Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the archives #92 (1963 Studebaker Lark Daytona pace cars)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the archives #92 (1963 Studebaker Lark Daytona pace cars)

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1333322974

Yep, 1963. Who has them now?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

And here I thought Speed Queen was a washing machine brand, Dick.

You learn something new everyday in Studebaker News. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Super Charged Avanti Powered no less! Appears to have blue interior.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        And here I thought Speed Queen was a washing machine brand.
        For Kwong Ja Lee, I bet Life's Good for her on the back of that Daytona!

If it really is 'Super-charged Avanti Powered' as painted on the sides, where is the missing chrome piece on the front fener??

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

If it really is 'Super-charged Avanti Powered' as painted on the sides, where is the missing chrome piece on the front fener??

Craig
          Too much 'bling' on the car would have distracted from the lovely ladies, so Studebaker kindly removed the Avanti badges.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Craig
            Undoubtedly early production, Craig, before the fender tags were standard issue.

Especially the top photo. Since the Florida State Fair was early February, the car would have been built and shipped before the fender tags were available. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
              I think that it may be pace car, not "pace cars". One clue is that the Mid-America car has a "Tampa" front "plate". Other than the lettering, they appear the same.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Undoubtedly early production, Craig, before the fender tags were standard issue.
                Then James Bell's '63 R-1 Cruiser must have had them retrofitted. His is a VERY early car as it has the shiny-smooth surface by the rocker switches; not ribbed like most of them.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=rose+mist

Craig
                Last edited by 8E45E; 04-02-2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Then James Bell's '63 R-1 Cruiser must have had them retrofitted. His is a VERY early car as t has the shiny-smooth surface by the rocker switches; not ribbed like most of them. Craig
                  Right, Craig, and undoubtedly so. Remember, Studebaker would furnish fender tags free to earlier buyers of 1963 R-powered Larks and Hawks for dealer installation. No charge, so many people took them up on it.

Ted Harbit's famous Stude Tomato, another example, was produced and shipped four months before fender tags were available, much less factory installed. But, of course, the car has had them as long as Ted has owned it, and the car's history, known to George Krem and Denny Lockmon who were involved with it earlier, points further back than that. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Looks like two different cars to me, different upholstery colors.
                    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Right, Craig, and undoubtedly so. Remember, Studebaker would furnish fender tags free to earlier buyers of 1963 R-powered Larks and Hawks for dealer installation. No charge, so many people took them up on it.

Ted Harbit's famous Stude Tomato, another example, was produced and shipped four months before fender tags were available, much less factory installed. But, of course, the car has had them as long as Ted has owned it, and the car's history, known to George Krem and Denny Lockmon who were involved with it earlier, points further back than that. BP
                      True, Bob. My old Skytop was serial no. 63V-5224, and I have color photos from Labor Day weekend 1964 that show the fender tags on the car. It was built 9/28/62.
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                      X