Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packard Graveyard to possibly be scrapped!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for some first-hand insight, Dave. I've wondered if there isn't/wasn't some parts squirreled away somewhere (for resto or upkeep of these). Either way, seems a bit ironic that these are meeting their "fate" just as the factory they were created from meets its demise.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Yes, Drew.Please let us know if there are to be any auctions, offerings, etc. BP

Side note, Bob...Drew's family owned my old Skytop that is in Oz now, from '70 to '79.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

No Bob!
        Tell it like is actually is...............Sicilian.....specifically..............Palermo!!:-)
        Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        A little Spanish lingo, here: Crappola. BP

Comment

The printed inventory is not entirely accurate.

I see two 1956 Executive 4-doors and one 1956 Clipper hardtop and one 1956 Clipper 4-door sedan, all four of which use the same tail lamp assembly.

'Have to take their word on the Clippers being Supers or Customs, because the identifying script cannot be seen on the front fenders. The hardtop does not appear to have a rocker panel molding, making it a Super. But the molding on a Custom could have been knocked off or the clips rusted away and it fell off some time ago.

Gee, I hope they go to good homes. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

article in the local paper with video of a few of the cars:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/ma...-set-saturday/

Apparently most have sat there since 1963.
            Dave Nevin
            Corvallis, OR
            1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

And to bring some closure, a slide show with audio from the auction. Anybody from here make it?

http://www2.ljworld.com/videos/2012/may/26/35571/
              Dave Nevin
              Corvallis, OR
              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Sounds like these things sold close to scrap prices. Of course, if they weren't bought to be scrapped, that's a good thing.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                  Sounds like these things sold close to scrap prices. Of course, if they weren't bought to be scrapped, that's a good thing.
                  That's what I was thinking, Bob. There's probably some questions to which we don't want to know the answer. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

To take a more positive slant on it, I'm sure there were a few CAPOs (does such a thing even exist?) in attendance who appreciated being able to buy a parts car for $400.

(I think the guy in the bib overalls was probably a Packard collector disguised as a farmer in an attempt to go undercover and get lower bids.)
                    Dave Nevin
                    Corvallis, OR
                    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by dnevin View Post
                      To take a more positive slant on it, I'm sure there were a few CAPOs (does such a thing even exist?) in attendance who appreciated being able to buy a parts car for $400.

(I think the guy in the bib overalls was probably a Packard collector disguised as a farmer in an attempt to go undercover and get lower bids.)
                      I hope you're right, Dave.

Please confirm if you glean additional information.

Thanks for staying on top of this. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

There's a little more on it over at the HAMB, although no reports yet of the outcome:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=701550
                        Dave Nevin
                        Corvallis, OR
                        Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

anyone heard anything about the auction????

Comment

Working...
                          X