63 Wagonaire 4...slow progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Wagonaire 4...slow progress

I've been out of town for a couple of weeks and progress on the Wagonaire has been slow.

While in California, I did stop by Pat Drnec's place and picked up some parts. I gave Pat little notice that the carrier would be picking up the car when I bought it so some Wagonaire parts remained behind. Besides the parts, Pat bought lunch .

One of the items were these OEM seat back upper portions with the Lark emblem...

Pretty nifty and an incentive to do a stock interior.

I also stopped by Bob Peterson's place for a visit with Bob and was able to knock several items off my shopping list. Thanks, Bob!

I was at Mike Galbeck's (Studebakers Northwest) yesterday for some more parts including wheel cylinder kits and seals. Thanks Mike.

I am in the process of rebuilding the rear brakes and servicing the rear wheel bearings.

I did throw a bumper on the back to get it off the shop floor (although I didn't get it very straight). It's a front, but looks pretty good on the back. I like how the Lark bumpers are in tight to the body. If this car was going to be a hot rod, I think I'd use a front bumper on the rear to eliminate the little guards and license lights...and use these...

License Mounting Bolts / Lights

I used them on my black '54 Starliner to eliminate the rear guard...

Anyway, here's the rear...

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Cool, Dick! I love those seat covers. I suppose those are not repro'd, right?

I've never been a fan of white for cars, but that wagon sure looks good.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I love Wagonaires and miss the one that I had last (late 65 Daytona) . I drool everytime I see pictures of yours.

Mark

Comment

BEZ828 huh? Where is that BEZHawk guy?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
          Cool, Dick! I love those seat covers. I suppose those are not repro'd, right?
          I assume they are NOS since it would cost quite a bundle to set up to make those lark emblems, heat sealed pleats, and then only for bench seat cars. The rest of the seat coverings are fairly generic. There is some white heat sealed pleats, but those will have to be sewn if I go stock. Door panels are fair, but I'd like to find some better ones. I think fronts are the same as 4 door Larks, but I think the rears are wagon only since the arm rest is in a different place.

I was living in Tacoma, Washington in 1963. When those "WASH" plates came out there was quite the uproar. It seems like there was plenty of room to spell out WASHINGTON and abbreviated that way made some Washingtonians a little miffed.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Those came out of the stash of NOS interiors upstairs at Sasco 6 or 7 years ago - I dug through stuff for hours and came up with those two pieces.

Comment

I have taken all of the guards, including those with the license plate lights, off of the Cruiser's bumpers. I am going to use the lighted bolts like you have shown here. I have not put all of that together yet, but I suspect it will work out fine.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Rear door panels

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                I assume they are NOS since it would cost quite a bundle to set up to make those lark emblems, heat sealed pleats, and then only for bench seat cars. The rest of the seat coverings are fairly generic. There is some white heat sealed pleats, but those will have to be sewn if I go stock. Door panels are fair, but I'd like to find some better ones. I think fronts are the same as 4 door Larks, but I think the rears are wagon only since the arm rest is in a different place.

I was living in Tacoma, Washington in 1963. When those "WASH" plates came out there was quite the uproar. It seems like there was plenty of room to spell out WASHINGTON and abbreviated that way made some Washingtonians a little miffed.
                The NOS rear door panels I got with my Wagonaire had 2 sets of holes cut in the board, but none cut thru the vinyl, so I think they are the same.
                Bish
                sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
                1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                1963 8E28 GSA order
                1963 8E5 SOLD!
                1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Dick
                  The upper holes were used on a wagon rear door panel as the seats were raised. There were special pieces screwed into the original holes for the arm rests to be relocated.
                  Rob in PA.

Comment

Rob and Bish,

Thanks. I'm still a little unclear.

1. If I find some NOS panels (unlikely) it sounds like 4 door and Wagon panels were the same...the armrests just mounted in a different spot and the holes in the backing board are there for both. True?

2. If I find some good, used, 4 door panels will they not be useable since holes have already been punched in the vinyl for the 4 door armrests?

3. Rob, the "special pieces"...are they screwed into the holes in the doors or into the holes in the door panel?

EDIT...

OK, I looked closely at what I have and now I understand.

The door panel backing does have two sets of armrest holes. The 4 doors used the lower set and the wagons used the upper set.

The "special pieces" screw to the wagon doors to provide another set of arm rest anchors to line up with the UPPER set of holes in the door panels.

Therefore...4 door and wagon doors are the same and the door panels are the same. If I do find some nice used 4 door panels, it follows that I can install them on the wagon and just use the lower armrest position. This may not be super comfortable for back seat passengers, but I don't see that as a big deal.

Thanks again Rob and Bish.
                    Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 03-18-2012, 02:01 PM.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

hi, if you do find the door panels please let me know as I have been looking for them for a while now. I have a 64 daytona sliding roof and it is missing the drivers side door panel. thanks for your time, cathy

Comment

I have a set of NOS interior door panels, but they are red. And I was saving them for my Wagonaire.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

"Those came out of the stash of NOS interiors upstairs at Sasco 6 or 7 years ago - I dug through stuff for hours and came up with those two pieces."

I resemble that remark.
                          I dug thru those pallets, piles, and boxes at 2 separate swaps. Turns out that they had put out different bunchs each time.
                          What a job!
                          Between the 2, I came up with a complete '64 Cruiser tan vinyl bench interior, and then a rear seat back to replace the one that I had used out of a complete recliner interior bought from N & A.
                          Those days and prices are long gone!

Comment

Dick,

I confess I just haven't taken the time to get those NOS door panels out of the loft. I don't do much of anything in timely fashion anymore. I am making progress on the Chicken Coupe tho.
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Dick, for some reason, I was thinking that the Lark center emblem was only on the rear seat cushion, not the front....but then, I had a two-door '63 Daytona!

When I get home, I'll have to look in the brochure and showroom album I have. I could certainly be wrong.

Regardless, those new pieces look real nice.
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X