No announcement yet.

Lowering the 65....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the record, tire/wheel size has nothing to do with front alignment geometry.

Also our Lark aligned perfectly. No problems getting it adjusted to the proper camber.

205/70/15 breaks down as 205 mm wide/ sidewall is 70% of the section width/ 15" wheel.
    http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lowering the caso way

Here's my Wagonaire lowered with 2 coils cut in front and 3 bags of readi mix hiding in the spare tire well. (it was a temporary fix. we put it back to normal when we sold it.)
      Attached Files
      sals54

Comment

And here's the 56 Wagon lowered via "cut n paste".
        Attached Files
        sals54

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
          If I understand tire sizing correctly, the 205 is width, the 75 is height, and the 15 is rim size. So narrower would be ok, but the height would be the one to keep correct. Current tires are 215/75r15.
          I'm no tire expert, but here's what I've learned during my tire research for mine.

The first number is the "section width" and gives you the width of the tire at it's apex, or widest point when installed and inflated. To figure out the width in inches, divide this number by 25.4.

The next number is the aspect ratio, and is the height of the sidewall by percent of the section width.

The letter "R" just means it's a radial tire. (there are other letters that can go here, but why mention something you'll never use?)

And the last set is the rim size.

So a 205/75r15 is a radial tire that at it's widest point is 205mm or 8.07" wide, had a sidewall height that is 75% of that number (6.05"), and fits on a 15" rim. Doing the math, on a 15" rim, this tire would stand at a height of about 27.1" or thereabouts. Of course, the funny thing is that there's a bit of wiggle room in that final height. Some tires with the same designation will be slightly taller or shorter, but would fall close to that range. The 710-15 bias ply tires on my grandpa's Lark measure out to maybe a hair under 28", so this tire would match the original profile (and therefore gearing of your speedometer) reasonably closely.

I'd swear I mentioned this before, but a previous owner lowered my ride ever so slightly and put on 14" tires. The tires on there are 215/75r14's, and with the drop, they do rub a bit close to lock. It's annoying when I'm trying to park in 90 degree oriented parking spaces and you can hear the rubbing, but it's not affecting my driving at any other time. I'm considering going to 205/75's to give me an almost extra half inch of clearance (not to mention that the treads themselves can be much thinner on a 205 than a 215, which may or may not do any good), but I'm thinking that the extra 17.3 or so revs per mile on the tires (which adds up to an extra 53 revs to the driveshaft with the 3.07 differential) might throw off my speedo. (It seems to be calibrated pretty accurately right now, though I'm not sure if that is just dumb luck or if the PO had the speedo gear swapped.)
          Last edited by JimC; 06-25-2012, 10:32 PM.
          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

The thing we all forget, most of the time, is that hardly any springs have settled the same over the years. I have lowered almost everything you can imagine. The ride and drive have almost always been affected some. On my 53 coupe. I cut one coil and 2 inches off the top. How much did it lower it? Well, where was it originally? While I agree, that changing wheel diameter, dosen't change the geometry, it does change the ride. O, one more thing, what's correct on a modified, is what eye candy is all about to YOU.
            Last edited by Flashback; 06-26-2012, 05:02 AM.

Comment

well I got pricing for both the 205-75 and the 215-75 and will be looking at both side by side when I get there to make a decision. Going to PepBoys to have them done. Seems to be the most reasonably priced option. As of right now the clearance between the front lip of the fender and the tire is almost non existent.
              1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Getting the new shoes slapped on in the morning! Stoked. Now fingers are crossed that I can make it home and back in the morning!
                1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Working...
                X