapel pins from my collection.
          Richard Quinn

Comment

I have one of the gold pins. Had 2 but sold one to someone I believe that was from Austrailia at the 1997 International Meet.

Denny L

Comment

I could never qualify since I can't attend the Service Club meetings.

Comment

I have the silver "Qualified Mechanic" pin, plus excellent 5- and 10-year service pins, given to me by Carl E. Filer, Jr., dealer.
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

Note the sentence from the original 1944 folder, "Only the lapel emblem for your street coat is featured, but an attractive although somewhat larger emblem for use with your shop coat is a part of the award." The button above was intended for the shop coat. It is a pin back 2 1/4" in diameter. This from John Rolando the son of the founder of Rolando Motors in Ladd, Illinois a dealer I frequented often in the 20 or so years after 1966. In fact it is the same dealer that had the NOS pick up box that I used in my '40 Champion Coupe Delivery.
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

Do I qualify for the Master Mechanic award? Let's see:
                    1) Given only in recognition of proven ability: No one sees my work, so, no.

2) Can be worn with genuine pride & satisfaction. I would be proud if I had such an award, so, yes.

3) A stepping stone to promotion: I am a one-man garage, so, no.

4) Your work will be less difficult because of your "know-how". The more I learn, the less I find that I actually know. So, no.

5) Your personal reputation as a expert service man will be increased..Refer back to # 1, above. No.

4 nos and 1 yes. I guess I don't qualify.

Dave Bonn
                    '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

Note the sentence from the original 1944 folder, "Only the lapel emblem for your street coat is featured, but an attractive although somewhat larger emblem for use with your shop coat is a part of the award." The button above was intended for the shop coat. It is a pin back 2 1/4" in diameter. This from John Rolando the son of the founder of Rolando Motors in Ladd, Illinois a dealer I frequented often in the 20 or so years after 1966. In fact it is the same dealer that had the NOS pick up box that I used in my '40 Champion Coupe Delivery.
                      Dick,
                      Have you ever seen a Qualified Mechanic Service Shop Coat button? I have seen a few of the Master Mechanic examples over the years.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                      MELBOURNE.

Comment

I have two of the Master Mechanic buttons like the one I posted (#2 does not have a name) but I do not have one of the Qualified Mechanic.
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

I believe every car manufacturer did something like this for the dealership techs. I have a really nice Sterling Silver coin awarded by GM to auto body technicians. It's about the size of a silver dollar. Only thing that
                          would make it nicer would be if it were from the Studebaker Corp.

Comment

Why don't you test us and we'll See.....

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              I believe every car manufacturer did something like this for the dealership techs. I have a really nice Sterling Silver coin awarded by GM to auto body technicians. It's about the size of a silver dollar. Only thing that
                              would make it nicer would be if it were from the Studebaker Corp.
                              I have a nice quality pocket knife with "Chrysler Master Technician" on a gold color (brass) metal insert in the "pearl" handle. I got this in the late 1940s-early 1950s. I was not a Chrysler fan then, so I filed off the Chrysler name. I still use the pocket knife. I can not read it now, but I believe that it is a Schrade knife. It probably would have some value in the proper circles/market if I hadn't filed the Chrysler off about 60 years ago.

Dealership salespeople also had similar awards/recognition. Chrysler had bronze, silver and gold levels. The bronze and silver were easy to get because all that you had to do was go to classes and take tests. When the tests were done on a TV hook-up some had other people take the test for them. The gold award was the meaningful one because you had to have a CSI (customer satisfaction index) of something like 90% for the year. I reached gold with a CSI of 100% for my last full time year of Chrysler Corp. sales.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X