'54 Regal Sedan Headliner Colors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '54 Regal Sedan Headliner Colors?

Does anyone have a '54 Champion Regal or Commander Regal 4-door sedan with an original headliner? I'm trying to find out whether the Regal sedan headliners were color keyed to the interior, or were they all the same color? Also, they were cloth headliners, right?

I have a '54 Salesmans Facts book, but it's hard to tell what the headliner color is in the interior drawings........and I know some of this type information can't be trusted for 100% accuracy.

The headliner in my '54 Champion Regal sedan (blue interior) was removed before I got it, and I'm trying to choose a color for the new one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Anyone here can correct me but, I believe through 1952 was taupe broadcloth and 1953 and later was gray broadcloth until the vinyl headliners were introduced.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Not a 54,but my all origional 1st series 55 champion sedan blue int. with blue head liner in it.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Forgot to mention,it's a cloth headliner and looks kinda color keyed to the dash and upper door frame color.
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks for the input Joe. Sounds like your '55 has basically what I had considered using in my '54, a medium blue cloth headliner: Click image for larger version

Name:	Headliner Medium Blue.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	1672235

Hopefully there is at least one '54 Regal sedan owner on the Forum, and we will hear from them.
          Last edited by r1lark; 03-19-2012, 06:21 AM. Reason: spellin
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Prior to 1955 there were no "color keyed" interiors. Most sedans had Gray or Tan cloth headliners. '53-'54 Hardtops and possibly Coupes also, depending on trim level had Vinyl.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yup that's what I have Paul,only it's a bit dis-colored as the origional owner was a HEAVY smoker back in the day.
              Originally posted by r1lark View Post
              Thanks for the input Joe. Sounds like your '55 has basically what I had considered using in my '54, a medium blue cloth headliner: [ATTACH]14407[/ATTACH]

Hopefully there is at least one '54 Regal sedan owner on the Forum, and we will hear from them.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Prior to 1955 there were no "color keyed" interiors. Most sedans had Gray or Tan cloth headliners. '53-'54 Hardtops and possibly Coupes also, depending on trim level had Vinyl.
                Thanks Rich for the info. Maybe that is why when I bought the car, it came with an uninstalled tan cloth headliner. To be honest, I could not believe that the PO was going to put that in a car with a BLUE interior! I'm still not sure I want to put it in a car with a blue interior. Maybe it would look better once it's in, but I'm afraid to do all that work and find out that it looks like.......well, that I don't like it.

Still hoping someone will post some pics of a '54 Regal sedan with an original headliner. Anyone?
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Hey Paul. It is early, and I am old, but...I think we have a new forum member who recently posted about a '54 original Land Cruiser. I saw yesterday that the thread had three pictures posted of a two-tone white over orange (red) paint. It was one of the best looking I have seen. If it is original...perhaps you could get him to post pics of the headliner. At least...you two should talk.

As to colors, it won't be the first time cars were built with very little color coordination. I think that is what happens when a bunch of men do most of the design work. My wife would have never approved the green tinted stripes in the 1951 Land Cruiser's original upholstery in a car painted Maui blue.

Here is the thread
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...er-brake-parts
                  Last edited by jclary; 03-20-2012, 06:36 AM. Reason: Added link
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I agree Paul, although I like things MOSTLY original, when Stude. made bad decisions like that, I would not hesitate to make it look the best I could, that would include a BLUE headliner!

I never could understand why they did not put a 299 cid V-8 with 13.0 to 1 compression Jahns Pistons, a high lift cam, big Intake Valves, R3 Headers, an AFB and a TT with 4.56 Gears and T-85 Overdrive in my '54 Champion 169 cid Starliner Hardtop.

Maybe they just wanted to give me something to do! <GG>
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-20-2012, 03:33 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Paul, I sent you a pm.
                      Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                      Thanks Rich for the info. Maybe that is why when I bought the car, it came with an uninstalled tan cloth headliner. To be honest, I could not believe that the PO was going to put that in a car with a BLUE interior! I'm still not sure I want to put it in a car with a blue interior. Maybe it would look better once it's in, but I'm afraid to do all that work and find out that it looks like.......well, that I don't like it.

Still hoping someone will post some pics of a '54 Regal sedan with an original headliner. Anyone?
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Paul, your pms are full up.
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Joe, I cleaned out my inbox. Thanks for letting me know...................
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

I'm gonna bump this up to the top one more time..............
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Working...
                            X