Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transport 1964 Daytona convert from Gold Beach, Oregon to Milaca, Minnesota-The Daytona has landed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transport 1964 Daytona convert from Gold Beach, Oregon to Milaca, Minnesota-The Daytona has landed!

I bought a driveable Daytona convert from a SDC member and need it shipped from the west coast of Oregon to the center of Minnesota.
    The convertible top is ragged and might shred apart unless it is covered with a heavy tarp or hauled in an enclosed trailer. I contacted Peg Trucking and she quoted me $1800-2000 for enclosed transport. Peg informed me that the location is at least 350 miles from any main shipping lane which increased the cost. Furthermore, I learned today that I need to remove this car within the next few weeks due to the loss of storage, and I wouldnt have time to haul it myself until summer or later.
    I will likely need to pay the $2000 but would certainly like to transport it for less. Anybody have any ideas or recommendations for transporting this car for less money?

Thank you much,
    Brent
    Last edited by Milaca; 06-11-2012, 07:02 PM.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Brent I know the car well as I was one of the past owners, I sold it to this owner and delivered it to him at that time, it had rust out in the fenders but not sure of the frame, it did run nice but it was originally from New York I was told when I got it, I might be able to go get it but it is a full days drive from me here in the bay area, also might even think about a quick trip east, we can talk if you want to....Bob
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Hows the weather along the way? We have snow levels down to 3000 feet but our main highways are clear. From Oregon, there would be less. This time of year can be a sweet drive to warmer temps, and can also be white knuckle h;llish driving.

I have done the trip to South Bend, a few times, about 2600 miles, 3-4 day trip.

I'd suggest having it driven out that way. Check the weather and drive it or have someone already out here drive it. wink.

Comment

I wasnt aware of it being from New York, Bob, now I am a bit concerned. As for driving it, it needs brake repair otherwise I would gladly hire Mike to drive it.
        I contact you later Bob, I have to meet someone about a Ford pickup with a plow up near Duluth soon. Take care, Brent
        sigpic

Comment

Brent- I've bought a few convertibles with bad tops in the past. I have the seller wrap the top with a CANVAS tarp, tied inside, and send it open transport. Just be ready to pull the seats and carpet as soon as it arrives. There won't be that much water inside if you do that.

Don't bother with tapes, or the plastic tarps. Wrap the ends in, go around with nylon rope, close the doors, and go. It's worked great for me.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I live about 2 hours from Gold Beach, but I personally don't have any kind of transport. Try Orestudeguy. He knows a lot of people out here. I don't know what Peg trucking is talking about. Gold Beach is an hour and a half to I-5 (well, maybe two hours).
            Last edited by showbizkid; 04-01-2012, 09:17 PM.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              I live about 2 hours from Gold Beach, but I personally don't have any kind of transport. Try Orestudeguy. He knows a lot of people out here. I don't know what Peg trucking is talking about. Gold Beach is an hour and a half to I-5 (well, maybe two hours).
              Scott,
              Peg is probably talking about a main east/west shipping lane since Milaca is trying to ship from Oregon to Minnesota. I-80 or I-90 would be the main routes for shipping from Oregon going east. I-5 runs north/south so it doesn't come into play for this transport, so maybe she does know what she's talking about?
              Last edited by showbizkid; 04-03-2012, 03:17 PM.
              \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
              \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Congratulations on the new purchase Brent.
                I'm sure it will work out well.
                pb

Comment

I think " BS " means Best Suggestion . ?

Comment

Brent: I just had a car shipped from Eastern PA to Phoenix AZ, enclosed. We initially contacted PEG Trucking but was contacted by one of their 'dealers', Door to Door Transport. I have to tell you, this was perhaps the nicest transaction I have had in a long time. Tony was my contact at their office. He handled every detail of the shipment from start to delivery. I AM ONE HAPPY DUDE! I am sure he would be glad to give you a no obligation quote. His tele number is 954-320-7105. I think they are based in Texas but their drivers are all over the place. You can go into Door to Door Transport and look at their feedback. I was impressed. stupak

Comment

Here is the car when I owned it in 2004 at a small all car car show, 2 guesses on who the kid is with me ? he now stands about 6'.

The car behind it was the bell of the ball, my brand new 2005 Dodge Hemi Magnum, show was June 2004 and this was out as a 2005 first one sold in this area, most people at the show had never even seen one at that time , people even wanted to sit in it, best advertising for Dodge then.

Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

I would just be cautious about ANY transport company. I'm not saying they are all bad, but when I was looking into transporting a car I opted to fly to the location and rent a truck and trailer based on the horror stories I read.

First, most car transports are simply "brokers." They own no trucks and likely work out of their home. They just contract with a shipper. They will offer a price, but it is based on a shipper being willing to move the item - at that price. Typically you are obligated by contract for 30 day. So, your car can sit, and sit, and sit if no one is willing to move it at the price the broker is offering.

They will charge extra for "inaccessible areas," which the don't confirm until they are there. They charge something like $150 extra if the car doesn't start - per event. This can really add up because a car may be on/off a number of different trucks until it reaches your destination. This is because some companies (or brokers) contract multiple shippers to take your car to various locations to their logistical advantage. I've also heard of cars getting half the distance and then sitting in a storage yard because no shipper will take the rest of the journey. Then the storage yard charges you because it's your car sitting there. I've heard of fees going so high it wasn't worth the cost to get the car released.

Now, I have never personally experienced this, but in my search for a shipper there were enough horror stories that I did opt to get the car myself. The pain was lessened because the seller worked for Southwest and gave me a free "Buddy Pass" for the flight. Most purchases typically don't have a pleasant surprise though.

So, if you do ship choose a reputable shipper who will guarantee the price. Otherwise, in the end it may be better (and cheaper) to just store the car in Oregon for a few months and then go get it yourself.

Tom (Almost been there, almost done that)
                        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I will be picking up Brent's new ride some time this month, small world Brent lives in Minnesota and I am from Minnesota but live in California and I owned this same car until 04 when I sold it to Don the fellow Brent bought it from, some how we will get it back to Brent so he can enjoy driving it around in the winter and in the snow Ha, Ha, I think the heater worked.....good show Brent 64 Converts are the best looking, my opinion any ways.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

I'm from Minnesota and sold Milaca my GT Hawk before I moved to Medford, OR in 2010. Now he's looking at a car out here! Yep, small world.
                            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Thank you to forum members Bob Peterson (candbstudebakers) and Mike Gahlbeck (S) for the offers to haul my car, much appreciated. In the end, I decided to have Bob Peterson haul the car to his home and from there....I'll figure that out later. I can hire Peg Trucking to bring it home for me from there or maybe I can convince Bob that he should bring a load of parts to the May swap meet in South Bend and drop the car off along the way somewhere. This may be crazy wishful thinking, but maybe I could fly-in and drive the car home? I'll keep you posted.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X