No announcement yet.

Landcruiser brake parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats a great looking car. I read the thread but didn't look again until I saw Bob's post that pictures were included. I have a 54 Commander coupe I sure do like mine.
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

I took hill holder off with intentions of a "rebuild". Mine still worked, but was sticky. I had a great deal of difficulty gettin the end cap off. When I saw replacement seals were copper, I looked closely at the original rubber seal and it is still soft. And after trying for 30 minutes to remove cam screw, I elected to flush it out thoroughly and reinstall it. Works perfectly. Al this to say, if it isn't frozen and rusty in side, clean, flush and reinstall.
      Kim

Comment

So, how about it, Keitholdcar? Re-name your thread (or start a new one with the "newbie" and "pictures" qualifiers), and you'll find a bunch of interested people. Your LC is gorgeous! Welcome to Studebakering!
        ~Matt Connor
        '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Well,Thanks to everybody first.I've actually had quite a few Studebakers over the years.My grandfather sold Model A Fords for a bit when they were new,and somehow wound up selling Studebakers later on.He loved the Studebakers,but didn't care much for the V 8 cars.He was one of the believers that the pistons wore out fast from laying on their sides.He also liked the Rambler Americans and later on,Ford Falcons.Those cars were all the country needed according to him.My favorite Studebaker was the 54 coupe,I had one set up like my Landcruiser years ago.V 8,standard,overdrive,but that one had power steering.The coupe has to have those little quarter windows to look right to me.I had a couple of Hawks,but never kept them because I like the early ones with the fins and rounded roof.One was a real rusty supercharged car but it was complete with nice stainless,chrome,interior and running gear.I sold that through Hemmings about 1979 as a donor car to a restorer in the Chicago area.I had a little V 8 car,Lark maybe? the seller said it had an overdrive but it turned out to have a Columbia 2 speed rear end.I don't know if it was factory or later installed,but the car was way,way too fast. I have worked on the hill holders before.I never had much trouble with them,mostly make sure the ball is clean with no gobs of rust on it,and the cage is clean with no burrs either.I don't think the problem with copper gaskets is peculiar to the Studebaker.I work on equipment,and as I'm getting older,I'm taking on old car work.I've been finding a LOT of problems with copper brake washers.I did a 37 Plymouth last summer and wound up washing and using the old washers I took off the old wheel and master cylinders.Same thing with a 42 Jeep and a 54 Dodge truck.The washers are not the same thickness all the way around.I will find out shortly though,I will be digging into mine as soon as all my parts are in one pile.I try not to tie the lift up with toy cars.

Comment

I'll be honest, I skipped right over your thread because I didn't have any LC Parts. But, I am glad that Bob pointed it out, just so I could see your car! That is one beautiful LC.

Is there a common size copper brake washer that is in these units? We have copper washers cut all the time for customers, so I could have these cut and ready to go for those out there who need them.
            1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by keitholdcar View Post
              >>>I have worked on the hill holders before.I never had much trouble with them,mostly make sure the ball is clean with no gobs of rust on it,and the cage is clean with no burrs either.I don't think the problem with copper gaskets is peculiar to the Studebaker.I work on equipment,and as I'm getting older,I'm taking on old car work.I've been finding a LOT of problems with copper brake washers.I did a 37 Plymouth last summer and wound up washing and using the old washers I took off the old wheel and master cylinders.Same thing with a 42 Jeep and a 54 Dodge truck.The washers are not the same thickness all the way around.I will find out shortly though,I will be digging into mine as soon as all my parts are in one pile.I try not to tie the lift up with toy cars.
              Well, if you do change your mind about a Hill-Holder (NoRol) "rebuild kit" I've got an extra new kit still in the sealed bag I paid $96.30 for, but would be willing to offer it to you ...for less than 1/3 that ($32.) and would through in FREE shipping to Epping, NH!!! IF ...interested email me within the next 24 hours at our address in the signature block below and please put "Hill-Holder" in the subject box.

Comment

I ordered a front half for a 55 2 dr sedan and it was a bit too long, I wondered if it got re-bagged and meant for another car??? This was not the first problem I have heard with those repro cables.

Any guess as to how long your old one is, or how long you think it should be? I could measure this one.

Comment

I already found Keith a cable. Book says all 15G & 5H cars (with LHC) use the same 63&11/32nds inch cable.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I would have been interested in the NoRol kit for that,I ordered the seal kit on Monday though.That $90.kit has the cage and ball,if I remember right.Nice to have,but I think I still have a cage and ball from the last one I did for somebody.

Comment

Originally posted by keitholdcar View Post
                      I would have been interested in the NoRol kit for that,I ordered the seal kit on Monday though.That $90.kit has the cage and ball,if I remember right.Nice to have,but I think I still have a cage and ball from the last one I did for somebody.
                      Keith, sorry I was a little late for you with my offer.

[see post # 21 ...IF ...anyone else wants the same offer as I gave Keith (less the free shipping of course) email me at the address in my signature block ...or look for it at the Michiana Chapter's May Swap Meet, May 3, 4, & 5th!!!]
                      Last edited by Welcome; 03-21-2012, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X