Need Everyones Help!!! 49' Champion with 33,652 origional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nightmare!!

Ok my fear came true. There is rust in the gas tank. And the fuel lines are shot. Is there a reliable way to clean out the gas tank? The gas that was still in the car stank to high heaven!!
    Attached Files

Comment

Update pictures

Sorry I haven't updated the pictures in a while. Here are some I just took. This is the engine back together and also the status of the car's condition. She is slowly coming together. "Peanut" aka Matt conner is coming out this week sometime to lend a hand with our car in hopes of figuring out a few issues so I can hopefully get he back together by the wedding.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm happy to report that AJ86 (Allen) and I were able to successfully remove the rear drums with a proper puller borrowed from my brother (thanks, Steve!).

This is a very sound car, and it is hard to believe it spent most--if not all--of its life in Missouri. Except for a simple repaint some years ago, it looks to be completely original. But it is very presentable as a daily driver once the mechanicals are sorted out.

I hope that those of you with experience with these early postwar Champions will offer any help you can to Allen as he continues through this process (and I know you all will). I have encouraged him to begin new threads with topic-specific questions.

He and his fiancee are very fortunate that her father cared for this little gem so well. Here's a pic of the lucky couple after we completed our mission for the evening!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	078.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1674832
        The funny thing is that as I set to installing the drum puller on the first drum, Allen looks at me and comments that I look like someone he used to know. That person was his grade school band teacher--who just happens to be my oldest brother! That brother (Bruce Connor) will be known to some of you from his past appearances with the International meet Studebaker band (tuba, probably). He also owns an unfinished '54 Conestoga that has travelled to a couple of those meets.
        ~Matt Connor
        '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

In the picture the car looks worse than it really is, it don't have any tires or a hood or seats or brakes. Well it just needs a lot of work yet but it all is very close to being put back together. She does run pretty good too. Thanks for coming out Matt, you were a life saver.

Comment

You guys look like a great couple. If I was closer I would help. The biggest thrill for me is bringing an original one back to life. Best of luck and keep the posts coming.

Comment

Just thought I would give everyone an update, figured I owe everyone who has helped me get to the point I am now. Car is almost back together. New tires, new brakes, engine tuned up, gas tank cleaned out,fuel pump rebuilt, carb rebuilt, seats recovered, getting to try to drive her the first time this week.

Comment

Sounds like things are coming along. And help some of us out here - remember that there are many who are visual learners - can never look at enough pictures of Studebakers.

Now the hardest part is ahead for you - realizing that you eventually have to stop and do other things in your left besides driving around in your Studebaker. Enjoy!

Comment

Here are some up dated pics. I will try to post more tonight. Stand by.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The rear tires and hub caps go on tonight. New seats went in last night. I will get pics of that too. Fuel pump comes in this morning so I an going to try to get her running again tonight as well. We see though. I have a full plate. Lol. I will try to get a lot of pics tonight for everyone.

Comment

• New pics

As promised here are more pics.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• I absolutely love the fourth pic showing the 3/4 view of the car and the clutter surrounding it. To me...that captures what it is all about...labor of love...depicting the average SDC environment. A not so flashy car being nurtured by an average Joe amid signs of a real life to attend to.

That, my friends, would make a Turning Wheels or Calendar picture with which we all could identify.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

• And let's remember: This is all to get the car ready to drive in their wedding, September 8th! (IDYSD) So yes, he has real life to attend to.

Allen, I hope the fiancee has been understanding with all the time you're spending on this project, and you get all the grease out from under your fingernails for the wedding day!
                          KURTRUK
                          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

• Awesome new guys! I took the head off and the manifold and valve covers and found out that it had a stuck cable on #3 fixed that cleaned the tops good and adjusted all the valve we they needed to be. Now she runs smooth but still has that little hesitation we you rev it up. I'm thinking it just needs to be ran good.

Comment

• Way to go. I've been reading your progress, and this is coming along great! Keep up the good work.
                              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

• Valve Pictures of last night

Here is what I found when I opened her up last night and put her back together.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X