• Show
Clear All

• studerodder
    replied
    c'mon guys, CRUISER is the coolest!

Leave a comment:

• Jim B PEI
    replied
    About Japanese home market cars: was just in New Zealand where they import used cars from Japan and other places, as well as the white-market new cars. I've noticed that the Japanese cars have all sorts of semi-coherent "Japlish" name modifiers that add nothing to the understanding of what the car 'is' and almost sound like they mean something, even if you don't understand. I saw a basic Toyota Corolla Hatchback L with "Super Windy G" added. A friend there has an Isuzu Rodeo Turbodiesel Wizard Wu <g> The only time I remember a NA car company doing something similar was then Kaiser added the colour in chrome script to the fender of the Kaiser Deluxes. While Academy Blue, Ceramic Green, Cardinal, and Oakwood Brown sound okay, imagine driving a Claypipe Grey.

Jim B on PEI
    63 259 o/d Wagonaire
    57 Champion W4 o/d
    57 Champion W4 automatic

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    I'm guessing that that "Splendida" from the comments already made was probably a styling exercise that was trying out ideas that were actually used albeit in a toned down form for '63. The dash actually does look very '63-ish, it just looks like the vanity was made smaller, vertical radio didn't make it, etc.

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• stude62
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker

Best and worst names.

Seems today's manufactures are trending towards number designation Infinity for example,
    While others hold onto tradition in naming.

Worst names non Studebaker
    Le Car
    Golf
    Festiva - there was nothing Festival, or party like in that little box.

Best Non Stude
    Tahoe, Denali, Feeling of space beauty and gradure, outdoors and long lasting.
    And the SS designation Surprising it's still in use after WWII, but there's no mistaking its meaning when it comes to Cars.

Best Studebaker names
    Daytona and Commander
    Trucks #, letter designation.

Worst,
    Not sure [8)]

ChopStu

119 weeks till completion.
    I knew an abrasive woman when I was at OSU - she was dating one of my High School friends. What they saw in her I have no idea, but the girl was ugly, psychotic and dangerous. She drove a white Renault LeCar and her vanity plates (with a capital V) said "Miss Thing". At least she was honest about that.

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
    It really shows what the '63 Lark MAY have looked like, without Management, Finance, Production Dept. and Stockholders interference!
    Yep, its amazing to think would could have been if the cost-cutters didn't keep a lid on tooling costs. Most interesting to me are the '61 Ford-like door handles that are part of the side trim.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• dictator27
    replied
    The Le Car was marketed in Canada for a while as Le Frog. Didn't go over well in Quebec.

Terry

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Model names that Studebaker should have used (or at least considered using): Indy, Hoosier, Sherwood, Brooks, Rustsalot, Leaksalot....

Autumn at Lake Barget
    In the middle of Minnestudea

Leave a comment:

• 4961Studebaker
    replied
    Best and worst names.

Seems today's manufactures are trending towards number designation Infinity for example,
    While others hold onto tradition in naming.

Worst names non Studebaker
    Le Car
    Golf
    Festiva - there was nothing Festival, or party like in that little box.

Best Non Stude
    Tahoe, Denali, Feeling of space beauty and gradure, outdoors and long lasting.
    And the SS designation Surprising it's still in use after WWII, but there's no mistaking its meaning when it comes to Cars.

Best Studebaker names
    Daytona and Commander
    Trucks #, letter designation.

Worst,
    Not sure [8)]

ChopStu

119 weeks till completion.

Leave a comment:

• dictator27
    replied
    There is one Studebaker model name missing here. Director. It was used on certain model Studes sold in Europe. I think which model and why it was changed should be easy to figure out.

Terry

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by stude62
    Its name: "The East Glows"
    Here's a few early postwar Japanese cars with odd names:
    http://www.toyota.co.jp/Museum/data_e/a03_08_8.html

I belive Nissan still calls the Z a 'Fairlady' in its home market. Datsun/Nissan was smart in designating numbers such as B210, 710, etc. here in North America. They knew cars with names like 'Sunny' and 'Violet' would never make a sale here.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• stude62
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

Perhaps if Ford Motors had listened a bit more to Marianne Moore, the poet the company hired to think up new names for the all-new car that became the Edsel, that car might have succeeded. Just think: "The 2007 Mongoose Civique. Have You Driven a Ford...Lately?"

Bams50 made a great point. Comparing Studebaker's model names with the sexier names adopted by the competition is interesting. Ramber model names were equally staid...Ambassador...Classic...yawn. They also had the Rebel (better) and the American (good 'ol USA). Brooks Stevens "Sceptre" would have been a wonderful Studebaker name had the company survived. "Studebaker Sceptre" kind of rolls off the tongue. The worst name for an American car currently in production might be Buick Lucerne. Lucerne was a brand of milk marketed by Safeway in the 1970s!

Studedude1961
    --1963 Cruiser
    You don't like "Lucerne"? It's so soft, so pleasant. Its a city in Switzerland!

IMHO the worst automobile names are the ones like the Nissan "Cube" (which is counter to the idea of "wheels"), and the Ford Aspire (what does it aspire to be?) and the Ford Freestyle, which sound so dated, reminding me of parents throwing "teen mixers" for "young adults" and wanting to have "rap sessions" with their children.

But my all time favorite name for a car comes from China in the late 1950s because its so over the top and has absolutly nothing to do with anything but propaganda. It was for a four-door car built for bureaucrats who were lucky enough to get a car - any car - to drive. Its name: "The East Glows"

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

I am impressed. I have never seen that car before (regardless of name). I would like to know more about it.
    For someone who has nearly everything Studebaker-related, that's saying a LOT![:0][^] The exterior was included with some photos of Brooks Stevens concepts and ideas I recently won on Ebay. The back is rubber-stamped with 'Studebaker-Packard Styling Dept. Photo' along with blanks for the date and number which read '10/7/61' and '192-1'. The remainder are G.T. Hawk styling studies and couple of familiar auto show concepts. The interior photo is from Studebaker: The Postwar Years by Richard Langworth on page 129. I put two and two together to determine that interior is from the same car. The caption in the Langworth book only states the Vanity was a 'novel idea' with no mention of it being a prototype/concept. The only other related items I have are these concept drawings that were forwarded to me some time ago; either from Matt or Dylan. (Can't remember who now, so I don't know which one to credit.)

Craig

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by maxpower1954

Quick - what was the first made up name for an American car? Hint: it was 1966...Russ Farris
    Camaro

Leave a comment:

• maxpower1954
    replied
    Quick - what was the first made up name for an American car? Hint: it was 1966...Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    The grille looks alot like one used on the 60 Pontiac. Notice also the wipers are the old style that was last used in 62, replaced in 63. Being Studebaker used Delco radios, the vertical dial could have been a version of the one used on the 63 Corvette. The body side moulding coupled with the lower moulding just above the rocker gives the car a lower, pleasing appearance too. Thanks Craig for great pictures!

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X