Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Mick
    replied
    I would have to say my favourite name is "SPEEDSTER" closely followed by "AVANTI"

Michael Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
    1961 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
    http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Simply amazing car, and a very luxurious Interior like a Cruiser on steroids.

This looks very Brooks Stevens, the Vanity is so large, the radio had to be Vertical like the '76 Volare/Aspen!

It really shows what the '63 Lark MAY have looked like, without Management, Finance, Production Dept. and Stockholders interference! [^]

StudeRich

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Wow! The vanity holds 3 Raymond Loewey designed Coke bottles and 2 Dixie cups! Beat that Chrysler mini-van!! I also notice an Illinois state map from a Standard gas station in the vanity. Is there also a coin tray for holding change for the many Illinois toll booths? Does anyone know if this car still exists? Anyone know who designed it? How many questions may I ask before I get the boot?

Autumn at Lake Barget
    In the middle of Minnestudea

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    I am impressed. I have never seen that car before (regardless of name). I would like to know more about it.

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Craig! DUDE!!![:0] NICE!!!!!!!![^][8D][]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    A marketing home run: "Golden Hawk"

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Nice Craig!! I don't recall having ever seen that picture. What other rare treats are you holding out on?
    The dash!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Jim B PEI
    replied
    "Splendida"? No worse than "Superba" (I thought those Checkers were Super-BA or Super-B-A when I was a kid) That car looks like it should have an electric metal sunroof with a wind deflector. And an in-line six with split exhaust manifold and dual exhausts. Sort of staid/sexy.

Jim B on PEI
    63 259 o/d Wagonaire
    57 Champion W4 o/d
    57 Champion W4 automatic

Leave a comment:

• stude62
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

Best and worst and names are kinda difficult for me as the names usually denoted trim and engine options for Studebaker, among other things. So I gonna change it a little here:
    Best name: Avanti
    Worst name: Splendida(The prototype name that had that was gonna be in place of Avanti.
    There was also a Lark 'Splendida' prototype.[:0]

Craig

I have never seen this! How FABULOUS is this car? VERY!

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Leave a comment:

• stude62
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by lstude

IMO, the worst name of any car was the

Daihatsu Charade

But maybe that is what Studebaker should have called the 57-58 Packards!

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

I take it you never saw the "car". The name fit it perfectly. Diahatsu has the WORST car commercials, bar none.

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Nice Craig!! I don't recall having ever seen that picture. What other rare treats are you holding out on? Please share!

Autumn at Lake Barget
    In the middle of Minnestudea

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

Best and worst and names are kinda difficult for me as the names usually denoted trim and engine options for Studebaker, among other things. So I gonna change it a little here:
    Best name: Avanti
    Worst name: Splendida(The prototype name that had that was gonna be in place of Avanti.
    There was also a Lark 'Splendida' prototype.[:0]

Craig

Leave a comment:

• HookedonStudies
    replied
    I like the Avanti name very much and there is no disputing it's great reputation and longevity. However, the Avanti name was a serious departure from the company's marketing plans at the time it was introduced. The passenger cars in the 1963 Model year were birds (Larks & Hawks.) So logically, it could be argued that the Avanti should have been the Eagle, (I know, I know, AMC used Eagle later) or perhaps, the Raptor or Condor (any bird of prey.) Avanti (as a name) has other issues as well. I have heard many people mispronounce or struggle to pronounce (or spell) Avanti - but never Lark or Hawk. Likewise, an average consumer in 1963, understood the connection between the Lark name and the automobile. Not so much with the Avanti. Avanti is an Italian word, (definition: "in front") which could have been as much a disadvantage as an advantage. An American car with a foreign name, appealing while possibly sounding too much like an import?

The earlier names: Champion, Dictator, President, & Commander are all leader-type names. Great continuity, nice positioning and all excellant names.

55 Commander
    58 Transtar
    62 GT Hawk
    66 Cruiser

Leave a comment:

• HookedonStudies
    replied
    I like the Avanti name very much and there is no disputing it's great reputation and longevity. However, the Avanti name was a serious departure from the company's marketing plans at the time it was introduced. The passenger cars in the 1963 Model year were birds (Larks & Hawks.) So logically, it could be argued that the Avanti should have been the Eagle, (I know, I know, AMC used Eagle later) or perhaps, the Raptor or Condor (any bird of prey.) Avanti (as a name) has other issues as well. I have heard many people mispronounce or struggle to pronounce (or spell) Avanti - but never Lark or Hawk. Likewise, an average consumer in 1963, understood the connection between the Lark name and the automobile. Not so much with the Avanti. Avanti is an Italian word, (definition: "in front") which could have been as much a disadvantage as an advantage. An American car with a foreign name, appealing while possibly sounding too much like an import?

The earlier names: Champion, Dictator, President, & Commander are all leader-type names. Great continuity, nice positioning and all excellant names.

55 Commander
    58 Transtar
    62 GT Hawk
    66 Cruiser

Leave a comment:

• Gary1953
    replied
    No one has named " President " yet. I think for an American car that is one of the best when it first came out. In the twenties and thirties President had a different connotation than it has had in the last few years.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X