Free for the taking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free for the taking

I have the engine, transmission, and rearend from a 1950 Champion that I am offering free for the taking. The engine turns over but I don't know if it runs, it did about 15 years ago. It is the 170 flathead six, bone stock, and complete ail cleaner to oil pan. The transmission does shift, three speed, and I believe it has the overdrive unit also (looks like an electric motor on the tailshaft???).

I was trying to sell it, but it seems no one wants it. So rather than junk a piece of automotive history, I am giving it away to who ever can come and get it. I am located in El Paso Texas. I have a hoist and will help load it, just come and get it!!

Good luck, if you offer to deliver and give some one $100.00 buck it might go away, some times it is just time for things to go away.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Wow!...I know you said El Paso, but your signature says Anthony, Texas. Can you go much further west and still be in Texas? I used to be ready for a road trip about as much as anybody, but at today's gas prices, meals, motels, etc.... that "free" engine would probably be over $1,500.00... IF I were able to roll back in my driveway safely.

Hopefully, someone nearby can claim it.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Bet Chris D. would love to get that to recreate his '53 prototype skytop or whatever it is he called it.
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

I would love to have at least the OD but Texas is a L O N G way from here. Steve
          sigpic

Comment

These are really great little engines. And in spite of what so many detractors say (detractors who've never actually driven a good one), they perform nicely. Can run sweeter than sugar and deliver good economy - which is what they were designed to do in 1939. I've daydreamed about devising a 40s sports car roadster with one of these 170s. That would be a fun machine! Sadly, there's a glut of them from scrapped or rodded Studes, as this kind person found out.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

This is something that I would gladly accept for free, or even pay a few bucks for, because I know that the transmission parts, at least, would be good for future sale. But El Paso is a long, long way from my stompin' grounds.

My suggestions: every couple of months, offer it here again. If you see a thread about somebody making a road trip across I-10 with trailer, drop a reminder in the thread. Also, search this site for contact information for SDC chapters nearby, say from southern Arizona through to mid-Texas. Most chapters probably will give you a free ad insertion in their newsletter, and chapter newsletters often get read by folks who don't surf the Internet.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I might be out in Ruidoso in August.

Comment

Originally posted by ozarkman View Post
                  I might be out in Ruidoso in August.
                  Looks like I might still have it then judging by everyone's overflowing enthusiasm! It's not my fault everyone lives so stinkin' far away!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Wow!...I know you said El Paso, but your signature says Anthony, Texas. Can you go much further west and still be in Texas?
                    About a quarter mile further west.
                    Last edited by manest; 03-12-2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

My place has served as "last stand" for a number of these thru the last 20 years. Folks like you would rather they reside with me, and have SOME sorta shot at redemption as opposed to dropping them on the scrappers scale in their first step towards far east smelters. I found a home for one last fall - young fella wanting to build one for his M-series truck and getting the bonus of a T-86 OD tranny in the bargain. And I've still got a '52 vintage motor out of a Champion out back. It was dumped here along with TWO others, by a rodder who was making 3 or 4 identical bullet-nosed Starlights for he, his dad and brothers to storm car shows with. I was sad to hear that the 52 engine came out of a Bakersfield car that the owner was too old to drive anymore. All his cars "upgraded" to the obligatory SBC.
                      One of the sixes ran SO nice that I managed to find it a home for a hundred bucks! But that was some years ago. The engine that went for the M-series? I"lost" on that one, unless you count the satisfaction I got from pulling it out of a rod project 2R5. Otherwise, it would've been morphed into some appliances or cheap Chinese tools.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I would be very interested in both of these for our 24 hours of lemons car. Would you be willing to arrange shipping, if we're willing to pay for it?

Anyone travelling from Texas to Atlanta, feel free to drag these with you!

--buddy
                        Last edited by nullset; 03-14-2012, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nullset View Post
                          I would be very interested in both of these for our 24 hours of lemons car. Would you be willing to arrange shipping, if we're willing to pay for it?

Anyone travelling from Texas to Atlanta, feel free to drag these with you!

--buddy
                          Yeah, I could help out with setting up the shipping.

Comment

That is great news, even though that race started out for 'lemon cars' The people that are into it and run it it know that even if the thing makes it to the end, the car is no 'lemon' I wish you guys luck and am happy Studebaker will get some good exposure. Great news if you can get that engine where you need it!

Comment

Anyone out there that is familiar with shipping things like this, please get in touch with me. I'd be interested in at least the engine and transmission. The rear end would be great too, but I fear it would be very expensive to ship. It would be going from El Paso, Tx to Atlanta, Ga.

--buddy

Comment

Working...
                              X