Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packard Graveyard to possibly be scrapped!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Graveyard to possibly be scrapped!

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/ma...-middle-lawre/

Dont know if anyone here knows of this already or knows where this is personally. It would be a shame to see all those Packards sent to scrap!
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

The place was known as University Motors.

The owners died years ago and the family is squabbling over what to do with the place and the Packards. The home has been designated as historical architecture so they can't tear it down but they can't figure out what to do about the "junkyard." The property has a high wood fence around those portions of the lot that aren't structures and within that enclosure, which is directly across from the police station in Lawrence, KS, is 15 Packards.

The city isn't going to move to take action until May but they're publicizing the fact that they intend to do something in order to try and get the family off their thumbs.

The folks over at PackardInfo.com have known about this lot since 2007 - at least that's one of the times they discussed this place over there - and apparently haven't figured out what to do with the place over the past five years.

Satallite photo of the lot:

Shot taken over the fence:
    Last edited by hausdok; 03-13-2012, 09:04 PM.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Frustrating to hear that the city is going to "move to take action". Why?? It's nobody's business what people do with their private property unless it's doing actual harm to others. Obviously this isn't harming anyone.

Obviously, the city will eventually haul away the cars for scrap, while ramshackle, unusable buildings nobody wants will be saved and continue to rot.

It's hard to be a car lover these days...
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

A little Spanish lingo, here: Crappola. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I lived near there for years, and I know that when the brothers were alive several people tried to rescue cars over the years to no avail--they weren't interested in selling. After decades of rotting with frames sitting on the dirt, I doubt there's much left to those cars, other than perhaps a few spare parts.

I'm surprised that the city has been this courteous waiting this long to take action. I know that if I lived near there I'd be plenty pissed off that it hadn't been cleaned up yet as the neighborhood has to fight off the rodentia. This isn't the first time this issue has come to light.

I'm pretty sure the house will either be restored or razed. It is in a historic district, but in Lawrence that simply means that you have to have approval of a board to make major modifications to the appearance. If it is too far gone to be saved, then they'll let it go.

The best hope for those cars is that the action taken by the city will force the surviving family members to have a public auction. There are enough Packard fans in the area (Lawrence is only 30 minutes west of Kansas City) that I'm sure someone will grab the few parts that are worth salvaging. The pictures really do the cars more justice than real life.
          Dave Nevin
          Corvallis, OR
          1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

This is in Lawrence, Kansas???
            I have never heard of it before - and Lawrence is only about 30 miles from me -

I will try to keep tabs on this...

Drew

Comment

Originally posted by drew72mgb View Post
              This is in Lawrence, Kansas???
              I have never heard of it before - and Lawrence is only about 30 miles from me -

I will try to keep tabs on this...

Drew
              Yes, Drew.Please let us know if there are to be any auctions, offerings, etc. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have to wonder if the brothers maintained a cache of NOS parts thru the years.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My question would be why this has been allowed to stand in deterioration all thes years...generally speaking, I would not think zoning regs would allow it, especially in a historic district...I know that in my area, a collection of unlicensed vehicles constitutes a salvage yard, which certainly would be in violation of zoning laws...also, I can't understand the structures being allowed to become health & safety hazards...sounds like a long, ongoing case of non-enforcement..........Marie

Comment

Looks pretty well hidden. Out of sight, out of mind...

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Auction May 26:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...as/?refer=news
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                        That's probably the best thing that could happen.
                        That's probably the worst thing that could happen.

I sympathize with a town that is dealing with a hoarder, be it cats, dogs, magazines, or....cars.
                        But I rile with the intrusion into losing one's liberties.
                        Where does the line get crossed?
                        People should be free to buy, sell, keep what they want.
                        But, we usually see the extremes when it comes to the news, or even the edges of our hobbies.
                        This is one of those cases where (IMHO) I tend to side with the municipality.
                        Enough is enough.
                        I can see the city, after years of not saying or doing anything, stepping in and saying 'clean it up'.
                        And the owner (a supposition on my part), who has done nothing to clean it up in decades...has to resort to the easiest way to 'clean it up'.
                        Calling the scrap metal guys is the easiest way out, but has the least payback.
                        Selling it all piece by piece takes the longest, and is definitely 'hands on'.
                        Marketing your plight on the Internet, and then auctioning it off makes sense.
                        Makes sense time wise, and payback wise.
                        It took some businessmen to save the Stude parts...
                        Doesn't look like there are any businessmen willing to take this Packard challenge on.
                        Makes one wonder how many small collections like this were crushed and nobody knew about it at all....
                        Something to ponder.....
                        Jeff
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Lawrence, KS Packard Auction link

Hi

Here's the auction link if it hasn't been posted otherwise:

http://kansasauctions.net/elston/05/26.php

Get your logistics and money together, get out there next Saturday to buy!

Steve

Comment

I believe I see three '56 Clippers. And they're beautiful tail lights haven't been robbed and grafted onto '55-'56 Fords yet!

Comment

Jeff, it is my understanding that the owner of the property died and the family has been working to resolve the estate. As in the case of many such cases, it ends up in an auction. The city has been very, very unobtrusive in this case--more of a gentle prodding to bring into compliance.

I speak somewhat from experience having lived within a few blocks of the property for several years about a decade ago.

I'll offer a counter point just for the sake of it--these cars have been non-op and the owner has refused to part with as much as a worn out wiper blade for decades. What if the city had stepped in and enforced the codes 25 years ago--some of those cars could have been saved. Resting as they are with the frames into the dirt the cars probably look better than they actually are.

The auction at least gives Packard folks the opportunity to collect what parts are left for resale. I doubt if anyone in the family is interested in stepping forward and turning it into a business--I'm honestly surprised it didn't all go the scrap yard with the price of scrap metal now.
                              Dave Nevin
                              Corvallis, OR
                              1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
                              X