No announcement yet.

Congrats to Dick Quinn & '39 Coupe-Express

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well-deserved and congratulations, Mr. Quinn!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

A little off topic, but I wonder why Studebaker didn't go ahead and use the regular sedan rear windows on the back of these cabs. Weren't the glass panels, themselves flat?

Anyway, nice job, and well-deserved recognition!
      ~Matt Connor
      '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
        A little off topic, but I wonder why Studebaker didn't go ahead and use the regular sedan rear windows on the back of these cabs. Weren't the glass panels, themselves flat?

Anyway, nice job, and well-deserved recognition!
        Matt; If you saw the rear glass on the sedan you would understand. Much too large and really out of proportion for the Coupe Express. Of course the sedans and coupes had rear sloping back glass whereas the CE was vertical, just wouldn't work. I believe the glass they used was appropriate insofar as aesthetics but woefully lacking insofar as visibility is concerned. You might be interested to learn that the original CE did not come with an interior rear view mirror as standard equipment.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I once saw a '39 CE modified with a '49 2R rear glass. It looks great, and a lot better than the Ace Hardware rear window that the trucks came with.

I have to say. I think I'll always be a sucker for the '36-41 Studebaker non-Champions.
          Last edited by mbstude; 03-21-2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the response Dave Warren, I guess you are right, 1st showing a "Junior" then a "Senior" had seen this mentioned in Hemmings, didn't know what it meant - must be an American thing.
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
            X