Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that your final answer ?
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    The obvious reason that Black Trucks are rare, is that since Trucks were built to "USE" for hauling and Black shows every scratch, nick, chip, dirt and speck of dust, no one would want that on their work Truck.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I think that most folks buying trucks back then could care less about what the color was. The concerns were capacity, and, of course, bottom line price. Things have changed a bit! (Well, not about the bottom line!)

Comment

Black fenders were STANDARD on many trucks in the 30s and 40s. I'm sure many of those fenders got scratched, chipped, dented, etc. The bed (and rear fenders) were entirely black on Dodges as standard on some into the late 40s and maybe early 50s. Matching the cab color was extra!
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

There weren't many Studebaker trucks around here when I was growing up, but it seemed like 75% of the 1949-early 1952 Chevrolet and GMC picks were black. I think all of the ones I actually rode in were black. I never thought about why. It just seemed normal.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Strangely enough I found this picture among the ones I had in my computer. Of course, I don't know if it was stock.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture Black Champ 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1672137Here is a picture of my black 61 Champ, January 1961 production. I believe its one of the first with the P2 bed. The paint on the bed is original but I painted the cab/front end sheet metal back in 91 & its showing thin in spots. The cab was replaced-thats why the "Champ" emblem is lower than the fender moulding. It should be in line with the fender moulding-higher only on the 61. All other year Champs used the moulding on the body line. Mine still hasnt had the front mouldings installed from when I removed the front end panel to R&I the engine/transmission assy to replace the clutch. I'm a bad boy.
              Last edited by Warren Webb; 03-08-2012, 11:16 PM.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                There weren't many Studebaker trucks around here when I was growing up, but it seemed like 75% of the 1949-early 1952 Chevrolet and GMC picks were black. I think all of the ones I actually rode in were black. I never thought about why. It just seemed normal.
                Interesting, in Calif. most of those very common '49-early '55 Chevy/GMC's were Dark Green, Red and Blue!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                X