Lark tangles with Olds, turns turtle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
    This might be one of those "Well what did the factory put on this vehicle and why" kind of things. While the Studebaker nameplate on the fender says 1959, the rounded tail light lenses and hubcaps say 1960...
    Now that we finally see the front in the latest photo, it is definitely a 1960.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      Now that we finally see the front in the latest photo, it is definitely a 1960.
      Because the vehicle in the black and white photo bears a '60 taillight AND hubcaps on the near side, I believe it is probably a '60 model. But the front fender trim (with "Studebaker" script at the rear edge) tells me that a '59 fender was likely used for a previous repair. Perhaps this Lark (and maybe even this same driver) had been involved in a previous -- though less serious -- fender-bender???

I just saw the "latest photo" you referred to, but in a different thread. It confirms that this is a '60 as you stated, and supports my fender replacement theory!
      Last edited by Peanut; 07-14-2012, 08:16 AM. Reason: Saw answer to my question in other thread.
      ~Matt Connor
      '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
        I just saw the "latest photo" you referred to, but in a different thread. It confirms that this is a '60 as you stated, and supports my fender replacement theory!
        I tend to think it being a 'fleet' model, they did the same as was done in 1964 with the Y-3's where they had a 'Studebaker' script on the front fenders as well.

Craig

Comment

Good point!
          ~Matt Connor
          '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Guess the second photo confirms the car is a 1960 model.

Comment

hmmm, snow on the ground and bald tires.....

Comment

A head on and rolled over. Hope nobody was on the passenger side, that had to hurt. Ouch.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

The 9 on the door says Race Car.............. Early Bill Elliott
                  Jack White
                  Charlotte,NC
                  North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

I thought it was a 6 on the door...

Comment

The guy with the hat is obscuring the name on the side of the wrecker boom. Filling in the blanks, it could be "Hamilton Wrecker Co.". A business still in business just south of the Studebaker Main site on Lafayette St. in South Bend, and in business back then too at the same location.

Makes you wonder. The scenery looks so South Bend too.

Comment

I thought it might say Kansas Motor Co. because the Olds license plate could be Kansas. It appears to have two letters, one over the other, on the left side of the plate.
                        Now if I just had one of those computers the TV police have, we could read it and the street sign too!
                        So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

The photo was taken in 1961 in SE Kansas.
                          Richard Quinn
                          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I grew up in South Jersey and Bell Telephone Co. Had a whole fleet of this vintage Lark painted that Ma Bell green. Passed by their lot on Holly Ave in Pitman everyday on my way to school. Wanted my Dad to buy a Avanti in 1963, but we came home with a Lark Daytona Wagonaire, loved that Lark!
                            Last edited by 57pack; 07-22-2012, 06:44 AM.
                            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                            X