Matt-Don't feel bad-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt-Don't feel bad-

In Matts thread about his wheel coming off and bending his fender, I posted about never graduating from The School Of Hard Knocks.
    I offer proof of that today.
    Today, on my 48th birthday {technically 49th if you count your actual birth-day} I added a new chapter in my lesson plan for The School of Hard Knocks.
    I am fully aware that my C-cab does NOT have a nuetral safety switch, or any type of clutch safety switch, YET, in my haste and excitement of forward progress....you guessed it.

Mind you, I live in a housing tract surrounded by houses. We have 6-7000 sq ft lots and neighbors on all sides. My house actually contacts 5 other neighbors properties because I live in a culdesac and have a bit of a pie shaped lot.

I had started Oscar up earlier in the day and things were great. I needed to fit some pulleys so I put the truck in gear to help with the crank pulley bolt removal and install. I get my pulleys all aligned and bolted up. I fit my new thermostat and housing and a few other parts, and I connect a makeshift temporary water connection to my garden hose so I can run the motor for a while and maybe break in the cam. I got everything connected and water flowing, ready to run....and in my excitement I reach in the window and flip on the key and hit the starter button...stupid Studebakers have to start so easy, the thing fires right off, lunges forwards, pinches me between the door and my fence, keeps going, drives thru my neighbors fence and 2' into their yard before I can get my almost crushed body twisted around and turn off the key.

No worries, I am fine. A bit sore here and there. The truck is fine, it rolled over the grill that was leaning against the fence in front of it and bent a great condition straight C-cab grill. It broke the 2 cross braces of 2x4 and a few of the dog eared cedar fence slats and chipped a piece of bull nosed red brick.

So Matt, since these dumb things happened to You and to me prove that they happen to the best of us and the worst of us. At least you can say that your young, I am old enough to know better....as they say..."Stupid hurts" "you can't fix stupid" and "boy am I dumb"...well I say that alot anyway.

Oh man.. That sucks! Glad you're alright but, pity these old Studebakers that we're ruining.

Must be something about March 12th.. Today is my 22nd.

Oh, happy birthday as well!

Comment

I have nothing to add as I've never done anything that qualifies. Really. (ok, but there weren't any witnesses)

But I did want to wish you both a Happy Birthday. May the next year be free of Studebaker-related peril!
      Dave Nevin
      Corvallis, OR
      1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I'm glad I never did anything like that, except the time I replaced my gas gauge with a NOS gauge and reversed the ground and hot leads..... or the time I backed out of my shop in the dark and forgot I had a fifth wheel trailer with the slide extended into the driveway or.........

Comment

....or the time I forgot to replace the drain plug before I refilled the crankcase....did I use some bad words that day!
          Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
          I'm glad I never did anything like that, except the time I replaced my gas gauge with a NOS gauge and reversed the ground and hot leads..... or the time I backed out of my shop in the dark and forgot I had a fifth wheel trailer with the slide extended into the driveway or.........
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

No Studebakers or SDC Members were injured in my little mishap, except my ego!
            I bought my/our first new Car, for my Wife, a '73 Toyota Corona Sedan with a 22R overhead cam Engine.

So a couple thousand miles or so after I had the Dealer do it's first Oil & Filter change I decide it's time to give it another one.

The drain, fill and replace Oil Filter goes well, so I decide it's time to fire her up and check for leaks, well apparently these overhead cam thingys are able to throw some serious Oil by the time you get them shut down if you do not put the O ringed & sealed Oil Cap back on! Doh!
            What a Mess!
            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-12-2012, 11:11 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

nearly lost my 2R5 about 20 years ago when the wiring between the Generator and regulator caught fire....
              I did lose my Girlfriend that night when I screamed at her to get the F#$% away while I fought the fire...
              She didn't take it well, but as I explained, I'd rather scare her to death than get her burned...
              I was not going to lose that truck. Still have the truck. The girl? Who cares?

Comment

...or the time I bought a new set of chrome reverse wheels for my Lark, then proceeded to crush one of my shiny baby moon hubcaps when I hastily plopped one of the new wheels on the ground during brake service.
                ~Matt Connor
                '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Anyway, happy birthday to both of you. If it makes you feel any better, you don't belong to an exclusive club. Every one of us, sooner or later, does something that we will regret. Time to move on. As long as we come out of the problem relatively unscathed.
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

OUCH, Kelly! 'Glad you're OK. 'Take it easy. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks folks. Not that I would want anyone to make these kind of blunders, but it is kind of nice to know I am not alone....neither are you Matt. Thanks for the well wishes, I hope it made somebody laugh a little. I think I watched too much of the 3 Stooges as a kid.

Comment

HOLY S*@T! I KNEW I should have offered some garbage brand X thing that would've been tough to start!

OK, so let me tell about leaving the GT Hawk idling in the back yard - inadvertantly IN Drive - while I went out to the front yard to retrieve the radiator cap I'd left in the truck. I get ALMOST to the truck, when strage sounds - like that of breaking glass and snapping wood - get my attention. Sprinting (and you thought I couldn't!) back thru the garage, I find the Hawk (obviously living up to it's "bird-of-prey" image) had decided to attack my flight of doves. In pursuit of it's quarry, it took out several pieces of lawn furniture (including a glass-topped table) and smashed into the 2X4-frame dove enclosure. When I laid eyes on it, it had traversed about 50 feet from where I'd left it, and was idling away with it's nose pinning one dove in the crumpled wire mesh. Amazingly, it hadn't done any damage to itself. The dove did die later, and that was sad. But once I got the car shut off and started to disengage it from the wire and timbers, I realized the dove cage had served to stop the car just short of taking out my well station. THAT would've been ugly cause evern tho a little stupid - I can deal with - taking out our water supply would've had me kickin' my own backside for who knows HOW long!
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Happy Birthday to y'all. Forrest Gump was right. Back in my pizza delivery days I drove a 65 Econoline van. It had black mag wheels so I thought I'd dress it up with chrome lug nuts. Trouble was they were the wrong lugs for the wheels. One wheel worked itself over the lugs & went rolling past me down a dirt road. The new holes in the wheel were huge. The hole in my wallet was bigger!

Comment

I think I can beat all of you guys. My first Studebaker was a 57 Silver hawk (I am in high school in 1966 ) anyway the car had a auto trans, which stopped working, so I put a 3 speed into it. Well one day the car would not start, I opened the hood to jump it. I stuck my head into the window and hit the gear shift in the floor to take it out of gear, well it went into reverse and I did know it. I heald the carb open and jumped it, it started right away and down the road it goes. It hit a wall at a angle and bent the rear fender, the door and even the roof. That was the end of that car. Now don't you feel better, Terry

Comment

Glad you're OK, Kelly. The other stuff can be fixed. I too forgot the drain plug when I was in high school and poured five quarts of Valvoline on the gas station floor. And I had my 2R15's front axle on jack stands while the front brake shoes were out being relined. A buddy came over to see it so I started it up for him. Forgot it was in gear and let the clutch out. Embarrassing.
                              Rick
                              Kingman, AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X