Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help.... not sure where to start here but I have a 1948 Studebaker Commander Land Cruiser. A friend gave it to fix up. I was going to drop the oil out and the drain plug broke lose and now just spins, won't tighten or come out. I need some advice on how to proceed.

Comment

• Hello I’m from SoCal and my wife just inherited this stude from her grandfather that passed away it’s a 60s hawk and it drives pretty good seems like rear brakes are stuck and power steering puked all over the place. So I’ve been looking for a replacement pump but it’s hard to find anything at a decent price. I have a 4.8 LS that I’m planing to throw at it but finding swap info is even harder hah xD well anywho I’m not new to American cars but this Studebaker has me thrown for a loop I’ll probably get to know you guys pretty well. Thanks in advance for putting up with my questions I would post pics but can’t figure out how on mobile iOS.

Comment

• Figured it out
        Attached Files

Comment

• Newby

Originally posted by (S) View Post
          A few years back, BP added up new forum members, new Stude owners etc.

I notice lately lots of new posters, and lots of new people coming through my website and other Stude websites.

Well Bob, show us some new numbers, we must be growing??? And WELCOME to all the new guys!

And- can our membership secratary see a new jump in members yet?

new guys, (post here)

Hello forum, I'm a newby. I have Grandpa's 52 Champion about 80% street worthy after being parked for 30 or so years after I used to drive it when I was in high school. I've been using the site as a resource the past year or so, and today I turned in my app for the SDG and registered to post here. Look forward to everyone's help, it already has been a bit help to me.

John D. Lakewood, Colorado

Comment

• Howdy New member here Have a 56 powerhawk Getting ready to restore it. Just finished a garage extension where the fun will begin. Pic to follow Thanks Doug

Comment

• Welcome. Looking forward to hearing of your plans for the Hawk.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

• Originally posted by (S) View Post
                A few years back, BP added up new forum members, new Stude owners etc.

I notice lately lots of new posters, and lots of new people coming through my website and other Stude websites.

Well Bob, show us some new numbers, we must be growing??? And WELCOME to all the new guys!

And- can our membership secratary see a new jump in members yet?

new guys, (post here)
                Hi — We are new to the forum ... added just yesterday when my husband and son came home with our 16 year old’s new love of his life — a ‘59 Studebaker Lark VI! He is an old car buff, and had been saving his first penny — when he came across this car with his uncle and dad, he couldn’t say no, so emptied out his piggy bank! I am sure that he will join on his own once he settles into summer, but he has just embarked on making a “To DO” list with his two partners in crime! One question we all have — is there a way to find out where this car was made (we are pretty sure it was South Bend vs. Canada), and where it was first sold? We did read the post about the ID tag on the firewall under the hood, just arent sure how to decode most of it. Can anyone help us out here? Looking forward to watching him get it all shined up and ready to go, but he has a pretty good list to get through first!Click image for larger version

Name:	A35493BA-7A5F-4D4A-8155-BD21832FC913.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1728334

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishstix View Post
                  Hi — We are new to the forum ... added just yesterday when my husband and son came home with our 16 year old’s new love of his life — a ‘59 Studebaker Lark VI! He is an old car buff, and had been saving his first penny — when he came across this car with his uncle and dad, he couldn’t say no, so emptied out his piggy bank! I am sure that he will join on his own once he settles into summer, but he has just embarked on making a “To DO” list with his two partners in crime! One question we all have — is there a way to find out where this car was made (we are pretty sure it was South Bend vs. Canada), and where it was first sold? We did read the post about the ID tag on the firewall under the hood, just arent sure how to decode most of it. Can anyone help us out here? Looking forward to watching him get it all shined up and ready to go, but he has a pretty good list to get through first![ATTACH=CONFIG]81645[/ATTACH]
                  Welcome to the SDC Forum and the wonderful world of Studebakers. He should join the Studebaker Drivers Club (can access from this site) and a local chapter.
                  The tag under the hood is a body tag that gives information about the body. The more important tag is the Serial Number tag on the driver's side A-pillar between the door hinges (should start with 59S). From this number I can tell you where the car was assembled (59S from South Bend and 59SC from Canada) and you can order a production order telling you much about the car from the Studebaker National Museum.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• Good luck with your Lark -- one of Studebaker's most successful cars. Here's a link to the Stude Natl Museum.

https://www.studebakermuseum.org/store/

Parts are available from a variety of vendors.

http://www.studebakervendors.com/
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

• Hey all. Picked up a nice 60 Lark VIII 4 door sedan this past weekend. Been spending my spare time learning about the car and the brand. As soon as I can upload a photo I will.

Comment

• Welcome. 60 Lark V8s are great cars -- quicker than you would expect, maneuverable, comfortable, and roomy. You'll find nearly all parts to keep it moving are readily available. Rust is their only enemy.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

• That is a 1957 President classic.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaveyG View Post
                            Hi all! Newb from Idaho, just picked up this 56 President that is mostly complete from what I can tell. Curious where I should start troubleshooting to see if it’ll start or run. Has the 259 v8 I think. (Definitely a v8, just not positive if it’s 259 or something else) I want to do as little as possible to it other than drastically overdue maintenance, and some fresh stitching in the interior, and just make it into a ‘survivor’ ‘barn find’ weekend cruiser.
                            That is a 1957 President Classic.

Comment

• Stop by this forum often to keep my motivation up. A couple of years ago I bought a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk. It must have been ordered as kind of a performance vehicle. Has 3 sp. overdrive, power steering, hd. springs, hd. shocks, climatizer and not much else. The car is an unknown because the previous owner started a restoration (stripping some paint) and passed on. The engine has been painted to match the Azure blue metallic paint and the aluminum has been polished along with chrome items. It has an Ansen floor shifter with (I believe) bucket seats from a '60 hawk. The fins are white. I just had the supercharger rebuilt at Paradise wheels and a new hp impeller installed. They did a beautiful job. Before I retired, I seem to have overloaded myself on cars and trucks. I'm hoping to have an addition completed on my shop this summer so I will have a heated place to work. Luckily I have a big barn to store everything in. My Hawk is rust free coming from Eastern Wash. and now residing here in Bend, Oregon. (dry side of Cascade Mts.) When I get going I will figure out the picture situation.

Comment

• Hello from down under
                                I’ve been lurking for quite a while, thought I would introduce myself and share a few pics of the “new project” 55 Commander Coupe. I have just returned from the engine shop with re-conditioned heads, which included new valves, guides and springs and a nice clean block which was re-bored and had new cam bearings installed, they also machined and balanced the crank. While waiting for the engine work to be done I moved onto the frame and suspension. A long way to go and lots to learn but enjoying every minute so far. I’ve been doing lots of searches on this great site and found lots of information!
                                Cheers
                                Stu
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2362.jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1728749Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2047.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1728750Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2384 (1).jpg