• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRUISER!
    61 lark cruiser
    64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

• My favorite Studebaker name: Challenger. For Studebaker, it was too little too late.

My Favorite all-time nameplate: Intrepid. Taken from the USS Intrepid, the current floating museum in NY Harbor that survived more Kamakazi attacks than any other Naval ship, to represent what was at the time the former Chrysler Corporation's best effort to fight the ever increasing footprint of Japanese Imports as the name for their volume car in the large sedan segment.

Toyota Land Cruiser. Dodge Challenger. Do any other Studebaker names live on?

Comment

• And then there are; Econ-O-Miler '58 Taxi, Marshal '58 Police, Zip.

I like Cruiser.

quote:Originally posted by dictator27

Director. It was used on certain model Studes sold in Europe.
        And the Dictator was the Director in Australia.

8E45E - Craig, Mentioned these truck names back on 07/06/07, and I was just hoping that someone might tell us the years that those names were used.

Metro,
        Ace,
        Boss,
        Mogul,
        Chief.

I've got a page on our club website attempting to list names;
        http://studebakercarclubnsw.com/heritage05.html
        and I'd like to make it as complete and accurate as possible.

Steve K
        1963 Lark Cruiser
        SCCNSW, Australia.
        Steve King
        1963 Lark Cruiser
        SCCNSW, Australia.

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by 556063

My favorite Studebaker name: Challenger.
          Toyota Land Cruiser. Dodge Challenger. Do any other Studebaker names live on?
          International continues to use the Transtar name on a series of heavy trucks. Here is a weblink to info and pics of such: http://www.internationaltrucks.com/T...tar/Ownership/
          Since 2006 a Dodge Charger could be had with a Daytona appearance package.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by SlotBaker

Metro,
            Ace,
            Boss,
            Mogul,
            Chief.

Craig

Comment

• Craig, Thank you.
              1936, Got it.
              Very Cool.

Steve K
              1963 Lark Cruiser
              SCCNSW, Australia.
              Steve King
              1963 Lark Cruiser
              SCCNSW, Australia.

Comment

• You're right about the Edsel. Few cars went through as much as that poor thing. That's why in 1988 I bought one for myself. Ford spent a lot of money trying to come up with a name of the "E" car. In fact, the best names were given to each series. Ranger, Pacer, Corsair, Citation, and the wagons: Bermuda, Villager, and the Roundup. However, it wasn't Ford that wanted the name, it was Ernest Breech, who had been calling it that for some time. In fact, when they did public surveys no one even knew who Edsel was? They know now, but for all the wrong reasons. The car might have made it in spite of the name, but there were too many strikes against it: Recession, strikes, which limited steering columns, clocks, and even the mechanism that operated speed o' meters. No Edsel never had a chance, but it was one hell of a car for all the right reasons. Oh yes. I like Land cruiser, but I'm not biased.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by MyStude_Baker
                  The car might have made it in spite of the name, but there were too many strikes against it: Recession, strikes, which limited steering columns, clocks, and even the mechanism that operated speed o' meters. No Edsel never had a chance, but it was one hell of a car for all the right reasons.
                  It has come to light in recent years, it was some within Ford Motor Company who did NOT wish it to succeed, and padded all the numbers to make it look bad; especially when it didn't hit their sales targets in 1958. True, the recession of that year got all the middle priced cars, but it was only temporary. In Canada, Ford sold the Monarch and Meteor and Mercury trucks with unique trim that cost extra, along with the marketing expenses to go with it. And they sold in far less numbers in some years than the Edsel did, yet they were successful enough in Ford's eyes to keep them in production for several years. That is the main reason I tend to believe it was a setup on Ford's part to label the Edsel a failure.

Craig

Comment

• Funnily enough,we successfully grew lucerne on the farm as a food supplement .It had a deep root system and could help prevent rising water tables.It would seem weird driving a Lucerne.
                    I thought Starliner and Starlite ( starlight) were the best names ever.The connotation was into the future with inter planetary travel,huge glass areas to admire the stars as you sped to the moon,plus many people still go on about the beautiful glow of the instrument panel at night.
                    It's funny the small things people recall about cars that have gone by.
                    Transtar was a great name.The star of the transport field.

A.C.Moisley
                    A.C.Moisley

Comment

• "Splendida" is much better for you than sugar!

Comment

Working...
                      X