Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive Studebaker building 84 to be renovated

This is the South Bend WNDU TV station website this morning:

City of South Bend will play $2.2 million role in phase one.
    The owner of Union Station wants to expand his data center business and he's looking to the massive building next door that once served as a Studebaker assembly plant.

Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Excellent.

Who'da thought Building 84 would ever be reused for something so useful?

Good news; hope it comes to pass. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Excellent.

Whatever happened to the plans to revive the Administration Building?
      Jim
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Excellent.

They'd have to have at least one Stude in the lobby on display as a recognition of the building's past. Or maybe rotating loan cars.
        Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

This was covered in another recent thread. Don't hold your breath, It'll NEVER be done. Just look at the rosie prophecies for the Admin Building several years ago. THAT won't happen either. Not a downer, just a realist! Just another skankie developer trying to take the taxpayers for money, with no results. stupak
          Last edited by stupak; 03-16-2012, 04:05 AM.

Comment

The torch has been passed. It's encouraging that much of the new space seems to be spoken for. If that's the case, it looks like a feasible plan. I wish them luck and good fortune in their venture. At least an old Studebaker plant will be put to good use.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
              Whatever happened to the plans to revive the Administration Building?
              Jim
              A: The current multi-year never ending recession.

The developer proposing the Building 84 project bought Union Station in the late 70's and is a Notre Dame Grad, and was also born and raised in South Bend. He has a 30+ year track record of success doing what he proposes to do just across the tracks this time. Wouldn't surprise me if eventually he ends up with the Ad Building.

Now, if South Bend Government doesn't do something to screw it up.........

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post

The developer proposing the Building 84 project bought Union Station in the late 70's and is a Notre Dame Grad, and was also born and raised in South Bend. He has a 30+ year track record of success doing what he proposes to do just across the tracks this time. Wouldn't surprise me if eventually he ends up with the Ad Building.

Now, if South Bend Government doesn't do something to screw it up.........
                That's a pretty big IF, Kevin...after all, they're still subsidizing The College Football Hall of Fame so a couple hundred Notre Dame fans have somewhere to go four or five Saturdays every fall when they're in town for a home game. <GGG> BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, my comments above are probably close to the border of prohibition here, but after more than a decade of trying to translate how things are done in South Bend to an out of town employer/investor with a facility and investment in South Bend, it's just simply a fact of life. There's an illogical logic to the business atmosphere in town that is undecipherable to most. My employer pulled out after all commitments were met.

While Fort Wayne and Indy have held their own, South Bend proper still suffers (to the delight of surrounding small communities who take full advantage of the prime location between Chicago/Toledo/Detroit!). It's no mystery to me why South Bend refuses to grow or get past Studebaker. A pity, really, but old habits die hard.

I just heard today A.J. Wright paid in cash their last installment of a penalty to South Bend for the decision to not do business in South Bend after a mistaken decision to try to do business in South Bend. They've paid a total of $3 million to the city to leave the city. Imagine if the City fathers would try everything they could to make sure that kind of money was used to build, instead of dismantle. Time marches on.

Comment

Bob, my comments above are probably close to the border of prohibition here, but after more than a decade of trying to translate how things are done in South Bend to an out of town employer/investor with a facility and investment in South Bend, it's just simply a fact of life. There's an illogical logic to the business atmosphere in town that is undecipherable to most. My employer pulled out after all commitments were met.

While Fort Wayne and Indy have held their own, South Bend proper still suffers (to the delight of surrounding small communities who take full advantage of the prime location between Chicago/Toledo/Detroit!). It's no mystery to me why South Bend refuses to grow or get past Studebaker. A pity, really, but old habits die hard.

I just heard today A.J. Wright paid in cash their last installment of a penalty to South Bend for the decision to not do business in South Bend after a mistaken decision to try to do business in South Bend. They've paid a total of $3 million to the city to leave the city. Imagine if the City fathers would try everything they could to make sure that kind of money was used to build, instead of dismantle. Time marches on.
                    I wish I could disagree with you, Kevin, but let's just say the evidence weighs heavily in support of your observations. (There, is that delicate enough?) <GGG> BP

Comment

The developer proposing the Building 84 project bought Union Station in the late 70's and is a Notre Dame Grad, and was also born and raised in South Bend. He has a 30+ year track record of success doing what he proposes to do just across the tracks this time. Wouldn't surprise me if eventually he ends up with the Ad Building. Now, if South Bend Government doesn't do something to screw it up.........
                      Today's SBT had this article. I assume it is the same building. See link... http://www.southbendtribune.com/news...,1299015.story
                      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
                        Today's SBT had this article. I assume it is the same building. See link... http://www.southbendtribune.com/news...,1299015.story
                        Yes, that's the same story and building. And the picture is an interesting shot. It was taken looking to the South. The light brown rounded edge roof building this side of the tracks is Union Station. The Body Plant is the massive structure behind it. Gives you a really good idea of how much space Mr. Smith will gain!

You can also see the scoreboard for Coveleski Stadium directly North of Union Station.

Comment

It is nice to see some news out of South Bend that does not involve a shooting or arson!
                          sigpic

Mike Barany

Comment

I've been waiting for this kind of news for years. Cool!!!!
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                            X