This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denee,
    Sorry for flood losses. It must be a terrible heartbreak.
    Luck with your Stude project.
    We have tons of vendors so just about anything you'll need is available.
    Welcome,
    Bill

Comment

• Thank you Bill, I've yet to convince Gary(hubby) that I really need that old car rotting away, however, when I get over there and it's rusted out, it was nice to venture out
      Dne'

my blog:
      www.classiccarsandtools.com
      67 Mustang coupe (being re-restored)
      71 Triumph TR6 (miata engine/trans/nissan diff)
      59 Chevy Apache

Comment

• It should be fun, just checked out your blog, what a cool girl you are, what passion for the bygone.

Comment

• Hi all! Newb from Idaho, just picked up this 56 President that is mostly complete from what I can tell. Curious where I should start troubleshooting to see if it’ll start or run. Has the 259 v8 I think. (Definitely a v8, just not positive if it’s 259 or something else) I want to do as little as possible to it other than drastically overdue maintenance, and some fresh stitching in the interior, and just make it into a ‘survivor’ ‘barn find’ weekend cruiser.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Welcome! Remove the plugs and put some oil/PB Blaster in there, remove the valve covers and coat the valve stems too if it has not turned over in awhile.

They are pretty tough, rebuild the carb and fuel pump, run it on a gas can if the tank is bad- you can clean it if it is not rusted inside. Replace the small rubber fuel line back there and any others near the engine. Be sure the engine turns and the valves ALL move up and down before you go to run it. Put in some new points and give it a shot. Take your time, be safe. Have a fire extinguisher handy.

This is a 1957 by the way! The tag under the hood on the firewall and the tag in the drivers door jamb will confirm the year if you want to post the numbers on the tags we can decipher them for you. Nice looking car!

Comment

• Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Dave!

Great looking '57 President!

You have a Top of the line, 1957 President CLASSIC, "Y" Body stretched, Luxury Sedan on the Hawk 120 Inch Wheelbase!
              These came with the 289 4V Dual Exhaust, 225 HP Engine.
              The Crossed Flags V8 Emblem on the Fenders indicate a "289".

To verify that it is still there, Look at the Engine number, it should start with a "P" for President.
              The I. D. breakdown is located here, at the bottom of the page is WHERE to look:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp
              Last edited by StudeRich; 04-03-2019, 03:00 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

• Awesome! Glad to see it’s the higher power 289 model. I highly doubt it’s been swapped, but it is currently residing at a friends’ farm for the next week or two while I get the garage ready for it. As soon as I get her home I’ll post more pics as well as those numbers in my own forum post. It’s not my first old vehicle, but it has been a few years since I cleaned and adjusted points haha. I’m really jacked to have her though! And best of all, so is the wife!

Comment

• Hello all from a newbie. But only a former owner. Here's the story. Regret if I ramble too much.
                  First, Mayor Pete's candidacy reminded me I was born at a hospital on Michigan Ave, almost within sight of Notre Dame's Golden Dome, and then that my grandparent's lived for many years at the corner of Miami St. and Ewing Avenue, about ten or twelve blocks from the Studebaker factory which we passed by often, both when working and when standing silent. My mother and three uncles graduated from Riley High; two of the uncles joined the Army/Navy right out of school for WWII and saw combat.
                  Family myth: We all believed my grandfather, who then lived in Ligonier, Michigan, was offered a chance to join a group of founders to invest in Feferman Studebaker, which became the world's largest Studebaker dealer. He declined, saying that the automobile was going to be short-lived. Whatever the truth of that one, he never drove anything but a Studebaker until the factory closed.
                  Famous Studebaker Owners: Mayor Pete's candidacy got me wondering why he hasn't mentioned Studebaker in talking about South Bend's recovery, certainly its well embedded local history, and a lot of famous people owned Studebakers. So I googled that and came up with a Studebaker forum thread that named them. I would expect the SDC has somewhere compiled that list. Admittedly, most a probably unknown to younger people. Here is one more name for you. Lee Kuan Yew, the legendary prime minister of Singapore who was responsible for its phenomenal growth, was a friend of my father's (a US diplomat) when I was 14 and living in Singapore. Lee was not prime minister yet, but rather a "radical" labor leader who the British wanted to throw in jail for being a Communist. He was not, although he used them. Lee drove a Studebaker then. Unfortunately, I don't know what model and have been unable to find more info.
                  1931 Studebaker: Living in Uruguay (also as a diplomat) in the 80's, I visited the local Ford plant, which employed 300 persons assembling Falcons imported as kits from Argentina. Totally uneconomic, but the plant was protected by high tariffs. The foreman had a 1931 Studebaker four door convertible which he proudly showed me. More interesting than the assembly line. I would bet its still running. Uruguay was famous for having lots of old cars (even more so than Havana today). For example, there were 4,000 Model A's registered and running on the roads. Most of those are probably still around. What stops their being bought up by collectors? While mostly original (as in Havana) they are no longer pristine originals but a lot of cars with different parts on them. Restoration would be expensive.
                  My Studebaker: It was a two-door Rocket Nose 1951 Commander V-8 that we paid about $500 for. It ran beautifully for my four years at U. Michigan and was one of the best cars I have ever owned. 20 mpg, totally reliable until the day it died. Wish I had kept it; as I also wish about only several other cars I have owned.

Well, I have gone on too long, but I have enjoyed these reminisces. Best regards to all and good luck to Mayor Pete. Stewpot

Comment

• Re Mayor Pete: I have heard him mention Studebaker during a couple of interviews, one on TV and one on NPR. He was neither positive nor negative -- just discussed the closure as the kind of trigger that led to the malaise now dragging down the old industrial belt.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

• Hi, All! Totally New Studebaker owner. Just picked up my 62 Studebaker Lark Cruiser and am ready to get started on her rebuild. Looking forward to learning from you folks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_123656_cropped.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	1727639
                      Joshua - "AutoRestoNewb"
                      1962 Lark Cruiser
                      YouTube Channel

Comment

• Originally posted by AutoRestoNewb View Post
                        Hi, All! Totally New Studebaker owner. Just picked up my 62 Studebaker Lark Cruiser and am ready to get started on her rebuild. Looking forward to learning from you folks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80193[/ATTACH]
                        Welcome to Studebakers and the SDC Forum.
                        The car looks good. Why do you believe that it needs a "rebuild"?
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• Not so much a rebuild as a restoration. Mostly interior stuff and paint. The kid who owned the Lark before the owner I purchased it from painted flames on only one fender. Would also like to upgrade the 6v Generator to an 12v Alternator. Overdrive transmission somewhere down the road.
                          Joshua - "AutoRestoNewb"
                          1962 Lark Cruiser
                          YouTube Channel

Comment

• Originally posted by AutoRestoNewb View Post
                            Not so much a rebuild as a restoration. Mostly interior stuff and paint. The kid who owned the Lark before the owner I purchased it from painted flames on only one fender. Would also like to upgrade the 6v Generator to an 12v Alternator. Overdrive transmission somewhere down the road.
                            Perhaps you can get the flames off without damaging the underlying paint.
                            Studebaker last used a 6v system in the 1955 models.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• New 64 Champ owner . Seems a bit of a put together piece but mostly solid . I am looking forward to sorting it out .

I have worked on this truck a little in the past , but it had been sitting mostly idle for several years . From what I see it was a stick 6 that has had a V8 and auto added in at some point . P/S has been added (poorly) and an under dash add on A/C . I got a box with some extra parts , a different manifold and a distributor. The front springs are washed out of it and my spring guy is making me up a new set . The engine is running pretty well after I filed the points and put a new set of plugs and fresh gas in it and the trans shifts crisply . I really need to get into the brakes as I know they gave not been looked after in 10 years or more and although they stop fairly well , they want to stick . Lots to do , but the body is in pretty good shape considering .

I ended up with this truck through the good fortune of the previous owner moving and not wanting to move the truck and my wife suggesting we buy a shop vehicle . I run a auto repair shop and do a fair amount of work on older vehicles , presently working on a 31 Buick , 51 Ford and 55 Ford . I have worked on just about everything from hit-miss engines and ponies to all kinds of Ag and dirt work tractors . I love to work on old stuff . We wanted something different than the run of the mill and this opportunity came along . The owner new I would take care of it and keep it Studebaker .

I have been surfing around the site and it looks to be a trove of great info on all things Studebaker . I think I will enjoy putting all the knowledge and resources here to good use . Thanks , JH. Click image for larger version

Name:	20140716_115319.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1727841Click image for larger version

Name:	20140716_115312.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1727842

Comment

• Welcome to the forum and good luck with your truck. Looks like you got a good start on a good vehicle.
                                Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                                X