Almost Fell Off The Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost Fell Off The Wagon

Took a nicely restored '55 Thunderbird, for sale locally, for a test drive this past weekend. I'm not
    particularly tall (about 6'), but had a tough time getting My legs under that big, flat steering
    wheel. Might have been the Studebaker Gods interceding. Passed on the car. Still, Wife wants
    a convertible. Sure wish Studebaker built a '55 President Speedster Convertible!!

There's a red 55 Pres convertible I think, (might be a "roadster", don't remember) running around the PNW, I've seen it at car shows in southern WA & northern OR. Not sure what he did to the frame to keep it from dragging in the middle though....

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      had a tough time getting My legs under that big, flat steering
      wheel.
      Funny. I think that was the main thing that turned me off of my Avanti, and why I sold it. There were other aspects, but having to force my right leg under the wheel every time I got in and out got old fast
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

At 5'5" i've never had that problem. but i have other problems.
        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

The '55 T-Birds didn't have vent doors, like Studebaker, in the front fenders, but the '56s did!

Dave Bonn
          '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

I'd have to agree, the '55 Thunderbird is right behind the '53 Stude and '57 Corvette as the best looking US car of that era. Those two-seat T-birds I've looked at closely were way, way better built than the Studes. All the body seams were leaded smooth at the cowl and rocker panels. Couple that with the lift-off hard top and convertible top and it's hard to not want one.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Yeah, I'm not a large guy but I've experienced the same thing in vintage T-Birds. Even in my '67 LeMans, the wheel is large enough to require some judicious lateral movement when entering the car

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I like the looks of first series T-birds, but always feel claustrophobic in them. It may be the A-pillar location. I don't have the same feeling in other small cars, including a same vintage M-B 300SL roadster (gullwing).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Plenty of room in my Chrysler T&C. Only prob--when my feet can reach the pedals, the lower part of the steering wheel wears a groove in my T-shirt.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
                    Plenty of room in my Chrysler T&C. Only prob--when my feet can reach the pedals, the lower part of the steering wheel wears a groove in my T-shirt.

John
                    Now that's funny.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                    X