Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studedude1961
    replied
    "Splendida" is much better for you than sugar!

Leave a comment:

• Chantony
    replied
    Funnily enough,we successfully grew lucerne on the farm as a food supplement .It had a deep root system and could help prevent rising water tables.It would seem weird driving a Lucerne.
    I thought Starliner and Starlite ( starlight) were the best names ever.The connotation was into the future with inter planetary travel,huge glass areas to admire the stars as you sped to the moon,plus many people still go on about the beautiful glow of the instrument panel at night.
    It's funny the small things people recall about cars that have gone by.
    Transtar was a great name.The star of the transport field.

A.C.Moisley

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by MyStude_Baker
    The car might have made it in spite of the name, but there were too many strikes against it: Recession, strikes, which limited steering columns, clocks, and even the mechanism that operated speed o' meters. No Edsel never had a chance, but it was one hell of a car for all the right reasons.
    It has come to light in recent years, it was some within Ford Motor Company who did NOT wish it to succeed, and padded all the numbers to make it look bad; especially when it didn't hit their sales targets in 1958. True, the recession of that year got all the middle priced cars, but it was only temporary. In Canada, Ford sold the Monarch and Meteor and Mercury trucks with unique trim that cost extra, along with the marketing expenses to go with it. And they sold in far less numbers in some years than the Edsel did, yet they were successful enough in Ford's eyes to keep them in production for several years. That is the main reason I tend to believe it was a setup on Ford's part to label the Edsel a failure.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• MyStude_Baker
    replied
    You're right about the Edsel. Few cars went through as much as that poor thing. That's why in 1988 I bought one for myself. Ford spent a lot of money trying to come up with a name of the "E" car. In fact, the best names were given to each series. Ranger, Pacer, Corsair, Citation, and the wagons: Bermuda, Villager, and the Roundup. However, it wasn't Ford that wanted the name, it was Ernest Breech, who had been calling it that for some time. In fact, when they did public surveys no one even knew who Edsel was? They know now, but for all the wrong reasons. The car might have made it in spite of the name, but there were too many strikes against it: Recession, strikes, which limited steering columns, clocks, and even the mechanism that operated speed o' meters. No Edsel never had a chance, but it was one hell of a car for all the right reasons. Oh yes. I like Land cruiser, but I'm not biased.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Leave a comment:

• SlotBaker
    replied
    Craig, Thank you.
    1936, Got it.
    Very Cool.

Steve K
    1963 Lark Cruiser
    SCCNSW, Australia.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by SlotBaker

Metro,
    Ace,
    Boss,
    Mogul,
    Chief.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 556063

My favorite Studebaker name: Challenger.
    Toyota Land Cruiser. Dodge Challenger. Do any other Studebaker names live on?
    International continues to use the Transtar name on a series of heavy trucks. Here is a weblink to info and pics of such: http://www.internationaltrucks.com/T...tar/Ownership/
    Since 2006 a Dodge Charger could be had with a Daytona appearance package.

Leave a comment:

• SlotBaker
    replied
    And then there are; Econ-O-Miler '58 Taxi, Marshal '58 Police, Zip.

I like Cruiser.

quote:Originally posted by dictator27

Director. It was used on certain model Studes sold in Europe.
    And the Dictator was the Director in Australia.

8E45E - Craig, Mentioned these truck names back on 07/06/07, and I was just hoping that someone might tell us the years that those names were used.

Metro,
    Ace,
    Boss,
    Mogul,
    Chief.

I've got a page on our club website attempting to list names;
    http://studebakercarclubnsw.com/heritage05.html
    and I'd like to make it as complete and accurate as possible.

Steve K
    1963 Lark Cruiser
    SCCNSW, Australia.

Leave a comment:

replied
    My favorite Studebaker name: Challenger. For Studebaker, it was too little too late.

My Favorite all-time nameplate: Intrepid. Taken from the USS Intrepid, the current floating museum in NY Harbor that survived more Kamakazi attacks than any other Naval ship, to represent what was at the time the former Chrysler Corporation's best effort to fight the ever increasing footprint of Japanese Imports as the name for their volume car in the large sedan segment.

Toyota Land Cruiser. Dodge Challenger. Do any other Studebaker names live on?

Leave a comment:

• studerodder
    replied
    CRUISER!

Leave a comment:

• studeefrek
    replied
    hudson had a thing about bugs (hornut wasp)

27 commander 47 M5 50 2dr 51 conv. 50 starlite 37 coupe express

Leave a comment:

• studeefrek
    replied
    look at the 51 hub caps and see the thunderbird logo ford ask if studebaker was going to use name and they gave ford the go ahead to use it

27 commander 47 M5 50 2dr 51 conv. 50 starlite 37 coupe express

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by N8N

I'm guessing that that "Splendida" from the comments already made was probably a styling exercise that was trying out ideas that were actually used albeit in a toned down form for '63.
    That is a given in the industry with very few exceptions. The showcar version will have either something impractical on it that won't appeal to the masses such as the oversize Vanity/glove compartment, or the the cost cutters will dictate some interesting features be removed such as the door handles just to save a buck or two per car.

In modern times, I was very disappointed the new production Dodge Challenger didn't remain a true pillarless two door hardtop like the 2006 showcar. Apparently, Daimler at the time didn't want to budget extra engineering dollars on the required body strengthing to make it a true hardtop; which is rather ironic. Mercedes Benz makes more true two door hardtops than any other car manufacturer, so one would think most of the extra development costs to make it pillarless would have been next to nil.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• COMMANDERPINK1
    replied
    How abou YUGO dont go
    Lucerne also called them Lucifer

Tom

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Jim B PEI
    While Academy Blue, Ceramic Green, Cardinal, and Oakwood Brown sound okay, imagine driving a Claypipe Grey.
    You forgot their pale yellow color, 'Flax'!!

Craig

Leave a comment:

Working...
X