Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary1953
    replied
    No one has named " President " yet. I think for an American car that is one of the best when it first came out. In the twenties and thirties President had a different connotation than it has had in the last few years.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

Leave a comment:

• bob40
    replied
    Stutz had a model named Challenger from 1931-34

Leave a comment:

• bob40
    replied
    Stutz had a model named Challenger from 1931-34

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Very definitely; See my earlier post:
    "Are you sure those aren't the Western Union telegram code words, if so no one actually spoke them! And they sure don't sound like anyone EVER would!"

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I think that the truck names listed by DilloCrafter are not "model names", but are the Telegram shorthand reference names used internally by Studebaker. The cars had a set of names like that also.
    Gary L.
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Very definitely; See my earlier post:
    "Are you sure those aren't the Western Union telegram code words, if so no one actually spoke them! And they sure don't sound like anyone EVER would!"

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I think that the truck names listed by DilloCrafter are not "model names", but are the Telegram shorthand reference names used internally by Studebaker. The cars had a set of names like that also.
    Gary L.
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Studebaker did use the Speedster name prior to the 1955 President Speedster that most associate with Speedster. Without looking it up, I think that the prior Speedster was about 1923-1924.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Studebaker did use the Speedster name prior to the 1955 President Speedster that most associate with Speedster. Without looking it up, I think that the prior Speedster was about 1923-1924.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by lstude

quote: Not a single mention of "Speedster" yet?

Curtis French
    You're right Curtis. I wonder why they dropped Speedster so fast? Maybe because many cars had used the word Speedster in the 20s and 30s.

Leonard Shepherd
    Studebaker did use the name Speedway in the 1930's.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by lstude

Curtis French
    You're right Curtis. I wonder why they dropped Speedster so fast? Maybe because many cars had used the word Speedster in the 20s and 30s.

Leonard Shepherd
    Studebaker did use the name Speedway in the 1930's.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied

Curtis French

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied

Curtis French

Leonard Shepherd

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    There is an interesting story about the lawsuit between the names Studebaker Wagonaire and Jeep Wagoneer.

I can't remember who sued who, but both cars were designed by Brooks Stevens at about the same time and I assume he also thought up the names.

Leonard Shepherd

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    There is an interesting story about the lawsuit between the names Studebaker Wagonaire and Jeep Wagoneer.

I can't remember who sued who, but both cars were designed by Brooks Stevens at about the same time and I assume he also thought up the names.

Leonard Shepherd

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    If you look in TW July 2006, page 26. you will find and article about names including the Thunderbird that Stude had. There was one Thunderbird built by Hellings Victress company, that Virgil Rice was General Manager of in 53. There is an article in Car Craft Feb. 1954 pages 40-42 that shows the car before the owner of Victress company William-I-Boyce-Smith wrecked. Virgil Rice was the Vice President of The Avanti Owners Ass. in the 70's.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    If you look in TW July 2006, page 26. you will find and article about names including the Thunderbird that Stude had. There was one Thunderbird built by Hellings Victress company, that Virgil Rice was General Manager of in 53. There is an article in Car Craft Feb. 1954 pages 40-42 that shows the car before the owner of Victress company William-I-Boyce-Smith wrecked. Virgil Rice was the Vice President of The Avanti Owners Ass. in the 70's.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X