No announcement yet.

CAR NAMES - Studebaker had great model names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote: Not a single mention of "Speedster" yet?

Curtis French
    You're right Curtis. I wonder why they dropped Speedster so fast? Maybe because many cars had used the word Speedster in the 20s and 30s.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Curtis French
      You're right Curtis. I wonder why they dropped Speedster so fast? Maybe because many cars had used the word Speedster in the 20s and 30s.

Leonard Shepherd
      Studebaker did use the name Speedway in the 1930's.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Curtis French

Leonard Shepherd
        Studebaker did use the name Speedway in the 1930's.

Craig

Comment

Studebaker did use the Speedster name prior to the 1955 President Speedster that most associate with Speedster. Without looking it up, I think that the prior Speedster was about 1923-1924.

I think that the truck names listed by DilloCrafter are not "model names", but are the Telegram shorthand reference names used internally by Studebaker. The cars had a set of names like that also.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Studebaker did use the Speedster name prior to the 1955 President Speedster that most associate with Speedster. Without looking it up, I think that the prior Speedster was about 1923-1924.

I think that the truck names listed by DilloCrafter are not "model names", but are the Telegram shorthand reference names used internally by Studebaker. The cars had a set of names like that also.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Very definitely; See my earlier post:
              "Are you sure those aren't the Western Union telegram code words, if so no one actually spoke them! And they sure don't sound like anyone EVER would!"

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
              StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Very definitely; See my earlier post:
                "Are you sure those aren't the Western Union telegram code words, if so no one actually spoke them! And they sure don't sound like anyone EVER would!"

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
                StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Stutz had a model named Challenger from 1931-34
                  Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Stutz had a model named Challenger from 1931-34
                    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

• No one has named " President " yet. I think for an American car that is one of the best when it first came out. In the twenties and thirties President had a different connotation than it has had in the last few years.

Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO
                      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                      Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO

Comment

• No one has named " President " yet. I think for an American car that is one of the best when it first came out. In the twenties and thirties President had a different connotation than it has had in the last few years.

Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO
                        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                        Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO

Comment

• I like the Avanti name very much and there is no disputing it's great reputation and longevity. However, the Avanti name was a serious departure from the company's marketing plans at the time it was introduced. The passenger cars in the 1963 Model year were birds (Larks & Hawks.) So logically, it could be argued that the Avanti should have been the Eagle, (I know, I know, AMC used Eagle later) or perhaps, the Raptor or Condor (any bird of prey.) Avanti (as a name) has other issues as well. I have heard many people mispronounce or struggle to pronounce (or spell) Avanti - but never Lark or Hawk. Likewise, an average consumer in 1963, understood the connection between the Lark name and the automobile. Not so much with the Avanti. Avanti is an Italian word, (definition: "in front") which could have been as much a disadvantage as an advantage. An American car with a foreign name, appealing while possibly sounding too much like an import?

The earlier names: Champion, Dictator, President, & Commander are all leader-type names. Great continuity, nice positioning and all excellant names.

55 Commander
                          58 Transtar
                          62 GT Hawk
                          66 Cruiser

Comment

• I like the Avanti name very much and there is no disputing it's great reputation and longevity. However, the Avanti name was a serious departure from the company's marketing plans at the time it was introduced. The passenger cars in the 1963 Model year were birds (Larks & Hawks.) So logically, it could be argued that the Avanti should have been the Eagle, (I know, I know, AMC used Eagle later) or perhaps, the Raptor or Condor (any bird of prey.) Avanti (as a name) has other issues as well. I have heard many people mispronounce or struggle to pronounce (or spell) Avanti - but never Lark or Hawk. Likewise, an average consumer in 1963, understood the connection between the Lark name and the automobile. Not so much with the Avanti. Avanti is an Italian word, (definition: "in front") which could have been as much a disadvantage as an advantage. An American car with a foreign name, appealing while possibly sounding too much like an import?

The earlier names: Champion, Dictator, President, & Commander are all leader-type names. Great continuity, nice positioning and all excellant names.

55 Commander
                            58 Transtar
                            62 GT Hawk
                            66 Cruiser

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

Best and worst and names are kinda difficult for me as the names usually denoted trim and engine options for Studebaker, among other things. So I gonna change it a little here:
                              Best name: Avanti
                              Worst name: Splendida(The prototype name that had that was gonna be in place of Avanti.
                              There was also a Lark 'Splendida' prototype.[:0]

Craig

Comment

• Nice Craig!! I don't recall having ever seen that picture. What other rare treats are you holding out on? Please share!

Autumn at Lake Barget
                                In the middle of Minnestudea
                                sigpic
                                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                                X